Coming soon...

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Coming soon...

Post by alb »

Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
Beer-lord

Re: Coming soon...

Post by Beer-lord »

Isn't that what Kombucha is for?
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I thought that meant homebrew.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Any unfiltered and especially young / fresh sour beers ( that is not kettle soured, but fermented with live bugs ) is this.

IE an authentic Berliner, or the fresh sours they sell in parts of Europe that folks drink like lemonade.

So ?

If they actually made sour beer with IBUs like an American beer then it would taste awful and they can keep it in China.
Beer-lord wrote:Isn't that what Kombucha is for?
Kombucha is just weak bad sour beer made out of what we would call "adjuncts" that people blend with things to make it consumable IMHO.

I'd rather make good sour beer.

Or Kvass. Kvass done the real way is like Kombucha except its actually good.
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

mashani wrote:Or Kvass. Kvass done the real way is like Kombucha except its actually good.
True dat.

But all things considered, :give: :beer:
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Before I start my thoughtful response, let me say that I think this is mostly marketing. It's ONE STRAIN of bacteria. Even cheap no-name yogurt has more than that.

I think probiotics are important, and I've been making and eating/drinking a lot of fermented food (yogurt, kefir, miso, tempeh, natto, sauerkraut, kimchi, kombucha).

But I've started to think that probiotics are less important than prebiotics. Bacteria, yeast, and fungi are everywhere and we eat them all the time. Some (most?) die in the stomach due to the acidity (otherwise StarSan wouldn't work). Others make it to the intestines. If they make it to the intestines, they might colonize. But if they do, what then? If we're eating a diet that won't feed them, how can we expect them to thrive?

I've read that most people should get about 30 g of fiber per day, but most Americans get less than 15 g per day. And fiber is the main food for probiotics.

So if we really want to improve out gut health, we should be increasing our fiber intake first and only taking probiotics if that doesn't help.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

so go back to my first brew then it is
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

@BPGreen, I think that if you got something that made you go on a round of antibiotics though then you might want to load back up on probiotics as well as fiber to help recolonize your gut more quickly.

We eat lots of fermented foods here too. Fermented things are all good for you. I make my own often, but also I'm somewhat addicted to this kimchee like kraut hybrid with jalapenos that a local company makes and bottles live that's called "Gnar Gnar". They make a red cabbage and beet one too that's pretty excellent.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

mashani wrote:@BPGreen, I think that if you got something that made you go on a round of antibiotics though then you might want to load back up on probiotics as well as fiber to help recolonize your gut more quickly.

We eat lots of fermented foods here too. Fermented things are all good for you. I make my own often, but also I'm somewhat addicted to this kimchee like kraut hybrid with jalapenos that a local company makes and bottles live that's called "Gnar Gnar". They make a red cabbage and beet one too that's pretty excellent.
I should have included that caveat. Yes. Antibiotics are pretty indiscriminate, killing both the good and bad. I think combating gut problems following antibiotic treatment is what led to all the interest in probiotics.
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

I use oxyclean free to wash my cat ... she doesn't like it!