I deserve a homebrew because....

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: I deserve a homebrew because....

Post by berryman »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:Because I haven't had a beer since August 20th, might have me one this weekend.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk
Good deal Steve, happy you are getting better....... When you finally can have a beer again..
:clink: enjoy.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Dawg LB Steve wrote: Just one of the reasons I've lost 45 lbs.
Fantastic news! Love ya brother! Enjoy a cold one if you chose too. :clink:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:Nah I'm good, just chose not to. Just one of the reasons I've lost 45 lbs.

k
That's awesome news! Sounds like you're firmly on the road to recovery, very happy to hear you're doing much better.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Because I may have to postpone any more 5G brewing for the time being. Whenever I brew a 5G recipe (normally boil 2.5-3G of water) I've getting this brown/black residue on the stove top around the burner that the wife DOES NOT LIKE. She thought it was from my brewing since it's only around the burner that I normally use, but I don't spill/splash any wort, or try not to at least.

Well Saturday, I was smelling something besides the normally wonderful grain/extract/hop aromas and then noticed a small pool of wort around the burner on the stove top. Crap. I removed the pot from the burner, cleaned up as best I could what wasn't already burnt/stuck on the stove top, but couldn't tell where it was coming from. I finished the brewing and then while washing the kettle, filled it with water to check and still couldn't find a leak. This was a used 5G stainless steel pot with years of use already on it when I got it, so I guess it's time to buy a new one and a higher quality one since this time as this one is kinda thin and doesn't work well on my electric element stove.

So where's the best deal on one, that's not a super thin SS pot like I'm using. My wife has a thick 3G SS kettle (that I use for 1-1.5G batches) with a thick triple clad bottom that works great, but she paid a lot for it decades ago so I'm assuming a 5G version of it would be pretty expensive.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

TonyKZ1 wrote: So where's the best deal on one, that's not a super thin SS pot like I'm using. My wife has a thick 3G SS kettle (that I use for 1-1.5G batches) with a thick triple clad bottom that works great, but she paid a lot for it decades ago so I'm assuming a 5G version of it would be pretty expensive.
I've been happy with this one from MoreBeer:
https://www.morebeer.com/products/stainless-steel-brewbuilt-brewing-kettle.html

You are looking at the perfect time - Black Friday sales are right around the corner. Look at the big sites through the end of the week and you can likely score a great deal.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

TonyKZ1 wrote: So where's the best deal on one, that's not a super thin SS like I'm using. My wife has a thick 3G SS kettle (that I use for 1-1.5G batches) with a thick triple clad bottom that works great, but she paid a lot for it decades ago so I'm assuming a 5G version of it would be pretty expensive.
Tony, I started out with a thin single bottom SS pot about the size you have and it worked ok for 5g extract, but had to be careful not to scorch and had problems with boil overs. I made the plunge and bought a Megapot and it is very good. I'm not sure how much you want to spend and what your future goals are, but with a 8 gal. you could do a full volume boil on a 5 gal extract if you choose and could do some pretty good partial BIAB in it also. It is a good quality pot. Sadly to say I don't use it much anymore since I switched to a bigger electric AG system. Just some thoughts for you on this.
https://www.midwestsupplies.com/megapot ... ttle-8-gal
And this one I think is good also and a little less money and I think somebody on here has one but can't remember who. https://www.midwestsupplies.com/tall-bo ... e-8-gallon
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Thanks for the info guys, that gave me something more to think about. While I was on those sites, I added the pots to my wishlists, so I'll keep them in mind. Also on MoreBeer's site, I seen this 5.5 Gallon Anvil Brewing Kettlepot. The biggest batches I'm doing now are 5G Extract w/steeping grains recipes, usually boiling 2-3G of wort, don't really see myself going any bigger especially since I'm just doing it on the kitchen stove. Just trying to keep it somewhat affordable and my options open.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

I was moving bottles around this morning trying to empty a couple of the 1 liter Mr. Beer & BrewDemon boxes. And found these two bottles, each in a different box, one was cracked on the bottom and the other had completely blown out the bottom.

Luckily the boxes contained the explosion and leaks, but the boxes are unusable now. I had smelled beer in the room earlier but figured it was because I'm also fermenting in there too. The priming sugar was correct so I'm guessing it was due to old or weak bottles. The other 1 liter bottles are fine so today I'm bottling in 12 oz. glass bottles.

In a way it was kinda sad/funny, the Mr. Beer bottle that broke was in a Mr. Beer box and the BrewDemon bottle that exploded was in a BrewDemon box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by TonyKZ1 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

Because I have been up worried about my house burning down. Stressed OUT
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I am guessing with your comment you are too close for comfort to the fires in Southern California? Thoughts and prayers your way. Stay safe and I sincerlely hope you come out of this unscathed!!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I just completed a Zwift FTP test and I am now toast. I have watts to regenerate.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Cyclocross. (I was actually handed a beer because I finished anyways... but I still want a homebrew.)
IMG_0376 (002).jpg
IMG_0376 (002).jpg (77.36 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Find a lawyer! :lol:
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

mashani wrote:Cyclocross. (I was actually handed a beer because I finished anyways... but I still want a homebrew.)
One day when leaving a store I had a kid approach me in the parking lot and ask about a bandage because he was skateboarding and "ate shit".
He had a few scrapes. I pulled a few things out of my day pack for him. I did not offer him a beer.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Ouch Dave. Ain't racing fun! :clink:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%