Belgian Witbier 1st Time Stepped Mash

Have a question about how to do a BIAB or have a technique that you want to share. Just brew it!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Belgian Witbier 1st Time Stepped Mash

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

This morning I'm brewing another Belgian Witbier for Summertime enjoyment. I came across an article in BYO magazine that called for a simple stepped mash. It seems easy enough mash at 122F for 15 minutes then raise to 154F over 15 minutes and mash for another 60 minutes. Being the first time trying a stepped mash I'm already curious if it'll make a difference. I've brewed this same recipe several times before so if there is I should be able to tell.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Beer-lord

Re: Belgian Witbier 1st Time Stepped Mash

Post by Beer-lord »

From the little I've read, you'll notice the difference in fermentation more than taste but I'm not sure I understand how that can be so I am curious.
I've never done this as it's harder for me with propane than with an electric system so I wonder if I should buy a completely new electric BIAB system to test it out. :oops:
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I hadn't done a step for a long time, it was too much a PITA in my little stove top setup, but I've done 2 of them in the Mash & Boil since I got it.

Both of them had that 122 rest (at that temperature it is a combined glucan/protein rest).

The one that is in the bottle is nice.

Where you notice the glucan rest part is when draining/sparging/efficiency, IE less chance of your mash becoming a blob of goo when using lots of gummy stuff.

If you want to do just a glucan rest, then something more like 112 is a good temp, as it leaves the protein rest part out. It depends on if you want to retain as much head retention as possible, IE maybe a rye beer with 20% flaked rye, then maybe just do that unless you are trying to eradicate all haze.

As far as "helping out with fermentation", besides the potential mash/sparge efficiency gains, one thing people don't always get is that amylase actually does work at a lot lower temperatures then the typical 147 or 154 or what not. Although not "optimal" , as in it's working slower, amylase is still actually chewing up stuff during the protein rest and especially during the raise to 147 or 154 or whatever it is your raising it to. IE in a 15 minute raise from protein rest to sacc temps, there is plenty of overlap where the beta-amylase is working very efficiently (anything over 130) . So you will pretty much always get a more fermentable wort when doing a step mash.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Here is a picture I took of the kettle trub after filling the fermentors. I didn't add WhirlFloc or other finings to the boil but the cold break was very noticeable. I may be doing more and more stepped mashes in the coming months. It's something I haven't really focused on in years.
belgianwit-sml.jpg
belgianwit-sml.jpg (99.69 KiB) Viewed 3211 times
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Looks like brain matter. :)
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Like some people's brains...floating in beer! :)
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.