Anyone try Imperial Yeast yet?

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Anyone try Imperial Yeast yet?

Post by Beer-lord »

I've heard 3 podcasts over the last month discussing Imperial Yeast and it's not available in my area. Seems at least one of the owners worked at Wyeast previously and wanted to bring more to both the home and pro brewer.
It ain't cheap but I've heard many good things about it so far other than those that shake the can and open it only to find it made it to the ceiling. :o
I may order some when it's cooler and little chance of mail spoilage but I find it odd that the podcasts suggest using a whole can and not worrying about a starter yet Homebrew Supply suggests a starter. I would do what I always do and make a huge starter saving jars in the fridge for future use and to save some $$$$.

If you've used it, let me know your thoughts. I'm a happy, mostly White Labs user though I'm always willing to try something else.

https://www.homebrewsupply.com/beer-bre ... eb86766785
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Anyone try Imperial Yeast yet?

Post by mashani »

MoreBeer sells it, I just haven't tried it yet. I can get it shipped to me pretty much next day from MoreBeer, so I know I can get it fresh and undamaged by transport woes... so next time I order I can try out some of it if you want. Any particular type of yeast you are interested in having someone try out?
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Thanks mash but don't go to the trouble on my account, I am not worthy!
I've been curious about a few but one that caught my eye was:
A24 Dry Hop
Dry Hop is a blend of A20 Citrus and A04 Barbarian. When this blend goes to work on your hoppy beer, the hop aroma blows up. The combination of these strains produces amazing aromas of citrus, peach and apricot that will accentuate your IPA, pale ale, and any other hop driven beer.
Also:
A38 Juice
Juicy. Fruity. Juice is an amazing strain for East Coast IPAs. The ester profile of Juice brings out the aromas and flavors of the new school hops and creates a beers that is greater than the sum of its parts. Keep an eye on this strain, it likes to move to the top of fermentation and will climb out the the fermenter if too full.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I've used two strains so far (picked up from MoreBeer) but haven't seen those two strains yet. I need to brew soon (not because I need the beer, but because I NEED to brew, ya know?) so I will pick up one of those to try on a tried and true recipe.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I plan to order some when it gets colder her. That might not be until January.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I don't even know what my previous reply meant....

I just rebrewed a Nelson Pale Ale using the Barbarian strain that said 73% - 74% attenuation and I got 74% on the nose.
It's already dropped bright and clear - more so than expected since it listed flocculation at "medium".
Fermented at 69 (near the top of its range) for more ester production.

This is pre-dry hop and cold crash but it's looking good so far.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I rarely brew a beer that clear even after cold crashing. Usually takes me 2-3 weeks in the keg to get that clear. Nicely done you flocculating master!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I've got a dubbel and a smoked patersbier both going right now with Imperial Triple Double (Westmalle Strain like 3787/WLP530). It is for sure the real thing, even with 30% headspace in my mini-coopers, it got out and made a fooking mess.

I have a couple of packs of their "Rustic" yeast, which is supposed to be like Wyeast Private Collection 3726 strain (it's like Dupont yeast, but less finicky). So some Saisons with that will happen soon.

I also have a pack of their "Citrus" strain which is supposed to be like WLP644. It has the characteristics of a Norwegian farmhouse strain, so I will likely make such a beer with it with some Juniper and some Rye (because they are friends). I might make it a long brew day and brew two beers, and make the recipe linked below as well. One thing though, it's not actually Brett, it is just a genetically weird Saccharomyces strain. This was discovered only recently due to better understanding of the genetics.

https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2 ... ecipe.html

EDIT: BTW, it seems to come in pouches now, no longer in cans. At least none of what I got was in a can.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Yeah, the first few I tried were in cans with a wide mouth opening but I've not seen them in a while now. Pouches here (locally at MoreBeer).
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

According to a podcast I heard late last year, the overwhelming majority of users liked their yeast but not the can's that Imperial claimed, were due mostly to a misunderstanding of the directions. More people shook than gently swirled and that caused eruptions. It did sound like they always had a plan for pouches but due to start up money and experience, the cans were the best, original route.
I never tried the cans either but I do like the 200 Billion cell counts.
I just heard recently (but can't recall if WL or Wyeast) had plans to offer and increased cell count yeast. So, Imperial seems to be causing competitors to improve, or at least step up their game.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FWIW, GigaYeast also is 200 billion cell count. MoreBeer has that too, I've got a pack of GY048 (Golden Pear) here too to play with. AKA Duvel yeast.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

More yeast > less yeast.