Let's name some names

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: Let's name some names

Post by Banjo-guy »

Brewbirds wrote:Sort of on topic I've been wondering why there aren't very many of the noobs that signed up here earlier that post.
This is not really a criticism of the borg but an observation.
This site has a majority of users who go back to the old site. You all bonded on the Mr. Beer site and learned to brew together. It can be a little hard for a noob to break in. Everyone is very open and welcoming but you guys go way back. A large part of the borg is social and not generally about brewing beer. Noobs are interested in information and not the social aspect of the borg.

Of course what makes this place unique is that it is about more than just beer.
I might be totally wrong in my observation. :)
evily
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by evily »

I agree, Banjo-guy. To a noob, we probably seem a little clique-ish, because we have a history and inside jokes and a more social aspect.
~*~*~I like big beers and I cannot lie!~*~*~
Foothiller
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented
Location: Northern CA (Sierra foothills) / Interests: BJCP Certified

Post by Foothiller »

I have wondered if we would hear more from Knightmare. We had a great RCE collaboration a while back, but I haven't seen him here much.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Crazy Climber wrote:bpgreen (he was among the most helpful when I was first polluting the MB forum with stupid questions. I believe he switched over to the MB Fans forum when the original MB one took a dump.)
Brian spends a lot of time on HBT in the MrB section helping folks there. Maybe we should ping him and let him know about this place. He's a good guy and very knowledgeable, too.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:I remember meeting Kenny in a Washington state brew pub for beers about three years ago, I think we sat drank and talked for hours. He later took a tour of the Untied States visiting every brewery he passed along the way. He's hit me up on FaceBook since then as he built a new bar after he moved, but I don't remember seeing his posts lately.
I did, too - when he came through California. I took him out to a local brewery and we drank, chatted and had a good time hanging out and talking beer.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Banjo-guy wrote: Of course what makes this place unique is that it is about more than just beer.
I might be totally wrong in my observation. :)
I think you are right on your observation Banjo-guy, but I also see a lot of the noobs that joined this forum are right amongst us now in our everyday chatter. I think sometimes people loose interest in a hobby and/or a forum. I was really a big poster in a chainsaw forum a few years ago, I'm still interested in chainsaws but I haven't posted there in over a year.
This forum is more then just beer even though you can get a good quick answer on a problem as you are brewing, you can also ask and talk about other things in life and get good feedback also.
Another one I was wondering about is Christ72 or something like that, I did a beer exchange with him and he had some good brews.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Some people lurk while others post less frequently. You can send an email to any registered user to ask them to come back, just click on their name and you will see the option (note that this will give them your email address). I retrieved Evily this way, and she only spams me daily... :lol: You can also see the last time they visited, although I don`t know if that is cookie based or you have to be logged in.

One big difference between this forum and the Mr. Beer forum seems to be, as stated, much less noob posting (never find the forum), and much more posting of things not related to beer. There also seems to be a smaller number of posters posting, and a few that drive the new threads. I would think it hard for a new person to feel as comfortable joining this forum vs. one run by the company that makes their beer.

I come here to talk about beer and brewing, I go to a truck forum to talk about trucks, and I don`t talk about personal stuff on any forum or The Facebook. While I don`t mind the personal posts, I also don`t read most of them. If the forum had an "ignore post" function, I`d use it to keep things cleaner. Just my 2 cents, with less than that...
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
teutonic terror
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by teutonic terror »

Eh, I've seen the cliquish thing, but as stated before, alot of you started brewing at pretty much the same
time , so you joined the other site at pretty much the same time!

I visit everyday, mainly just to see what's being discussed. I lurk alot and I don't post everyday, unless a
topic interests me and I feel I can contribute something to it.
So, it might be weeks between my posts, as a few of you might have observed! (Or Not)
I'm more comfortable with that.

That all being said, I enjoy the diversity in the topics. Barbequing, cooking, pets, SWMBO and generally the things that
make us...US, get discussed and, most of the time, without alot of drama.

I enjoy that!

And how many times did I use "I" in that post! :p
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

I just chatted with Ken Lee yesterday. He's still doing well, and he's going to be in Nashville sometime in the spring, so I'm assuming we'll get in a brewery hop and maybe a baseball game in the new stadium opening next year (if it's late enough in the spring). Ken, as you remember, can't pass up a new baseball stadium...
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

As for me, I don't post near as often as I used to for a few reasons... I simply haven't brewed much in the last year or so (pipeline was overflowing, and family activities got in the way), and I tended to post a great deal on answering n00b questions, and as mentioned before, they ain't here for whatever reasons (they ain't on the MB forum in great numbers either). I do read and post in spurts, as I feel a lot of camaraderie and I like to keep up with what's going on with you all. Probably as I start brewing more, I'll engage more in the posting and the like. Thx to Louie for the forum, as the Mr. B one is still darn near unusable in the few times I've ventured there. I tried to answer some questions a month or two ago, and it was frustrating to post, and I don't need that in my life.
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I can see where some people could see this forum as having cliques. There are a few small groups that seems to chat with each other a lot and use first names (Paul, Chris, Jeff and I are a few) but I hope that doesn't deter anybody from posting.

There are a lot of great brewers on here with a low of knowledge, some very specialized (can you say Belgian beers = mashani) that have a lot to share.

There is nobody on this board that I wouldn't share a beer with if our paths crossed. Heck, I might even pay :razz:
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

Kealia wrote:I can see where some people could see this forum as having cliques. There are a few small groups that seems to chat with each other a lot and use first names (Paul, Chris, Jeff and I are a few) but I hope that doesn't deter anybody from posting.

There are a lot of great brewers on here with a low of knowledge, some very specialized (can you say Belgian beers = mashani) that have a lot to share.

There is nobody on this board that I wouldn't share a beer with if our paths crossed. Heck, I might even pay :razz:
:blink:you Swening us?
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I think we're definitely an acquired taste. Newcomers might be a little intimidated, but there's also the attrition factor to take into consideration. How many new brewers show up, full of enthusiasm, only to realize that homebrewing requires a certain commitment and mindset? Let's face it; this hobby is not for everyone.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Old Smokey Amber Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
100 Years War IPA -- Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

FedoraDave wrote: Let's face it; this hobby is not for everyone.
Yup, it's not always easy but the final outcome is good.....................if you want to work at it..............
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
evily
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by evily »

RickBeer wrote:You can send an email to any registered user to ask them to come back, just click on their name and you will see the option (note that this will give them your email address). I retrieved Evily this way, and she only spams me daily... :lol:
:redface: Sorry. I'll try to cut back to spamming you weekly. :p
~*~*~I like big beers and I cannot lie!~*~*~