Well, that was an ordeal

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Well, that was an ordeal

Post by FedoraDave »

I brewed a fiver of 100 Years War IPA this morning. It should have been a really short brew day, since it's an extract recipe.

But when I started to set up downstairs for chilling the wort, I made an awful discovery. As I usually do, I hooked up my copper immersion chiller to the water line and to the waste line, which feeds directly into my sump pump. I turned the water on to fill the whole thing with water, and discovered a leak in the chiller, at the bend near the intake. I slid the intake feed further down to try to cover it, but it still spurted a steady stream of water. I couldn't use this without risking A) contaminating my wort and B) having a real mess in my basement.

So I was reduced to chilling my wort with nothing but an ice bath. I had to run out to get another bag of ice, too. It took nearly two hours to get it down to 66 degrees, when it usually takes only 15 minutes or so, with the immersion chiller and ice bath combined.

So I need to head out and see if there's something like a caulk, only for copper tubing, that will seal the leak and allow me to continue using this immersion chiller. Doesn't need to be food-grade or anything, since it's not going to go anywhere near the wort. And I don't want something that requires solder or other equipment/skills, since I don't have any of those.

Suggestions? Or do I have to buy a whole new immersion chiller next time I go to the LHBS?
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Well, that was an ordeal

Post by MrBandGuy »

I don't have any suggestions, Dave, but I'd be interested. My chiller had a small leak at a soldering joint, discovered as I chilled. I let it ride and the beer turned out fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

How about some Flex Tape? Works on boats!!! :D :lol:
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

A couple of my Facebook friends suggested Flexseal, actually. It's not food grade, but I know that part of the chiller will never touch the beer.

When I go to Lowe's tomorrow, I'll ask and shop around, because I know I'll probably use a small amount of whatever it is just this once, then lose the container in the Labyrinth of Junk that is my basement. So I don't want to wind up buying a huge container of it. I also won't need to use the wort chiller for a while, since I'm not planning any five-gallon batches for another couple weeks, at least.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
dbrowning
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by dbrowning »

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

dbrowning, that may be just what the MD prescribed! Thanks large. I will look for it at Lowe's, and if they don't have it (or something similar) I will definitely stop at my local (but slightly further away) Wally World.

Or I could order it online; as I said, I probably wouldn't need it for another couple weeks.

ETA: I just checked the website for my local Lowe's, and they have JB Weld. It claims to do what I want it to do, and it says "Drinking Water Safe" on the packaging. Not that it would be an issue, but it's good to know. Guess that's what I'll be looking for tomorrow morning!
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

My father and brother have been sailors for many, many years and being out on the water we have had occasions that we needed to patch various holes or leaks and make sure they were water proof. To do the job we have used marine epoxy to create a worry free seal to patch said holes.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-0-85 ... /100371825
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

JB Weld
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Tubing cutter and a union compression fitting, cut out the bad area install compression fitting and tighten the nuts!
https://www.google.com/search?q=compres ... 9nRTzAs%3D
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Well, I found some JB Weld at my local Lowe's, so I have that. But it seems there really isn't any breach in the chiller after all.

I connected the hoses the opposite way of how I usually connect them, thinking that it might be easier to see where the water was coming out if it wasn't as close to the source. I ran water through it at low pressure, but didn't see anything. I increased the pressure and still didn't see anything. So I reconnected the hoses the way I usually do and used full pressure. Nothing. So it seems I simply didn't tighten the hose clamps completely BOTH TIMES yesterday.

Well, I'm keeping the JB Weld handy, just in case something happens at some point. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Glad you got it squared away. :clink:
After awhile hoses rubber/vinyl can become hard and brittle making it difficult to get a good seal. New hoses can be cheap insurance over ruining a beer.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

If the chiller was sanitized, I doubt it would have been a problem. Oh yeah, putting it into hot wort sanitizes it, heh.

65 deg? I chill mine down to about 80 after the boil, but I'm doing less than 5 gal mash, and bring it up to the 5gal line in the fermenter by adding cold water which I tap into the brew pot which is obviously sanitized as it had been used for the boil, so that further brings it down to pitch. It's like the Mr. Beer method, only after a mash and hop boil. To get it down to 80 after the boil, I just set the brew pot in the slop sink and surround it with cool water. Drain sink and refill a couple times. No ice. Takes about 20-25 mins, but the volume is about 3 gals til I dump into fermenter and add more water.

So you did the right thing not taking a chance, but I never had signs of any goobs in my tapwater. Look at all the MrB batches we've made adding water.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Good point, Tabasco. I just like doing full-volume boils. When I do a 2.5 gallon batch, I chill it the same way you describe; just put it in the sink with tap water and change out the water whenever it gets too warm. I do use refrigerated water toward the end, to get it into the mid-60s, though. All part of the process I've developed over the years.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

FedoraDave wrote:Good point, Tabasco. I just like doing full-volume boils. When I do a 2.5 gallon batch, I chill it the same way you describe; just put it in the sink with tap water and change out the water whenever it gets too warm. I do use refrigerated water toward the end, to get it into the mid-60s, though. All part of the process I've developed over the years.
Nice.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Whatever works, right? :fedora:
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next: