Lotahopalaus Rex

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Lotahopalaus Rex

Post by Kealia »

Damn, Duck - that's a purdy picture. That's interesting that both you and Paul mention your DIPAs not having as much aroma as your other beers.

In any case, glad to hear it's working out. An easy drinking beer that high in ABV is a wonderful thing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I wonder if the aroma isn't as pronounced is because the FG on my DIPA usually come in a little higher than a pale ale or even an IPA. For me, the higher FG balances a high OG and makes these bigger bears balanced. The high FG and the sweeter finish may mask the hop aroma a bit, even though it's a balanced beer.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Hmm, I'm going to challenge your thinking on that one. How does the higher FG impact the aroma?
I could see it offsetting the balance in the taste via the G:BU ratio, but not the aroma.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I'm just thinking that with the higher FG, say 1.016, the final beer is a little sweeter in malt character than a 1.010 finished beer. The sweeter malt character in the higher FG will provide some malt aroma, more so than a beer that finished 1.010. Therefore, that sweeter malt character/aroma is masking or not letting the full power of the hop aroma to come forward. Not that your getting a malt aroma, it's that it's hiding the hops somewhat.

Again, just my thoughts. I may be all wet behind the ears on this one.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck