My future way of brewing

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: My future way of brewing

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I have a Keureg and a Tassimo coffee brewer, the Keureg allows me to fill my own pods with any coffee I like. The Tassimo relies on a bar code on each pod to know how to heat the water for brewing cappuccino, espresso, coffee, tea, etc... Since the Tassimo pods are expensive, Keureg pods a little less expensive, and the fact that I drink a whole pot of coffee daily, I use a good old Mr. Coffee brewer the most.

I guess the same logic applies to brewing coffee or beer, it depends on whether your brewing for fun, the novelty or because your thirsty.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Meanwhile, Brulosopher's latest post is a 2.5gal all grain SMaSH he brewed in 1 hour. 15 minute mash, 15 minute boil. BIAB for simplicity and quick clean up. Results were a really good pilsner. Others on HBT are using short mashes, 10-20 minutes with good results.
I've tried short mashes and boils, but I generally do an hour each.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:I have a Keureg and a Tassimo coffee brewer, the Keureg allows me to fill my own pods with any coffee I like. The Tassimo relies on a bar code on each pod to know how to heat the water for brewing cappuccino, espresso, coffee, tea, etc... Since the Tassimo pods are expensive, Keureg pods a little less expensive, and the fact that I drink a whole pot of coffee daily, I use a good old Mr. Coffee brewer the most.

I guess the same logic applies to brewing coffee or beer, it depends on whether your brewing for fun, the novelty or because your thirsty.
Kuerig 2.0 didn't allow home made pods. I understand they had a huge backlash and went back to allowing the home made pods.

I used to drink a pot every day but decided to cut back. I found it difficult to make a good partial pot, but found a coffee maker that accepts k-cups or a scoop. I get more consistent results from the k-cups (from costco), so that's what I usually use.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

I like grinding my own beans...

My mash tun of choice is a French Press...

A coarse grind seems to work best.

I mash in at 200-205°F and do an expansion rest for 30 seconds to a minute.

Once the grounds 'bloom', I stir and then cover, allowing a 5-7 minute 'caffein rest' at about 180°F.

At that point, I slowly 'press' the screen through the mash and pour off the hot liquor.

:rofl: :razz:
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

BPG, you sir know how to make a good cup of coffee! I'll see you in the morning, I'll bring my cup. :)
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Inkleg wrote:BPG, you sir know how to make a good cup of coffee! I'll see you in the morning, I'll bring my cup. :)
You sir, are welcome anytime!

:cool: