Infection? New fermenter advice...

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

JimH
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: Infection? New fermenter advice...

Post by JimH »

Alright, thanks! I might be heading to the hardware store soon to check it out. So, it looks like if it is #2, it needs the label, but #4 and #5 are good to go. See if I can find a food save bucket and possibly a spigot today.
Jimbo Homebrew Co.
----------------------------------------
Drinking:
Keg1:
Keg2:
Keg3:
Bottled:
Nothing!
Fermenting:
Fermenter 1 (5 Gal Bucket): Empty :(
Fermenter 2 (1 gal.): Empty :(

On Deck:
Something?!
JimH
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by JimH »

Well, I went for it. Tractor Supply Co has 5 gallon food grade buckets for $5. I couldn't pass it up. I have everything I need to brew right now and I think the 5 gallon will work okay for my needs. And at $5, it was way cheaper than ordering from the internet. Just need to install the airlock bung and I am good to go! Still need to order some spigots and an auto siphon, but I think this will be okay for my needs right now.
Jimbo Homebrew Co.
Drinking:
Keg1:
Keg2:
Keg3:
Bottled:
Nothing!
Fermenting:

On Deck:
Something?!
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Good deal. For $5, you can't go wrong.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
JimH
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by JimH »

That's my thought. At $5 it suits my needs for now, and I can still upgrade later without spending a lot of money now. The other plus is that I have it now, so I can brew. The day got away from me today, but I can brew tomorrow or Thursday without having to wait for Northern Brewer to ship me a new fermenter. Thanks for all the help guys!
Jimbo Homebrew Co.
Drinking:
Keg1:
Keg2:
Keg3:
Bottled:
Nothing!
Fermenting:

On Deck:
Something?!
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Brew-ra!
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

You certainly want a 6.5 if doing 5 gallon batches if possible. Especially if you start using a true top cropping yeast that can eat up 1/3rd of your fermenter as headspace when they get ripping. I've lost a gallon of beer in the past as blowoff when using that kind of yeast and doing sugar feedings...
JimH
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by JimH »

Got a 3 gallon batch in my bucket! Man, now I know why buckets are popular. I gave mine a bath before brewing, super easy to clean. Pouring in the wort and pitching yeast? Easy to hit a 15 inch circle for your target!
Jimbo Homebrew Co.
Drinking:
Keg1:
Keg2:
Keg3:
Bottled:
Nothing!
Fermenting:

On Deck:
Something?!
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

JimH wrote:Got a 3 gallon batch in my bucket! Man, now I know why buckets are popular. I gave mine a bath before brewing, super easy to clean. Pouring in the wort and pitching yeast? Easy to hit a 15 inch circle for your target!
You got that right! Once you go bucket, you'll never...um...ah forget it. Can't think of anything that rhymes with bucket... :p
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
rickbray66
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by rickbray66 »

gwcr wrote:
JimH wrote:Got a 3 gallon batch in my bucket! Man, now I know why buckets are popular. I gave mine a bath before brewing, super easy to clean. Pouring in the wort and pitching yeast? Easy to hit a 15 inch circle for your target!
You got that right! Once you go bucket, you'll never...um...ah forget it. Can't think of anything that rhymes with bucket... :p
Once you go bucket, you'll brew beer for Nantucket????

Is that what you were looking for?????

Rick
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

you got that right. After the first time I used my ale pail I never wanted to use my LBKs again. Those things were a nightmare to clean. They are dark with a lot of hidden corners for infections to take refuge. With a bucket you can see every bit of it and it is easy to reach into to scrub it clean.
JimH
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by JimH »

You're right Gymrat. I think that may be what happened to my LBK. It was incredibly hard to reach to that little hanging nipple in the back of that thing. I have only myself to blame for not cleaning better, but I like how easy this bucket will be to clean.

Downside, I can't see the fermentation happening, and no airlock activity. I know, I know, the lid may not be airtight, so don't freak out about no airlock activity, but it is just a bit unnerving when you are used to seeing fermentation activity.
Jimbo Homebrew Co.
Drinking:
Keg1:
Keg2:
Keg3:
Bottled:
Nothing!
Fermenting:

On Deck:
Something?!
russki
Russki
Russki

Post by russki »

JimH wrote:You're right Gymrat. I think that may be what happened to my LBK. It was incredibly hard to reach to that little hanging nipple in the back of that thing. I have only myself to blame for not cleaning better, but I like how easy this bucket will be to clean.

Downside, I can't see the fermentation happening, and no airlock activity. I know, I know, the lid may not be airtight, so don't freak out about no airlock activity, but it is just a bit unnerving when you are used to seeing fermentation activity.
If you are worried, use a flashlight on the lid, you should be able to see krausen on top of the wort from the side.

I use buckets and PET carboys interchangeably, and I like both for different reasons... Buckets are easier to clean, but it's nice to be able to perv!
In Soviet Russia, beer brews you!
My brews
Fermenting:
Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat (5-gal)(AG)
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
Flanders Red (5-gal)(AG) x 2
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

I agree with you Jim. I just did my first batch in a 2 gallon bucket that I bought to brew 1.5 gallon batches in. It has a handle which makes it really easy to move around. The lid is kind of flimsy and looks like it leaks. I need to put a spigot on it so that bottling can be done without racking.

Hopefully the batch is infection free.
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

I've done the flashlight through the lid on the buckets too. Can see the krausen line plain as day, and can't beat them for ease of cleaning. However, the brew in my BD conical is currently churning like crazy! I must have gone down to look at it 20 times already. There's nothing like watching a yeast party!

:banana: :hammer: :banana: :hammer: :banana:
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build