What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by TonyKZ1 »

I bottled that Flat Tire Ale today, smells good so we'll see what it tastes like in 3 weeks. I was able to use my "new to me" Super Agata table top bottle capper, it seemed to make capping the bottles quicker and less mess, ie. no broken bottles. I also brewed an Autumn Amber Ale, a 5G Extract w/steeping grains recipe from Midwest Supplies. It seemed to be a good recipe, ie. nothing spectacular but ought to be a nice easy drinking amber ale.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Brewed 11 gallons of Drop Kick Nate today. Half with Imperial Juice yeast and half with Brulosophy blend yeast. Since I can't really BIAB 21 lbs in my 15 gallon kettle, I had to do some sparging and used another kettle to 'dump' and sparge. Somehow, and I don't know how, I was 6 points higher.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Beer-lord wrote:Somehow, and I don't know how, I was 6 points higher.
Gravity Fairy???? I still need to brew the DKN.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Well, since I couldn't fit all the water and grain in my kettle, I had to sparge in another, smaller kettle and though my water was accurate, I did mash for about 15 minutes longer. Not sure if that would make a difference or just a good crush. Either way, that's still somewhat close for me.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I'm making a 3 gallon special bitter in the mash & boil.

Pretty simple recipe, but one I would have a hard time reproducing with extract due to the mild malt.

5# Briess Ashburne Mild Malt (5.3L)
8oz Briess 120L crystal
1oz Acidulated Malt for PH adjustment (I hopefully won't notice it in this small qty, but I need to find out)
1oz Willamette FWH (4.8% AA)
1/4oz Willamette @20
1/4oz Willamette @flameout

S-04. I would rather have used an ESB yeast, but none of them like my current basement temps. This will still taste good.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

With any luck, today I am kegging my Red-X wheat Simcoe experiment.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I bottled the brown porter I made in the Mash & Boil.

I forgot just how unique British Brown malt is. It tastes like nothing else, it's a bit roasty / toasty but also nutty. This beer will be good.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Brewed for a 2nd time this year, using up the two cans of Mr. Beer Bavarian Wiessbier that I got from Target over a year ago for $6 a can, with some Cardamom and apricots it's a nice Apricot Wheat beer. That, and a Long Play IPA that I bought for $5 a few weeks back are all that I've brewed this year, as we've been working through a huge inventory. Down to just under 8 cases of beer left.

Next up is Ring Your Bell Brown, a clone of Bell's Best Brown, and a Fruit Wheat Base, to which we add flavors in the glass. Both will be 2.5 gallon batches, my first all grain, and BIAB. We'll see how that goes.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I'm screwing around with the Mash & Boil, making a 3 gallon batch of what would be Dusseldorf Alt Bier except I subbed 20% rye in in the grain bill, so now it's just an out of style "Rye Bier". I'm actually doing a step mash too. Because I can. May as well see how it works with this thing.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I bottled the Kolsch that I made in the Mash & Boil that used 9oz of Acidulated malt in and I was very afraid to taste. But it seems to be nice and Kolsch like and not super "lemony" like I was afraid of. Hurray!
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Huzzah!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I brewed an AG beer in the Mash & Boil, which is basically an "Old Speckled Hen" like clone (Maris Otter, Crystal, and sugar and that's it), except that I used some of the SA hops I still have laying around (Southern Dawn) in it instead of the normal hops.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I bottled the "Rye Bier" that I made in the M&B, which was basically a Dusseldorf Alt Bier with Flaked Rye subbed for some of the base malt. It was a bit spicy, with a bit of that "doughy rye tart vibe" (I don't know how to describe better), and some acetaldehyde that will condition out in the bottles. Should be a good hot day post cycling beverage. I rarely get acetaldehyde when I taste out of the fermenter with my pitch rates these days, but I didn't let it stay in the fermenter for as long as I usually do because I want to brew again this weekend. M&B has me somewhat addicted to AG brewing again.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Brewed I think my 9th batch in the Mash & Boil (brewing so many I'm losing count LOL), a completely late hopped Session IPA/Hoppy APA that ended up 1.051, where I used Maris Otter, C15, and a little bit of Munich to make it seem more malty, and Carapils to give it some more body, 2oz of Cryo Simcoe (24% AA), and 1oz of Citra (13% AA) @1 minute with the distillation lid and foam plug on so not much goodness vaporized into my air, and it's just no-chilling overnight, so I'll get probably a solid 15-20 minutes of actual AAU extraction from those hops before it cools down. In other words, plenty (if it was all really extracted ~100 but we know that doesn't happen for real). Still... plenty.

First time I'm trying that in the M&B, so we will see.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

When did you add the Cryo? I have some Mosaic cryo and everything I read says no sooner than flameout but it's better in a whirlpool or dry hop. Looking forward to trying it a few batches from now.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black