PET bottles

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BlackDuck

Re: PET bottles

Post by BlackDuck »

If the over carb is the only issue, I agree, I would also bleed some pressure off. Hey, at this point, what do you have to lose right? I'd do it.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

If the beer was good, that's one giant step for brew-kind.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

Could be a result of over carbonation from
- too much 'sugar' in the bottling bucket
- bottling before fermentation reached terminal gravity
- rogue yeast contamination
- RDWHAHB

PET bottles are rated to 10 CO2 volumes ... so unlike them there girly brown bottles ... no worries about bottle bombs.
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Hayzer wrote:I put one in the fridge for 48 hours. That bottle was the last one off the fermenter. It was about 5/8 full, so not bulging. It was HIGHLY over-carbonated. After spooning off head, I passed it around for several to sample. Everyone wanted more. Something’s right, but wrong. I think I’ll release pressure, allow to carb two more weeks, then a couple weeks in the refrigerator.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably it just wasn't quite done fermenting and since you used the already "overcarbed" (IMHO) amount of recommended sugar, that's why that happened. That's why we say wait 3 weeks if you don't have a hydrometer.

But, since you say they taste good now, you might want to throw them all in the fridge once the bottles firm up again after you vent a bit. Just in case you have a low grade infection of some type of wild yeast. That will shut down whatever it is and prevent potential off flavors from happening.

But on the other hand, there is no way to know if that's what it was (beyond scientific equipment you don't have) except waiting and seeing if it starts to taste weird after being left at room temp.

So, if you decide to fridge them like I mentioned but feel brave, keep one bottle somewhere warm for a few months and then try it and see if it tastes weird compared to the rest. That way you would know if sanitation is an issue.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Hayzer wrote:I put one in the fridge for 48 hours. That bottle was the last one off the fermenter. It was about 5/8 full, so not bulging. It was HIGHLY over-carbonated. After spooning off head, I passed it around for several to sample. Everyone wanted more. Something’s right, but wrong. I think I’ll release pressure, allow to carb two more weeks, then a couple weeks in the refrigerator.

Highly overcarbonated because you use the same amount of sugar for a 5/8th full bottle... 5/8ths full should have been 1.5, not 2.5. So, you used 67% too much sugar.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

HerbMeowing wrote:Could be a result of over carbonation from
- too much 'sugar' in the bottling bucket
- bottling before fermentation reached terminal gravity
- rogue yeast contamination
- RDWHAHB

PET bottles are rated to 10 CO2 volumes ... so unlike them there girly brown bottles ... no worries about bottle bombs.
Wasn't batch priming...
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Hayzer »

2.5 tsp sugar in each bottle and just realized this last bottle pulled from the fermenter would have had WAY too much sugar.

Three weeks in the fermenter. Two weeks so far warm conditioning.

I'm not a Pilsner fan, nor am I anywhere close to a tasting judge of an sorts. I like what I like and Pilsners are not in that range. LOL Because the other "tasters" liked this batch (so far) then I will condition longer and make sure it has plenty of time in the refrigerator.

I appreciate all the help and insight on this first batch of mine. It's an extract BD and I'm still enjoying the learning process. I have since brewed a Twisted Monk Wheat, then bottled, and currently have a Hellfire Red in the fermenter. I'll be going back to another wheat once the fermenter is free.
Bent Knee Brewery - Brewed near the Poosey
Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Hayzer »

Now, because one of these bombed out, even after two different burpings, I put them in the refrigerator. How long is too long in the fridge? If I pull them out in a month will they be ok, or do you suggest just drinking them in a week.

Bent Knee Brewery - Brewed near the Poosey
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I think they will be okay in the fridge long term.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.