Nano Brewery Startup

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

philm00x

Re: Nano Brewery Startup

Post by philm00x »

Agree with John Sand. Brew the beers that the people like, stop brewing ones that they don't. Looks like things are starting to take shape, even though it's gonna be a while before opening day! Best of luck, Eddie :)
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Funky Skunk Brewing »

Thanks guy for all the encouraging words and support. I'm going to be updating this post as we move forward with the setup process and everything we go through to get this off the ground all the way to first pint we pour.

I know it's still a ways away from now, but we're moving forward as best we can. I know there's a lot of work to come but we're ready for it.
Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

It's fun to read about your progress, so yes keep us posted.
:clink: Good Luck on your endeavors :clink:
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
rickbray66
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by rickbray66 »

This is really cool to read!! I wish you all the best and hopes it goes the way you envision. Keep on truckin!!

Rick
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

Best wishes, Skunk. You are truly "living the dream!"

You mention a COP license, no distribution, and selling pints. What about selling growlers to go? Does that fit in with your license, business plan and local regulations?

I ask because there's a local brewery that opened near me last year. They distribute locally, in bottles and cans (mobile canning line). They're working on upgrading their tasting room, and in the meantime, they have a makeshift tasting room operational, but also sell growlers (and refills). Their prices are reasonable, and the beer is generally good, so I like to stop by once in a while to fill a growler, to enjoy over a weekend.

There's another brewery in my area -- a nano -- that is doing phenomenal business, almost exclusively selling growlers. People wait in line out the door on weekends to get a fill.

So, it seems, anecdotally, that in some regions there's plenty of demand for fill-to-go business, if it's something you're allowed to do.
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
jimmypirate
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by jimmypirate »

Was wondering what had happened to you. Looking forward to keeping up on your progress.
~On the Way~

~On the Board~
Small Batch Gossamer Red
Small Batch Cherry Wheat
Big Batch Cerveza
Big Batch Canadian Blonde

~R.I.P~
Small Batch Cerveza
Small Batch Chile Lime Cerveza
Small Batch Canadian Blonde
Small Batch Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner
Small Batch Hopped Up IPA
Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Crazy Climber wrote:Best wishes, Skunk. You are truly "living the dream!"

You mention a COP license, no distribution, and selling pints. What about selling growlers to go? Does that fit in with your license, business plan and local regulations?

I ask because there's a local brewery that opened near me last year. They distribute locally, in bottles and cans (mobile canning line). They're working on upgrading their tasting room, and in the meantime, they have a makeshift tasting room operational, but also sell growlers (and refills). Their prices are reasonable, and the beer is generally good, so I like to stop by once in a while to fill a growler, to enjoy over a weekend.

There's another brewery in my area -- a nano -- that is doing phenomenal business, almost exclusively selling growlers. People wait in line out the door on weekends to get a fill.

So, it seems, anecdotally, that in some regions there's plenty of demand for fill-to-go business, if it's something you're allowed to do.
Yes, in the short answer. We can sell growlers and look to do that as you mentioned they are a big business for small and larger breweries/tap rooms a like. Speaking with other nano/micro breweries, they do a booming business on growlers for the reasons you stated of enjoying a beer through a weekend. So yes, that is a big part to us in our business plan with expected costs to profit tables.

Jimmy - Thank you. Yeah, we're still around. Getting this dream back going full throttle after some family issues that needed our full attention and more.
Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

I'm following this one with great interest as it is on my bucket list of things to do. Very cool Funky Skunk. Wish you all the best. Please continue to share as much detail as you're willing to share.
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

gwcr wrote:I'm following this one with great interest as it is on my bucket list of things to do. Very cool Funky Skunk. Wish you all the best. Please continue to share as much detail as you're willing to share.
Thank you very much. I will share everything from start to finish on here and our website when it goes live after the first of the year. There is a A LOT to this and I want others to know what exactly is involved. There is a whole lot more to it than just opening up with some fancy equipment. The legal issues, TTB forms, health codes, county codes, building codes, employee issues, brewing schedule, building leasing issues ... The list seemingly keeps going and going.

Don't get me wrong, I understand each step is needed. But man, it can get trying at times.
Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

Best of luck to you on this. And YES! Keep us posted on your progress. I, for one, am living vicariously through you. :D

:urock:
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
jimmypirate
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by jimmypirate »

Like Tim trying to go legal on Moonshiners... :fedora:
~On the Way~

~On the Board~
Small Batch Gossamer Red
Small Batch Cherry Wheat
Big Batch Cerveza
Big Batch Canadian Blonde

~R.I.P~
Small Batch Cerveza
Small Batch Chile Lime Cerveza
Small Batch Canadian Blonde
Small Batch Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner
Small Batch Hopped Up IPA
Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

jimmypirate wrote:Like Tim trying to go legal on Moonshiners... :fedora:
Hahahaha....Funny :jumpy: :jumpy:

Better than Tickle.
Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Well, just received some bad news from the listing agent on an industrial building we were really hoping to get. Spoke with land lords and their insurance does not like the idea of having alcohol on premises. I tried to tell them our insurance would cover that, they were not bighting though. So, back to the building search again. Hated this as the building was perfect. 1,000 square feet and ready to pretty much move in for only $450 per moth with water included.

Oh well, can't dwell on it, time to get back to the search.
Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

That's odd. But, continue the good search.
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

While it sucks for you, I can understand a landlord not wanting the liability. While most people are responsible, all it takes is one irresponsible drunk to ruin it for everyone.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)