What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by mashani »

I ran out of grain but had a 3# bag of leftover Vienna DME, so I just rolled up a weird extra hoppy 3 gallon "Belgian single" like thing with it, and the one 1oz bag of South African hops I had left. Since they are 14% AA, I just did it as a short 20 minute boil with half the hops in @20, and half in @10. Threw in dry Abbaye yeast.

Between the apple/pear/slight banana and hints of spice of the yeast, these hops say they give "gooseberry, sweet fruit, cassis, clove, lemongrass, chilies".

So it should be "interesting" if nothing else. Might taste more like a weird Saison, or a German beer that embraced part of the funk, but that's OK.

More grain on the way, so soon it will be back to the Mash & Boil program.
Yalc

Post by Yalc »

Beer-lord wrote:
Yalc wrote:Will be kegging a Mosaic/Amarillo/Simcoe 5% Pale Ale this weekend. Loads of late and dry hops. Love this combination.
This sounds delicious! Let us know how it comes out. That hop combo is a favorite of mine.
Just had my first pour. Fantastic! Probably my best sub 5% brew. More of the Mosaic Amarillo coming out and the Simcoe seems to have been left behind but still really good. I might knock down the carbonation a bit but otherwise would only up the Simcoe at dry hop next time.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Sounds great! I haven't made an APA without rye for a while. Soon.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Kegged my Kylo-Red (Levitation) today while working from home. Leaving for vacation on Sunday so this will be waiting for me when I get back.
So will an empty spot in my kegerator so I'll be planning a brew day when I get home, too.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I bottled the cryo-simcoe + citra session IPA.

I mixed up 4 batches of malt based on stuff I had on hand and some base malt I picked up to make some Belgian singles and/or table Saisons with, I'm going to use this same base but change up the candi syrups, amount of hops, and the yeast for various batches, and add a bit of extra acidulated malt for pale beers. I might add some more base malt and/or some Special B and/or some extra flaked grains and sugar to a batch or two and make a Triple or Dubbel.

Each batch is (for 3 gallons):

2.5# Belgian Pilsner
1.5# Belgian Pale
4oz Acid Malt
4oz Simpsons Golden Naked Oats
2oz Munich Malt
2oz Abbey Malt (aromatic)
2oz Flaked Wheat
2oz Carapils

With ~8oz of candi syrup that grain bill puts me in the 1.05s based on my current efficiency.

For the first beer I used that as above with 2oz more Acid malt, used 1/2 oz Styrians @60, and 1/2oz @20, adding 10oz of Blood Orange candi syrup @flameout, and am using Abbaye yeast. I mashed 20 minutes @122, 40 minutes @147, 20 minute @154, 10 minute mashout @173.

My hydrometer committed suicide, so I don't have a clue what the OG was. But I know I made beer.

Regardless of what it is, it should make a very nice Single.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Never heard of Abbey malt but keep some Aromatic around and rarely use it. I looked it up and it appears to be in the honey malt category. I don't think that's the same as the Aromatic I have which is somewhat mildly sweet but bready. Enlighten me Belgian master!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Abbey malt is bready and malty too. It is like a mixture of Aromatic Malt, Biscuit Malt, and Honey malt, all rolled into one. What you get depends on how much you use. You can use a very small amount of any sort of Melanoidin malt to kick up the malt nose of a beer. The honey and other more intense flavors/aromas show up more when you use it as a larger % of the grain bill.

If I make a dubbel with this stuff, I might throw a bit more Abbey malt into it to bring out some of those flavors, but this little addition will just give it a bit more malty/bready/biscuit vibe.

What Briess calls Aromatic malt, European maltsters would just call 20L Munich malt.

It's all a "name confusion thing", where people name things in ways they should not, that's why I didn't just put "aromatic malt" as what my addition was, or someone might try to use Briess.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I'm still learning stuff! Thanks mashani!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

I haven't brewed much lately due to the heat and problems with home AC along with other commitments. Anyhow, got the AC replaced last week, so I had a 5G Extra Special Bitter recipe that needed brewed. This was an older recipe with expired yeast so I added a packet of S-04 yeast to it.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Bottled the session IPA I made with nothing but a bunch of cryo Simcoe commando @flameout and Lallemand London ESB yeast.

Because of how that yeast doesn't floc out, it looked like an NE IPA. Tasted more like one then I expected too, somehow the Simcoe turned out more fruity/orange citrusy and less piney then normal, maybe a cryo Simcoe thing, I dunno.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I currently have 10 gallons of Kolsch cold lagering and carbonating in kegs and 10 gallons of Belgian Wit fermenting away. Both of which I made yeast starters for from While Labs pure pitch packets.
These two are my Summertime 2018 goto styles for sharing with family and friends.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Took the second batch of the "Belgian Base Mix" I had, added 1# more oats, mashed that in the M&B, FWH bittered it with about 12AAUs worth of Hersbrucker, threw in 1/2oz Coriander and 1/2oz Grains of Paradise, added the remaining 6oz of my Blood Orange candi syrup @flameout.

Will pitch Mangrove Jack M21 tomorrow.

So it will be a WIT beer like substance.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

mashani wrote:I ran out of grain but had a 3# bag of leftover Vienna DME, so I just rolled up a weird extra hoppy 3 gallon "Belgian single" like thing with it, and the one 1oz bag of South African hops I had left. Since they are 14% AA, I just did it as a short 20 minute boil with half the hops in @20, and half in @10. Threw in dry Abbaye yeast.

Between the apple/pear/slight banana and hints of spice of the yeast, these hops say they give "gooseberry, sweet fruit, cassis, clove, lemongrass, chilies".
I bottled this. It has a massive Brett C infection. Big hairy eyeball pellicle, which left lingering hairy eyeballs all down the sides of my fermenter when I drained it.

It tastes like a pineapple stuffed with some kind of spiced fruit salad, but mostly really intense pineapple. As is my normal procedure with such a beer here, I just bottled it now with very little priming sugar, and it will just do it's thing in the bottle and we will see what happens. Haven't had any of them turn out "bad" yet as long as you like pineapple and some slightly funky hay like flavor.

So far this year none of the AG Mash & Boil slow chilled beers have gotten my house Brett. The only one that has was this "normally chilled" as such beer.

So that is interesting.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

“Big hairy eyeball pellicle”——-there’s just no way you can make that sound good. And if it was on the label, I wonder how it would sell. Of course if that was the name of the beer, it would probably sell well.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Agreed. You should send a sample of that to Bootleg Biology. "Mashani's Wild Hairy Eyeball"
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.