Cryo hops & Beersmith

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Cryo hops & Beersmith

Post by Beer-lord »

I'm planning on trying some of the Mosaic Cryo hops I've been having as a dry hop in a NEIPA I'm brewing and it got me wondering. Although I'm only dry hopping with them, I wonder how you would enter them in Beersmith. I think I've read that most are about double the amount of pellet hops so I guess that would work. I've updated Beersmith but nothing is there about cryo hops.

I also realized I've had these since September of 2017. :oops: I forgot I had them and they were buried but were sent sealed very well so I assume they are still pretty potent. Last time I asked, no one had mentioned they've used any so if anyone has used them since my first post about them, please report your thoughts on them. Otherwise, I'm going to use about 2 oz of the 4 oz I have in the 2nd dry hop of the NEIPA and report back later what I think about it. Not sure I will be able to tell because with all the other hops in this beer, how do you really know?
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Cryo hops & Beersmith

Post by mashani »

In the beer I've got on tap right now (3ish gallon session ipa), I used 2oz of Nelson Sauvin, and 1oz of Equanot Cryo Hops, both as @flameout additions.

The Nelson Sauvin are getting totally hammered by the cryo hops.

They are potent.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

But as a dry hop, I don't think I'd see that same problem. Aroma overload would be nice.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

Yes, Beer-lord, the general rule of thumb with cryo hops is 2X the alpha acid by weight. What I did in BeerSmith is create a new ingredient entry for the particular cryo hop that I bought, copied over all of the original information, gave it a different name, and then just doubled the acid percentages from the original pellet version. Granted, this didn't matter much because, like you, I was just using the cryo version for dry-hopping. But if you were to use them in a boil or whirpool, the approach to take would be to create a new ingredient and double the %'s.
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Thanks, I did exactly this last week. My plan is to not waste this in boiling but use them in flame, whirlpool and/or dry hop only.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black