Looks like no brewing for awhile...

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Re: Looks like no brewing for awhile...

Post by FrozenInTime »

Sorry to hear this. I have back problems, not bad enough to operate on but bad enough to take pain killers the rest of my life. I know a few guys who have back operations and not a one has gotten better because of it. Avoid it, surgery should be a last ditch effort, a small pain is better than excruciating pain the rest of your life. I hope they find a way to help you without a knife involved!
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I hope you and your doctors can resolve this and you can get back to a functioning life ASAP. Get multiple opinions and weigh your options. And follow the doctors' recommendations to the letter.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Old Smokey Amber Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
100 Years War IPA -- Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by JohnSant »

One last thing: although I'm fine from my surgery, SWMBO went in 10 yrs. ago and had surgery on the neck now she can't move her neck sideways to look over her shoulder and she has pain quite often. Just saying!
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Very sorry to hear you are going through all of this. I hope you are feeling better soon.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Stinkfist
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Stinkfist »

Thanks for all the info guys...the pain doctor I saw on Tuesday, Pretty much said that when he first saw my MRI, he knew the spinal injection was a formality and knew he would have to refer me to the spinal surgeon based on the amount of the disc that protruding into my spine....

I am not very optimistic that I have many options besides surgery....I should have an appt with the neurosurgeon in a couple of weeks and see what he has to say...At least the pain doctor gave me some good meds..so that is helping...Although those are misleading since they literally block all the pain, which in my head makes me think hey maybe I do not need surgery...even though I know I cannot take these meds for the rest of my life...

johnsant....what area was your wife's surgery and where was yours?

yeah I was told from doctor that PT would be useless for me at this point..hard to do PT when it is too hard to do much else...and he said PT can not fix this issue..it can help you cope but will not fix it...

still not sure surgery is the best option, but not being able to walk would be worse..
Third Eye Brewing

Since I am too lazy to update this every brew...I will update with list of awards ;)

2013 Upper Mississippi Mashout
Gold medal 10A American Pale Ale
Bronze medal 10B American Amber Ale

2012 Upper Mississippi Mash out
Silver medal 3B European Amber Lager Oktoberfest

2012 National Homebrew Competition First round
Gold Medal 3B European Amber Lager Oktoberfest

2012 Minnesota State Fair Homebrew Competition
Gold Medal 3B European Amber Lager
Gold Medal 10A American Pale Ale
-3rd place Overall!
Stinkfist
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Stinkfist »

I couldn't get into see the surgeon for 5-6 weeks(Still have 4 weeks)....which sucks so I am kind of just suffering along till then, it has not gotten any better, maybe even a little worse...

I was able to get a "Second" first opinion just needed to pick up my MRI results and dropping them off tomorrow to see what they think. will be nice to have two opinions(My Wife has connections).

thought I would include a picture from MRI, so enjoy looking at my insides...lol
MRI_9-11-15.jpg
MRI_9-11-15.jpg (86.86 KiB) Viewed 805 times
Third Eye Brewing

Since I am too lazy to update this every brew...I will update with list of awards ;)

-3rd place Overall!
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

Knowing you, it is probably a spinal hop blockage. I'd suggest flushing 2-3 times a day with a quality European lager until pain subsides.

Seriously, I hope things move quickly and turn out well for you, Stink. Keep us updated.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I'm no doctor, but your MRI clearly seems to show "Total Recall Disease". You may turn into a manly-looking woman with a head that blows up.

If your eyes starting bulging out, you have real problems.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
docpd
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by docpd »

From your current symptoms, lack of response to the pain injection, and significant herniation seen on MRI, it is likely that surgery will be your best option now. It is advisable to get a couple of opinions and to be sure your surgeon is willing to answer all your questions up front. Most people do well in this circumstance, but there are significant potential complications. I wish you the best.
Stinkfist
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Stinkfist »

docpd wrote:From your current symptoms, lack of response to the pain injection, and significant herniation seen on MRI, it is likely that surgery will be your best option now. It is advisable to get a couple of opinions and to be sure your surgeon is willing to answer all your questions up front. Most people do well in this circumstance, but there are significant potential complications. I wish you the best.
Thanks for the info! I went and saw my doctor because it was so long to see the surgeon I needed a drug refill, and they were able to get my appointment moved up and I am going to see the surgeon in Wednesday so I will see what he says, I got a sort of second opinion and it was the same.. Go see a surgeon. At this point I just hope I can get it fixed soon, it seems to be getting progressively worse..
Third Eye Brewing

-3rd place Overall!
Stinkfist
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Stinkfist »

So finally have my surgery date scheduled, I am heading under the knife on Dec 16th and am hopefully getting the disc replacement vs a fusion as long as there are no complications. So hopefully I will start feeling better soon!

I have been waiting so long for this I wasn't worried now that it is scheduled starting to get a little nervous...
Third Eye Brewing

-3rd place Overall!
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

We got a Fusion in 2009, great gas mileage!
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Stinkfist wrote:So finally have my surgery date scheduled, I am heading under the knife on Dec 16th and am hopefully getting the disc replacement vs a fusion as long as there are no complications. So hopefully I will start feeling better soon!

I have been waiting so long for this I wasn't worried now that it is scheduled starting to get a little nervous...
Good luck. I hope everything goes smoothly and you have a speedy recovery.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

bpgreen wrote:Good luck. I hope everything goes smoothly and you have a speedy recovery.
Yes, ditto, exactly what I was going to say.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

The_Professor wrote:
bpgreen wrote:Good luck. I hope everything goes smoothly and you have a speedy recovery.
Yes, ditto, exactly what I was going to say.
Make that three... Best wishes man!

:cool: