Pressure Cooker

Nothing goes better with a home brew then a good home made meal. Have a special food recipe you would like share or a food pairing with your favorite brew. Let the Borg know here.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Pressure Cooker

Post by bpgreen »

I've never canned and dont intend to start, but if I did, I wouldn't be able to use my pressure cooker. They're not safe to use for canning above a certain elevation.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I think I'm gonna get the Instant Pot for my wife for Christmas. It won't be used for any beer or canning related items. Just another way to make dinner I guess. There are quite a few tasty sounding recipes on the net. I did find one for red beans and rice and another for beef and broccoli. They both look awesome!!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

My wife has an Instant Pot and uses it weekly. Between stews, shredded pork, etc. there seems to always be something cooking in it.
Happy to share some recipes offline, too.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

BlackDuck wrote:Whamo....the Instant Pot is exactly what my wife is looking at. Other than stew, what do you make in yours? Any cons to owning/using yours?
Beans, rice, My favorite dish is simple dimple. a layer of cubed potatoes, a layer of country style ribs and a layer of baby carrots and then some more potatoes. Add about a cup of water and then put on the kind of seasonings you like. Set the machine to meat stew for 35 minutes under high pressure, then walk away. I have had mine for a year and used it so much I have already had to replace the gaskets, but they are cheap. Threw away my slow cooker, and my steamer. I suggest getting the 8 quart vs the 6. The only thing I don't like about it is I don't have a cabinet to store it in. The cookbook for it has some good recipes
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

You guys are selling me on this thing! We use our crock pot all the time through winter. Stews, soups, lately making pumpkin butter. Every now and then, we forget the meal plan and have to scramble to feed the kiddos, so the shorter time will really help!

We can the old way with a boil pot. My wife used my burner after yesterday's brew day. Sounds like we could kill two birds!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

MrBandGuy wrote:You guys are selling me on this thing! We use our crock pot all the time through winter. Stews, soups, lately making pumpkin butter. Every now and then, we forget the meal plan and have to scramble to feed the kiddos, so the shorter time will really help!

We can the old way with a boil pot. My wife used my burner after yesterday's brew day. Sounds like we could kill two birds!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I issed to use the crock pot all the time, but I don't know if I've used it at all since getting the pressure cooker. The one I have goes into a keep warm mode after cooking is done, so you can put something in it in the morning and let it go all day if you want. I think it may also have a slow cook setting.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

The more I read about them the more I'm getting to like the idea too MrBandGuy. When she first mentioned it to me, I thought it would be one of those kitchen gadgets that would end up on the shelf in the basement, but I'm thinking we really might use this quite a bit.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck