The No Post Post

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

RedBEERd
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: The No Post Post

Post by RedBEERd »

FrozenInTime wrote:Here's a link to one of my buddies. He was on TV last night, pretty cool. He lives/eats/drinks/etc veterans, pretty damn nice guy. I'm pretty proud to be one of his buds. We had a nice bike ride today, he loves to ride as much as he can. He's the bearded charmer in da video. Give it a watch, it's worth it. This is where I do a lot of work and most my hunting.

http://www.wdaz.com/content/small-towns-brocket-nd-0
THIS is an AWESOME story that should be on CNN or something. Too many times guys like him are overlooked. What a great friend you have.
RedBEERd
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by RedBEERd »

BlackDuck wrote:I've been on vacation all this week on the Carolina coast. We were supposed to play golf today, but got rained out, so I went to the local beer store to buy some stuff to take home. Got a mixed 6 pack and 3 bombers. These are in addition to the variety of beer that I drank while I was here. Tomorrow, it's back on the road to home and back to the real world.

Here's what I got:
Green Bullet - Green Flash Brewing; San Diego, CA
Palate Wrecker - Green Flash Brewing; San Diego, CA
Trifecta IPA - Thomas Creek Brewery; Greenville, SC
Carolina India Pale Ale - Carolina Brewing Co.; Holly Springs, NC
Why Can't IBU Ale - Stillwater Artisanal; Stratford, CT
Hoptical Illusion IPA - Blue Point Brewing Co; Long Island, NY

And the 3 bombers are:
Hoppyum IPA - Foothills Brewing; Winston Salem, NC
June IPA of the Month - Foothills Brewing; Winston Salem, NC
Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Co; Petaluma, CA
You poor guy.......Yes I will take the PW off of your hands. As well as the Hoptical Illusion and the Hop STOOOOOPID! Thanks.

As for Hamilton's ale (someone else's question) I believe the story of that name is on the carton but I think it's from the original recipe, tho I can't remember the full story.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Can any body see the super Moon tonight? It's too cloudy here and calling for rain to see it good.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Overcast by me too Don...

When it did peek through it didn't seem any different from most other full moons though...

In fact just got in from hanging in the yard with one of my brothers and one of my daughters...

Drinking beers, digging tunes and just being...

:cool:
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Looked like a big, orange beach ball to me. But, me eyes were clouded over by too many brewskies.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Anyone miss the 50's? Here's a glimpse of the olden days our little green goblin is from:

Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Thoughts on PM

Post by Crazy Climber »

I think I'm done with partial mashing.

For most of my 3+ years since getting that first Mr. Beer kit, I've been doing extract w/ steeping grains.

I don't have the equipment to do a traditional three-vessel all-grain process. But I've done a BIAB or two, and plan to do more of that going forward. This summer, I decided to do a couple of partial mash batches, just for the hell of it.

But after going through the PM process a few times, I'm thinking: if I'm going to spend the time and effort to mash SOME grains, I might as well just do a BIAB and cut out the cost of the extract. When I want a shorter/easier brew day, I'll stick with simpler extract/steeping recipes.

Now that I've decided that, I have to resist the urge to buy a larger kettle. :evil:
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Thoughts on PM

Post by Inkleg »

Crazy Climber wrote:Now that I've decided that, I have to resist the urge to buy a larger kettle. :evil:
In mesmerizing voice >"You want a larger kettle, you need a larger kettle, you will get a larger kettle, do it for the beer" < end mesmerizing voice. :whistle:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

Oh Damn! The Voices are back..... :blink:
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

You'se guys ain't helpin'! :D

I've got a 4-gallon kettle, and for 2.5-gallon BIAB batches, that's like trying to fit 10 pounds of sausage into a 5 pound casing. Requires a bit of topping up to make it work.

I can get a 6-8 gallon kettle on Ebay for under $70, with encapsulated bottom. Verrrry enticing.....
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

Crazy Climber wrote:You'se guys ain't helpin'! :D

I've got a 4-gallon kettle, and for 2.5-gallon BIAB batches, that's like trying to fit 10 pounds of sausage into a 5 pound casing. Requires a bit of topping up to make it work.

I can get a 6-8 gallon kettle on Ebay for under $70, with encapsulated bottom. Verrrry enticing.....
Before you buy anything, ask them EXACTLY how much those pots can hold. I bought a brew pot from a kitchen supply on line. Claimed it was a 15 gallon brewer. Sum'bitch didn't even hold over 9.5 gallons. So verify it's actual capacity prior to purchase. Just say'n. :borg:

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Yankeedag wrote:

Before you buy anything, ask them EXACTLY how much those pots can hold. I bought a brew pot from a kitchen supply on line. Claimed it was a 15 gallon brewer. Sum'bitch didn't even hold over 9.5 gallons. So verify it's actual capacity prior to purchase. Just say'n. :borg:
Here you go...

Volume of a (vertical) cylinder...

V = pi * r2 * h

Example: Lets say the pot is 17" in dameter and 16" high...

V = 3.14159 * (8.5 inches * 8.5 inches) * 16 inches high

V = 3631.68 in3 (that's inches cubed)

That should answer your question!

What? No, not yet?

Ok, then...

1 cubic inch = 0.00432900433 US gallons

Sooo... 3631.68 in3 * 0.00432900433 gallons = 15.72 gallons

How Many Gallons Is My Pot

:cool:
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

Thanks for the cautionary tale, 'dag. And thanks for the high school math flashback, BPG. ;)

I used the formula to confirm that my 11" diameter, 9.75" tall kettle holds 4 gallons when filled right to the freakin' rim. And, having to fill it right to the freakin' rim when BIAB'ing is what I'm looking to avoid in the future.

I'm eyeing this one, which they list as "32-35 quart," for $67 (no shipping). I ran thier dimensions through BPG's formula (after rounding down a little to account for exaggeration) and came up with 32.4 quarts, so a tad over 8 gallons.

I've been experiencing "scope creep" on this thing. I'm thinking about upgrading from 4 gallons. It all started when I saw a decent 5-gallon kettle in WalMart for $60. So I started looking online, and found I could get that size for $40 on Ebay.

From there, it's a short leap to: "well, since I was willing to spend $60, I can get a SIX gallon kettle for that price..."

Next thing I know, it's "Well, for only $7 more, I can get EIGHT gallons..."

At this pace, before too long I'll be trying to justify the cost of this:

Crazy Climber:
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

Crazy Climber wrote:Thanks for the cautionary tale, 'dag. And thanks for the high school math flashback, BPG. ;)

I used the formula to confirm that my 11" diameter, 9.75" tall kettle holds 4 gallons when filled right to the freakin' rim. And, having to fill it right to the freakin' rim when BIAB'ing is what I'm looking to avoid in the future.

I'm eyeing this one, which they list as "32-35 quart," for $67 (no shipping). I ran thier dimensions through BPG's formula (after rounding down a little to account for exaggeration) and came up with 32.4 quarts, so a tad over 8 gallons.

I've been experiencing "scope creep" on this thing. I'm thinking about upgrading from 4 gallons. It all started when I saw a decent 5-gallon kettle in WalMart for $60. So I started looking online, and found I could get that size for $40 on Ebay.

From there, it's a short leap to: "well, since I was willing to spend $60, I can get a SIX gallon kettle for that price..."

Next thing I know, it's "Well, for only $7 more, I can get EIGHT gallons..."

At this pace, before too long I'll be trying to justify the cost of this:

and if you want to upgrade from that, I'll hold it for you... at no charge. Just say'n... :idea:

Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

You think that's no help, let me throw this out there.

It takes just as long to do a 5 gallon BIAB batch as it does 2.5. Soooooooo..........with a 15 gallon pot you could double our output and make any size beer you wanted. I've mashed 24lbs of grain and made a 5 gallon 1.105 OG RIS and 10 gallons of a 1.040 Centennial Blonde in my 15 gallon pot.

Inkleg disclaimer: I may or may not be offering the kind of help people are looking for. :whistle: :p
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison