Clean your beer lines!

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Clean your beer lines!

Post by alb »

I've been using this set-up and it's da bomb. Total cost just under $25, over half of that was the special Firestone liquid out ball lock post.

EASY PEASY BEER LINE CLEANING
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
BlackDuck

Re: Clean your beer lines!

Post by BlackDuck »

That's a great idea. Thanks for posting this.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

That's interesting, but I clean my beer lines when a keg kicks. At that point I'm also cleaning my keg so I just push some PBW and then some StarSan through the lines with minimal CO2. This seems like extra work FOR ME, but kudos to anybody it helps.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Kealia wrote:That's interesting, but I clean my beer lines when a keg kicks. At that point I'm also cleaning my keg so I just push some PBW and then some StarSan through the lines with minimal CO2. This seems like extra work FOR ME, but kudos to anybody it helps.
I use Beer Line Cleaner and pump it through the lines and tap. I used OxiClean, but once I saw the crud that BLC washed out of what I thought were clean beer line, I'll never use anything else.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Kealia wrote:That's interesting, but I clean my beer lines when a keg kicks. At that point I'm also cleaning my keg so I just push some PBW and then some StarSan through the lines with minimal CO2. This seems like extra work FOR ME, but kudos to anybody it helps.
This is what I do, also. Two jobs done in one swell foop. And the CO2 required to run liquid through is minimal. This method might be preferable for some folks, though. I won't knock it, since I can definitely see it working, rather than some crackpot idea.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:
I use Beer Line Cleaner and pump it through the lines and tap. I used OxiClean, but once I saw the crud that BLC washed out of what I thought were clean beer line, I'll never use anything else.
I do the same each and every time a keg kicks. It's worth it.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Especially with YOUR beers........haha, sorry I couldn't resist.
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:
Yep, That's why I use a separate system now, and the otherwise unexplained funk I was getting in my brew is gone.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I use the sprayer described in the video. Mine took some tinkering to fit the post to the sprayer. It works well, I use One-Step.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

FedoraDave wrote:
This is what I do, also. Two jobs done in one swell foop. And the CO2 required to run liquid through is minimal. This method might be preferable for some folks, though. I won't knock it, since I can definitely see it working, rather than some crackpot idea.
Me three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fedora:
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I also use Five Star Liquid Line Cleaner to get the scale and other crap out, but not every time a keg punts the pail. I just don't think it's necessary every single time. To me, that's sort of like clipping your fingernails every single day.

And when I use the Five Star, I run it through same way I do the OxyClean and Star San. I just let it sit in the line for 15 minutes before flushing it like crazy.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I'll confess that sometimes, when a keg kicks, I'll just swap to the next keg and start running that beer through.

I have two reasons for this: 1. I figure that there's not enough time for anything to happen to the beer lines and 2. I want to finish pouring my beer.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I know an expert in this area and she says that the #1 thing that bars, and homebrewers, should do more of is frequent line cleaning. I sent back beer last month when it clearly had off flavors from the lines not being cleaned. Bartender had no response when I told her to give me two bottles instead.

I have not taken up kegging at home for this reason. If we drink 72 ounces a week, it would take 4.4 weeks to empty a keg IF I only drank that one type of beer. With bottles, I have a dozen to pick from and like that.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

RickBeer wrote:I know an expert in this area and she says that the #1 thing that bars, and homebrewers, should do more of is frequent line cleaning.
I would say there's a difference between line "cleaning" and line "purging." Every time a keg quits, I follow the same procedure: 1. Clean the keg with OxyClean Free. 2. Run OxyClean Free through the line/tap. 3. Rinse keg with clean water. 4. Run clean water through line/tap. 5. Sanitize keg. 6. Run Star San through line/tap. I usually have another keg ready to hook up to that line, so there's no down time. I will use the Five Star Line Cleaner every fifth keg or so.
RickBeer wrote:I have not taken up kegging at home for this reason. If we drink 72 ounces a week, it would take 4.4 weeks to empty a keg IF I only drank that one type of beer. With bottles, I have a dozen to pick from and like that.
I also like variety in my pipeline. I keg every five gallon batch, but I bottle a good number of my 2.5 gallon batches. While I'm able to fit 3 kegs in my keeper, I only have two taps. Even so, I usually have about four or five different styles to choose from.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking: