2018 hop rhizome exchange

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: 2018 hop rhizome exchange

Post by bpgreen »

Bumping this because I'll probably start seeing sprouts soon.

@Hayzer, did you figure out what variety or varieties you want?
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

Cascade
Columbus

Misc rhizomes = 1.00
Large rhizome = 5.00
Potted plants = 10.00 ea

Raleigh ... NC
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/for/6548194865.html
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Hayzer »

berryman wrote:
Hayzer wrote:I would sure like to grown hops, but have nothing in return to trade, but maybe a few shillings. I don’t even know what varieties I want, or what each variety is good for. I have a goal to brew all-grain beers once I master the extracts. I’m eventually wanting to hover around wheat beers and toy with flavors in that style. I live in northern MO on hilly ground. Can you tell me which varieties of hops I should look at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here is a chart and many others on the web https://ychhops.com/varieties
I can't tell you what would grow good in your area because IDK. Nugget goes crazy here and Chinook is close behind, Cascades are doing really good now too, but the MT Hood not very good and might take them out and replace. If I send out some rhizomes, I want nothing in return unless I can try something that grows better around here then Mt Hood.
After reading about the varieties I am needing and what might grow best in my area, I think I'd like to try some Nugget if you ever get the chance to dig some this spring. I am wanting to try 2-3 more varieties as well to find what actually grows best on our farm (lots of limestone, poor soil and big deer).
Bent Knee Brewery - Brewed near the Poosey
Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Hayzer »

berryman wrote:
Hayzer wrote:I would sure like to grown hops, but have nothing in return to trade, but maybe a few shillings. I don’t even know what varieties I want, or what each variety is good for. I have a goal to brew all-grain beers once I master the extracts. I’m eventually wanting to hover around wheat beers and toy with flavors in that style. I live in northern MO on hilly ground. Can you tell me which varieties of hops I should look at?

Here is a chart and many others on the web https://ychhops.com/varieties
I can't tell you what would grow good in your area because IDK. Nugget goes crazy here and Chinook is close behind, Cascades are doing really good now too, but the MT Hood not very good and might take them out and replace. If I send out some rhizomes, I want nothing in return unless I can try something that grows better around here then Mt Hood.
After reading about the varieties I am needing and what might grow best in my area, I think I'd like to try some Nugget if you ever get the chance to dig some this spring. I am wanting to try 2-3 more varieties as well to find what actually grows best on our farm (lots of limestone, poor soil and big deer).
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

My hops are starting to poke through the soil, but not enough yet to figure out which (if any) will have rhizomes. If I get any nugget rhizomes, I'll let you know (unless berryman has some first).
Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Hayzer »

bpgreen wrote:My hops are starting to poke through the soil, but not enough yet to figure out which (if any) will have rhizomes. If I get any nugget rhizomes, I'll let you know (unless berryman has some first).
BPmthat would be great. In north Misery I’ve always geared toward growing zone of 4-5 if that makes a difference on any variety you’d like to send on top of the Nugget (that I think might grow here).

Please let me know what you have when they start peeking through. I sure do appreciate any help.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Hayzer wrote:
bpgreen wrote:My hops are starting to poke through the soil, but not enough yet to figure out which (if any) will have rhizomes. If I get any nugget rhizomes, I'll let you know (unless berryman has some first).
BPmthat would be great. In north Misery I’ve always geared toward growing zone of 4-5 if that makes a difference on any variety you’d like to send on top of the Nugget (that I think might grow here).

Please let me know what you have when they start peeking through. I sure do appreciate any help.
Cascades seem to be about the hardiest and more adaptable to different conditions than a lot of others, and mine also almost always produce a few rhizomes, so those would probably be a good option. I should have a good handle on what I've got in a few weeks.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

As I said I should be able to dig quite a few of mine this year as they are well established, but it will be awhile around here. Just a few days ago the snow melted over the hop bed, but guess what it is doing out now? Here is my front yard as of a few mins ago.
Image at least I don’t have to mow the lawn for a while

Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I swear one of these days I am going to set up a spot to grow hops.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Kealia wrote:I swear one of these days I am going to set up a spot to grow hops.
There's a house in my neighborhood for sale. :D
Comes with all you can stand Naked Cat visits........till you get your own. ;)
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Kealia wrote:I swear one of these days I am going to set up a spot to grow hops.
I kept saying that for a long time when I seen others growing them and just kept putting it off, but now I have been and like it. Limited use on whole hops but nice to be able to use your own on some stuff.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

berryman wrote:
I kept saying that for a long time when I seen others growing them and just kept putting it off, but now I have been and like it. Limited use on whole hops but nice to be able to use your own on some stuff.
I usually try to make at least one brew a year using only home grown hops. Since AA% of homegrown hops is an unknown (unless you send to a lab for analysis, but that uses hops and money that I'd prefer to keep), it's kind of a crap shoot. But if you have a lot, you can dial it in. I usually just use the default values from BeerSmith and it seems to work out ok. But I mostly use my hops for the later additions.

My brother has a lot of homegrown hops and uses the "toss it in and see how it tastes" approach. He said that if a batch turns out too bitter, he uses less the next time and if it's too sweet, he uses more. He also doesn't really know what hops he has, since he's moved several times and forgot which hops were which. He's been brewing since the mid 80s and only recently used any brewing software.

I've still got some bulk pellet hops, but once those are gone, I expect most of my brews will use only homegrown hops.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Hayzer wrote:

Looks like I've got a nugget rhizome. Cascades don't look promising.

PM me your snail mail address and I'll send a nugget rhizome.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I went out today to dig up the nugget, but apparently, it wasn't as far away from the crown as I though, so there wasn't a usable rhizome.

I had a few Centennial rhizomes that I sent to my brother, but that's all I got this year. I have no idea why I didn't get more than I did. Most years, I get a few from each plant.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I still think I could do this deal on sending somebody some hop rhizomes, but still not looking to good here. A few hours ago what it looks like here. ImageImage

Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison