What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by mashani »

I brewed what was supposed to be a "session dubbel" or "dark single" (IE like what I've called "Darth Patersbier" in the past) in the Mash & Boil using more of that Belgian mix I made, and adding some Belgian Biscuit malt and D-180L.

I did a full Belgian style step mash with a protein rest, and 3 levels of Sacc rests, because why not, and somehow ended up with 89% mash efficiency.

So it actually is a "real dubbel" now.

#StuffThatDoesntHappenWhenYouUseExtract.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Kegged my Noises of Approval with only Denali hops. Not sure what to think. It tastes fine but I really got no aroma. When it carbs I'll know for sure but it's got a slight bitter taste on the end that matches the malt pretty well. Just above 6%. Never used Denali before and only had 1 beer with some but couldn't really tell. So far, it seems like it might be best with other hops instead of by itself. I was expecting pineapple and citrus and maybe that will happen but with 4 oz in the boil/whirlpool and 2 dry hop, I would think I will see something that stands out.
Gonna brew a rye pale this Sunday in 95 degree temps. Summer isn't really here yet for us but I ain't stopping!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Brewed Moral Panic Rye today. Hit all the numbers and it was very hot out. Started at 8 before the worst of the heat and summer is only starting and I can't stop brewing just because it's hot.
Already working on the next recipe, a true West Coast IPA....no haze and pine up the wazoo (I hope).
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I bottled my "Wit Like Substance". It got my house Brett C too, so my house is now in "full summer inoculation mode" it seems.

So, as normal when that happens, it was bottled with very little priming sugar, as it's going to carb up just fine in the bottle all on it's own due to the Brett continuing to eat stuff for a while.

Other then the gnarly pellicle, it looks and tastes like a Wit beer. Except with pineapple on top. Lots of pineapple. From the Brett.

So it's now "gnarly pineapple wit beer like substance".
IMG_0163 (002).jpg
IMG_0163 (002).jpg (65.23 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
Yum.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Looks like something from the Hubble telescope!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Beer-lord wrote:Looks like something from the Hubble telescope!
It's not even as nuts at the "big hairy eyeball" one was LOL. It's a good thing I like my Brett.

Still, I'm trying to figure out how I can avoid the summer brett in my house with the M&B if I really want to be sure a batch doesn't get it. The only way I was able to really totally avoid it for sure (mostly) in the summer was to brew concentrated stove top extract batches, and dump them after a lid-on hop stand or immediately into ice water in the fermenter to "insta chill" and immediately pitch. Basically only 15 seconds of wort exposure that was cool and uncovered.

Wort chiller is useless, the wort is < 130 but above pitching temps for a minute or two and that's all it takes for "old bubble eye" to appear if a lid isn't covering the vessel.

I guess I could slow chill in the M&B, and instead of taking a couple of minutes to pour out the spigot, I could just take the lid off and turn it upside down dumping it all right into the fermenter, but I'd get a hella lot of kettle trub in the fermenter doing that.

I could try to pour 180 degree wort into my fermenters (via the spigot) and then try to slow-chill or chill them in an ice bath with the lids on, that would lessen open exposure at happy brett temps. My fermenters are polypropylene, which in theory is safe at those temps, I've read some aussie blogs where some folks use them like that.

Probably a narrow necked carboy would help, but I'm not going there ever again.

?
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

mashani wrote:...that's all it takes for "old bubble eye" to appear....
:muahaha:

mashani wrote:I guess I could slow chill in the M&B, and instead of taking a couple of minutes to pour out the spigot, I could just take the lid off and turn it upside down dumping it all right into the fermenter, but I'd get a hella lot of kettle trub in the fermenter doing that.
I've read plenty that trub in the fermenter is actually a good thing. Some head to head tests have shown that it actually helped attenuation and even mouthfeel IIRC. Not that either of those is your goal mind you. The point is that it won't hurt and in some cases even led to better clarity in the final beer.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

mashani wrote:I brewed what was supposed to be a "session dubbel" or "dark single" (IE like what I've called "Darth Patersbier" in the past) in the Mash & Boil using more of that Belgian mix I made, and adding some Belgian Biscuit malt and D-180L.

I did a full Belgian style step mash with a protein rest, and 3 levels of Sacc rests, because why not, and somehow ended up with 89% mash efficiency.

So it actually is a "real dubbel" now.

#StuffThatDoesntHappenWhenYouUseExtract.
I bottled this, and it tasted like lightly spiced fig jam with some thin slices of banana on biscuits. Which is just about perfect.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

This weekend I'm brewing the 7th iteration of my Nelson Pale Ale. This time the differences are using Imperial Barbarian yeast strain as well as adjusting my mash pH to be a bit lower than normal (~5.3 this time around).

The majority of the recipe doesn't change much, just little tweaks here and there.

I should also be kegging my Berliner Weiss.
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

I plan to brew the first of the 3 Midwest cheap kits I picked up. Doing the Just Swished one, adding some color and rye to kick it up. Also using the Dry hop Imperial yeast for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I’m kegging my Moral Panic Rye this weekend after only 13 days. Hey, when it’s done, it’s done.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I'm brewing what amounts to something like a Westmalle dubble clone in the Mash & Boil.

I'm trying out Imperial Yeast Triple Double yeast, which is supposed to be Westmalle strain like 3787/WLP530. I'll know once it starts to ferment and takes the lids off of my fermenters or not.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Successful and relaxing brew day today.
My Nelson Pale Ale came in spot-on at 1.052 and is sitting at 69 degrees with my active Imperial Barbarian starter working on it now.Image

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

An apparently "Extra Strong Belgian Golden Ale" (compared to what I intended). I'm not exactly sure what happened here. This did have a full Belgian style high fermentability step mash. I did throw in some EC-1118 to eat up all the fermentable sugars and dry it out, but I didn't think it would eat up *everything* LOL. This is the beer I used Hallertau Blanc in, between the ~10% ABV and the bone dryness and the grapey hops, it tastes like flat Champaign. So I primed the snot out of it, may as well make it have the full Champaign effect at this point.
IMG_0176 (002).jpg
IMG_0176 (002).jpg (37.12 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Sounds like you made the new Brut IPA style on this one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk