Not another Hop growing Thread

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Not another Hop growing Thread

Post by LouieMacGoo »

Yeah, I got the plants in early May but didn't get them in the ground for a few weeks
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

How are yours looking Berryman?
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Not another Hop growing Thread

Post by berryman »

Not as good as Louie's looks, but I think they're about right for the first year and planted late.
Image the Nuggets is over the 6 ft wire, Chinook a little behind and the Cascades a little less also. The mt.Hoods aren't growing very fast at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I really didn't expect to get much of a harvest the first year as per everything I've read, and this has been a sucky growing year anyways around here. BUT they have gone nuts the past few weeks, now I wish I would have put them higher like my original plan, they are running horizontal (with my help) but they really want to go up. Now I got a little question......the Nugget and Chinook are loaded with cones, what am I looking for too know when they are ripe for the picking?
I'll get a pic of them this coming weekend.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

mashani wrote:Too many dogs - not just my own - but random fosters - is why I do not grow hops. The only reason why.
This for me as well. I'd have to grow them outside of the back fence (where the garden area would be a natural location). I may try to plant a couple next year, as I have an open wall that I could string some up. I'm thinking Pearle or Mt. Hood, as I use both a fair bit.

Those new pics are great, berryman. I don't have near enough room to do something that nice. The only option I'd have it to lease some community garden space (which is what Yazoo does).
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

When you squeeze one between your fingers, it should feel papery. If you break it open, you'll see yellow.

If the cones start to turn brown, they're starting to oxidize (this is s bad thing).

You don't need to worry about growing hops with dogs. Dogs will ignore them. The main danger is when they're mixed with malt. That's when dogs find them attractive. I used to have a dog that was half lab and would eat ANYTHING and she ignored the hops.
Last edited by bpgreen on Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewnewb »

I have 2 cascade bines that are in their second year. I just wanted to see how / if they would grow. I can only run a twine about 12' up. They grew, fell over and grew up themselves again.

I'm sure this is NOT the right way but my gosh, they are covered with cones. I actually harvested one a couple weeks ago and made a simple extract beer with fresh hops. It seemed to turn out OK.

I'm going to harvest again this weekend and make something ..... I'm just not sure what .....

Here's a couple pics

Thirsting For Knowledge
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

brewnewb wrote:I have 2 cascade bines that are in their second year. I just wanted to see how / if they would grow. I can only run a twine about 12' up. They grew, fell over and grew up themselves again.

I'm sure this is NOT the right way but my gosh, they are covered with cones. I actually harvested one a couple weeks ago and made a simple extract beer with fresh hops. It seemed to turn out OK.

I'm going to harvest again this weekend and make something ..... I'm just not sure what .....

Here's a couple pics

Nice Pictures, Gives me something to look forward to next year.....This Hop growing thing looks like fun.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

Not great pics but these are my hops about a week ago. They are quite a bit bigger now.

Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

bpgreen wrote:When you squeeze one between your fingers, it should feel papery. If you break it open, you'll see yellow.

If the cones start to turn brown, they're starting to oxidize (this is s bad thing).
Do you have any pics for examples of what are not ready and what are ready. I think this is the hardest part of growing hops. I have some that where the edges of the cones are turning brown and those are the ones that smell the best. Tbey have the cleanest and most hop like aroma compared to ones much greener and not as dry. Those seem to have much more of a vegetative plant aroma. Are the brown edges an indicator they are ready? When are they oxidized and no longer good?
Brew Strong My Friends...
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

MadBrewer wrote:
bpgreen wrote:When you squeeze one between your fingers, it should feel papery. If you break it open, you'll see yellow.

Do you have any pics for examples of what are not ready and what are ready. I think this is the hardest part of growing hops. I have some that where the edges of the cones are turning brown and those are the ones that smell the best. Tbey have the cleanest and most hop like aroma compared to ones much greener and not as dry. Those seem to have much more of a vegetative plant aroma. Are the brown edges an indicator they are ready? When are they oxidized and no longer good?
I don't have any pictures. I don't go by looks. I go by feel. If they're dry and papery, they're ready. I don't even break them open and look for the yellow. I just go by the papery feel. Sometimes, I figure I'll only get one harvest from a bine. In that case, I'll just pull all of the cones at the same time. If I think I'll get multiple harvests, I'll check each cone for "doneness" before picking it.

I think you're ok if they're starting to brown at the edges, but you don't want to wait until there's a lot of brown.

One additional hint I've learned is that if you use a dehydrator to dry your hops, don't go cheap. Go with something that has adjustable temperatures and dry at low heat. if you dry at a higher heat, you lose AA.
Last edited by bpgreen on Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Yes, based on working the Yazoo hop farm, I can say that in their opinion, cones with some brown were fine.

ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by swenocha on Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

swenocha wrote:Image
I hope Beerlord dosen't see this Pic. we will loose him forever, he will drown in that...............
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Well I went for it today. I picked all I could before having to head into work for afternoons. I will try to get some more picked tomorrow and there is also some that need more time on the bines. What I did pick seemed like they were ready, I'm still getting a feel for that. But between look, feel and smell I think they were ready. This was about 1/2 a 5 gal bucket and weighed out to over 1.75 lbs. I'll need to make another screen. I have these sitting in my hot garage with a fan blowing on them. It's the best I can do. I guess we will see how they do.

How long will these need to dry out?
Attachments
11885197_996347877052245_3580942102562453303_n.jpg
11885197_996347877052245_3580942102562453303_n.jpg (84.25 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
11870745_996346070385759_6451860465742331401_n.jpg
11870745_996346070385759_6451860465742331401_n.jpg (35.68 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
Brew Strong My Friends...
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

@MadBrewer, That. Is. Beautiful.

@brewnewb, love the vine growing up the veranda (sounds more fancy then porch). :lol:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison