Leeuwenhook Saison Blend

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Leeuwenhook Saison Blend

Post by mashani »

It showed up on my doorstep today. White Labs shipped it 2nd day, and packaged it nicely with big ice blocks, which were not ice anymore, but the yeast wasn't totally baked by the sun at least. So anyone concerned about ordering directly from the yeast vault, your going to get it about as good and fresh as it can be gotten this time of year.

I will post whatever I do with it here.

I's a mix of Belgian Saison and French Saison yeast with some other kind of Belgian strain that must not turn into a total banana/nailpolish bomb at very high temps, or else it would render this yeast somewhat useless.
IMG_2627.jpg
IMG_2627.jpg (83.92 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Leeuwenhook Saison Blend

Post by berryman »

How do you go about and get it directly from WL?
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

berryman wrote:How do you go about and get it directly from WL?
From the yeast vault: https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-vault?t ... y_5_tid=23
It's yeast that are not available at LHBS or other places and may take months before they reach their number to ship out. But, they don't charge your credit card until it is ready to ship.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Cool!!!
Let me know what you come up with. I have some on the way too I'm hoping to see it tomorrow. I was thinking about revisiting some of my tried and true Saison recipes with it.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I'm probably going to first make basically the same recipe I did recently with the New Nordic yeast (the "Single Karmelite") except with this yeast and maybe different hop. Since I already have the PM for it done. It should turn out quite nice.

I might do a straight up Dupont and/or Hennepin clone except with this yeast.

I might do a fruit one like the Plum saison I made last year because that was totally delicious and I have been wishing I still had some for months now.

But I don't know for sure yet.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Well I did the Plum Saison, basically the same recipe* I posted last year, except done as 2.6 gallons instead of 3 (due to what fermenter I had available), and for my hop I used one of the experimental south African hops that described its flavor/aroma as "blueberries, lychee, sweet fruits", so I didn't see how that was going to hurt anything here, and of course this yeast instead of Bella Saison.

* So basically except for the grain bill and juice, nothing else was the same LOL. Oh well.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

I pitched my starter into my Zoo House Saison recipe at 4pm yesterday and it was going this morning, OG was 1.054. My BIAB mash started at 149 and had only dropped to 146 after 90 minutes so it should dry out well. The smell of the starter was interesting. Not yeasty like most, but more or a flower type smell......jasmine maybe. Looking forward to how this turns out.

Recipe: Zoo House Saison w/Fuggles
Brewer: Naked Cat Brewery
Asst Brewer: The whole damn crew.
Style: Saison
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.91 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.03 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.30 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 4.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.9 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
9 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 80.9 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.5 %
1 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 8.5 %
4.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.1 %
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 13.7 IBUs
1.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 7.4 IBUs
1.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 4.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg WLP564 Leeuwenhoek Saison Yeast Blend (W Yeast 9 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs 12.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 39.07 qt of water at 153.4 F 147.9 F 90 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------
Pitch yeast at 68* and allow to free rise, ramp up temperature over the course of the week to 85-90*.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
Shipwreck Saison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

That's interesting. I wonder if the floral smell is coming from the "low phenol Belgian strain" that is part of the mix. I don't recall ever getting floral aromas from French or Belgian saison strains, although the Belgian one can make a lot of Bubblegum.

Do you always use Fuggles in that? I'd probably have formulated it with Styrian Goldings in my brain, but they are basically Fuggles grown somewhere else, so hey why not... It sounds like it should be nice regardless, I love Fuggles.

The New Nordic yeast in the Viking beer made strong floral aromas as well as a ton of fruit fermented warm. If I was to use my kids terminology it would be a "crap ton". So much that it might be off-putting to some people. Think fruit IPA except with totally different fruit (ripe pears, apples, oranges, and banana) and of course less bitter since there were no bittering hops at all in it, just Juniper. It does seem to be mellowing a bit with age and if mellows a bit if I leave it in the fridge for a while too. But it's potent. I like it, but some people would hate I'm sure. I've got a young bottle of the dubbel I made with it in the fridge, so I'll know more about that soonish. And I'm really not sure what single and also the last batch I started a lot cooler will end up like yet.

Anyways, I'm assuming this won't be so fruity and will be more spice and bubblegum, but who knows.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

I normally use Tettnang with this, but had the fuggles on hand.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
Shipwreck Saison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I made a pretty simple 3 gallon batch of wheat saison (45% Pils, 45% Wheat, 10% Sugar, OG 1.057). 1oz Goldings (4%) for Bittering, 1/2 oz Saaz (2%) @20, 1/2oz Saaz (2%) @7. I pitched the yeast at 78 degrees, and I'm planning on letting it ferment about that warm for 3 days, then warming it up more to finish.

Next batch will probably be a straight up DuPoint clone like batch except with this yeast, depending on how these first two taste at the temps I've gone with. I'm just not sure what the Belgian strain mixed in to this blend will do if I pitch and actively ferment even warmer then this... which is what I'd do for a DuPont clone... but why I didn't try one with this yeast yet...
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Well instead of DuPont clone, I went with another plum Saison, except this time with the juice from the LAFS, which is light colored, more tart, and not like "warriors drink".

And since it's IPA day, I decided to not bitter it like one, but at least finish it sort of like one. So I tried to figure out what might go good with the plum, and decided that Nelson Sauvin would be just the thing.

I had enough frozen "wheat beer mash" to give me a 1.018 wort at 6 gallons of volume (diluted) based on its OG, so I added 4# of MoreBeer Pils to that to give me a theoretical gravity of about 1.042 at 6 gallons.

So I brought that to a boil in my 16Q pot (remember I top up anything more then 3 gallons), did a 10 minute total boil. Threw 1/2oz of Southern Promise (in the last batch I used it in it's very much like a fuggles / noble hop mix), and 2oz of Nelson Sauvin @5. And then did a 20 minute lid on hop stand. Since this stuff is all about 12% AA, it's got plenty of bitterness.

The amount of plum juice I threw into each 3 gallon fermenter by my reckoning is about the equivalent of 7 oz of sugar, so between that and the wort, it should be right around 1.047 to 1.049 or there about. In theory. I didn't measure it because it would have been a PITA in this case because of splitting wort, the juice, and top up water to get me to 6 gallons and I've got fruit flies, so didn't want to leave fermenters open or futz around. Whatever it is, it's close enough.

So I partially chilled the wort, put the juice in, split the wort, then added top up water to each, my wort temp was 76 degrees at that point, so I just pitched the yeast, it's something like 80 in my basement right now since my AC is toast, so this stuff will get close to 90 easily anyways because of this.

So I am brewing at DuPont like temps at least.

I've got 2 more oz of Nelson, maybe I will dry hop it. Or maybe not. It depends on what it tastes like later.