Did this to 49 bottles

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Did this to 49 bottles

Post by mtsoxfan »

I've read many articles that mention Brett, but none explain exactually what it is etc... guess it's time for a search...
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Wow you do that bare handed? I suit up first. Sorry for your loss I hate when that happens.
Bomb Apparel 001.JPG
Bomb Apparel 001.JPG (40.28 KiB) Viewed 835 times
Sibling Brewers
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

Me, with my twisted mind, with every bottle you opened, was thinking of the beginning of the Beverly Hillbillies where Jed puts a bullet in the dirt and "up from the ground comes a-bubblin crude".
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

FedoraDave wrote:
Rebel_B wrote:That is Crazy! Wonder if you got some of the same chocolate malt 'the Hat' was referring to in another topic?
I wondered the same thing. Curious that it's those darker beers that we use the chocolate malt in. The only lighter one of mine that gushed was a batch of South Ferry Steam Beer, but I did use a touch of chocolate malt in it, for color and body.

I guess next time I use chocolate malt, I'm going to write down a lot more information about it, just to keep closer track.
Dave ... you got me to realize that all my gushers, not that I've had many .... had choc malt or wheat in them.

It is lucky for me that I'm not really likin' choc malt anymore anyway, so I'm not going to miss it.

I've got Browns on hold until further notice .... maybe forever.

I am getting down to Pale Ales, IPA's and Stouts ........... why brew other stuff if I like these the best?

But the evidence is stacking up on choc malt. My gushers, I drank. They weren't as sever as this video ... poured them into glass over the sink. Slowly ... losing some. They tasted fine.
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

I had one batch with a few gushers, and it was also a stout with choc malt. But like Tom, these were nowhere near the ones in the video. I just let them run in the sink a little, then drank them.
MK RAM

Post by MK RAM »

Noob question......How does one realize there is an infection? And as someone above me asked...is it undrinkable?
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

well... in some cases, you have what's know as the "Ring of Death" in the bottle it's self. Normally found at the upper level of the beer in the neck.
You have Gushers...but they may not have an off flavor
then you have the it goes in your mouth...and comes right back out.

Just a couple of examples. There is a section in John J. Palmer's How to Brew. There should be a link to that somewhere around here. If not, I'm sure someone will post it. Worth the read. very informative.
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Dag, you forgot the biggie. The dreaded bottle bombs. One bottle bomb might be an anomaly, two move the whole batch to a cooler or something,
three ask yourself if you over primed and if not do what Inkleg did ASAP ergo the reason I posted a picture of apparel. Even with all that gear on my hands were shaking so bad I could hardly get the caps off.
Sibling Brewers
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

Brewbirds wrote:Dag, you forgot the biggie. The dreaded bottle bombs. One bottle bomb might be an anomaly, two move the whole batch to a cooler or something,
three ask yourself if you over primed and if not do what Inkleg did ASAP ergo the reason I posted a picture of apparel. Even with all that gear on my hands were shaking so bad I could hardly get the caps off.
I didn't mention Bottle Bombs becuase they are not always associated with infections. There are several reasons for B-Bombs, and they far out number infections, and I was trying to stay with the original question. But, as you said, Infection cannot be just ruled out, when it comes to B-Bombs.

:opps:
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

Dang, that sucks, Inkleg. Hope they weren't Bell's Brewery bottles. :lol:

Actually I just pulled out a few bottles from different batches and emptied them because they had infected beer. And for some reason, they were all bottles from Bell's. Only reason I know is because there were still labels on them. So I'm just tossing them out as I find them.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

teutonic terror wrote:Hey guys, was it British or Belgian chocolate?

FWIW, I used British in mine (SRM450) , 7 weeks ago.
The one I just pulled from the freezer and drank had a decent head, but did not gush.
In fact, it's been in the bottle for over three weeks now, and I think it's undercarbed!
Also, if you boil it, how can it infect your beer?
That would come in at bottling, wouldn't it?
Things that make you go Hmmmm....

My 2 cents!
Hope you get it figured out!
Well, yeah, you boil the wort, so it's sanitized/pasteurized/whateverized, but then you're chilling it and putting it in a fermenter at a lower temperature and letting it sit for two or three weeks. And that's where the infection could likely occur. Maybe less so at bottling, because of the alcohol already present, although improperly sanitized bottles/utensils/equipment could contribute, as could a faulty procedure.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

I suspected something was up when I tried one at 3 weeks and it was SUPER carbed then. I put both cases in to the coolers my LBKs use to sit in and found that one had gone off yesterday.
I didn't even try the beer, just wanted to defuse them as quickly as possible. I'm sure it was great beer (I don't brew any other kind), but it wasn't worth the risk. You can see toward the end of the video that I found another on that had gone off. The top was intact, but had blown the bottom off. There was a ring of floaties at the top of each bottle.
It was a 5.3 gallons batched primed with 84 grams of cane sugar for 2.0 volumes. My notes say or show nothing out of the ordinary. Go figure.

Mya, aka Big Fuzzy was my larger than life hound mix that we lost last year. This beer is named Big Fuzzys Breakfast Stout and is also larger than life at 9%. The last batch was great and didn't last long. This was her way of reminding me of her. Gone but never forgotten.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Togorok

Post by Togorok »

Who needs to go to a water park this looks better
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

It was kinda fun, two that weren't filmed should have been opened outside, they made a mess.

My son came home, looked it the recycle bin and said "Did we have a party I don't know about".
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
teutonic terror
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by teutonic terror »

FedoraDave wrote:
teutonic terror wrote:Hey guys, was it British or Belgian chocolate?

FWIW, I used British in mine (SRM450) , 7 weeks ago.
The one I just pulled from the freezer and drank had a decent head, but did not gush.
In fact, it's been in the bottle for over three weeks now, and I think it's undercarbed!
Also, if you boil it, how can it infect your beer?
That would come in at bottling, wouldn't it?
Things that make you go Hmmmm....

My 2 cents!
Hope you get it figured out!
Well, yeah, you boil the wort, so it's sanitized/pasteurized/whateverized, but then you're chilling it and putting it in a fermenter at a lower temperature and letting it sit for two or three weeks. And that's where the infection could likely occur. Maybe less so at bottling, because of the alcohol already present, although improperly sanitized bottles/utensils/equipment could contribute, as could a faulty procedure.
The only reason I asked was because it looks like a couple of folks are pointing to the dark malt as the culprit and I was just trying to understand the reasoning!
Thanks Dave!