Bottling for carbonation

Recipes based on BrewDemon Extracts and refills.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Tapakegaday

Bottling for carbonation

Post by Tapakegaday »

Just bottled my first batch, put the sugar in each bottle like the directions said to do. Do I need to flip bottles every now and then to make sure the sugar stays dissolved?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Bottling for carbonation

Post by mashani »

It will dissolve on its own and the yeast will find it and eat it.

Just walk away and come back to it in 4 weeks.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Mashani is wise....heed his advice.

I think we all felt like we needed to do that when we started, but you don't. Like he said, just leave them to do their thing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

Like they said, just walk away and leave it be for 4 weeks. We know it's hard. :)
Scoper50

Post by Scoper50 »

I would still consider myself an amateur but I do have a little over a dozen batches under my belt. I have found that adding the sugar to each bottle gets mixed results. It's way easier to add the full amount of sugar for the batch to the bottling bucket so it gets evenly distributed to the entire batch. This makes sure each bottle is evenly carbonated and each beer in the batch will be the same. A good rule of thumb is 1oz of sugar per gallon of beer but there are calculators out there depending on what you are using for priming sugar. I would stay away from fizz drops as well. I've used them a couple times and for whatever reason the beer came out under carbonated both times. I've had good results with table sugar added directly to the bottling bucket and lightly stirred with a sanitized spoon.
Scoper50

Post by Scoper50 »

I almost forgot! If you choose to batch prime in the future you can't just add the straight sugar to the bottling bucket. You have to dissolve and boil it in water for about 5 minutes, THAN add it to the bottling bucket before you add the beer. Sorry, I don't want to be responsible for mistakes!
Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Hayzer »

Four weeks! Yikes. I thought the recipe said seven days. If I need to wait four weeks I'll do just that.
Bent Knee Brewery - Brewed near the Poosey
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Hayzer wrote:Four weeks! Yikes. I thought the recipe said seven days. If I need to wait four weeks I'll do just that.
You can drink one 7 days in. But if you try one at 7 days and then another one at 3-4 weeks you will know why we say wait 3-4 weeks.

You can get it down to 2 weeks, but it requires pitching a lot of yeast (a lot more then comes with Brew Demon/Mr. Beer kits) and good brewing practices from start to finish, so your beer actually tastes good right out of the fermenter and then conditioning at proper temperatures.

But in general it's best to be patient especially at first.
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

Post by Wings_Fan_In_KC »

We're trying to avoid/reduce the acetaldehyde present in homebrew that's not conditioned long enough and gives off a flavor of green apples. It is a compound present during the formation of alcohol and, generally, indicates that your beer is too young and needs more time to condition out. If the beer is less than 4 weeks in the bottle and just doesn't taste right to you, 99% of the time the beer is indeed "green." If you let it ride and try one in another week (or month depending on how strong the off flavors are) you will usually find that your beer now is amazing. That's why most home-brewers will say "never dump a beer" (unless it is truly infected) because most off flavors in the first few weeks are not just byproducts created during fermentation. Given enough time they will mellow or disappear, plus CO2 in solution for a while seems to have the effect of mellowing out the flavors.

I had an Oktoberfest that had severe metallic flavors (due to a screw up I made while dry hopping) and instead of pouring it out I found that mixing it 60% / 40% with a Berry Weiss allowed me to drink it I also recall my very first batch of home brew made with MrBeer and following their "you can have a beer in 2 weeks" BS....it was awful. But then I read about acetaldehyde and tucked the bottles away for 3 more weeks and alladasudden it was drinkable!! One final note that I'll share due to personal experience is the part about putting the bottles in the fridge when you are going to drink them. I routinely put them in the night before and then consume them the next evening but I have found that my beers are BEST if I put them in the fridge for at least a week. That may be just me but I bet others in here have the same experience.

Time is your friend as a home brewer like I said on your intro post. The 4 weeks in the bottle was born from forum members' experimentation where a bottle was tried after a week of room temp conditioning, then 2 weeks, then 3 weeks, then a month, etc. At 4 weeks/+4 weeks most beers are pretty damn good and at 1-2 weeks most beers were found to be "green" or "too young." Wheats and IPAs can be gotten into earlier than Stouts and Porters but it's all what you like for your beer in the end. You won't know that until you do some of your own experimenting.
I'm A Friggin' Hop Grenade !!
Crazy Dog Brewing
22.50 Gallons Brewed in 2014

Jan 6th: HCCD Mod II
Jan 27th: Diablo IPA Mod
Feb 18th: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod II
Mar 13th: Witty Monk Witbier Mod II
Moved in June disupting my brewing and pipeline
July 19th: OVL Mod II
Late Aug: Bewitched Amber Ale Mod
Oct: High Country Canadian Mod III
Nov: St Pat's Irish Stout/Vanilla Porter Mod
Dec: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod III
Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Hayzer »

Very good info that I will adhere too. Thanks so much for the help.
Bent Knee Brewery - Brewed near the Poosey