Back to Brewing, and Mishaps

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Re: Back to Brewing, and Mishaps

Post by Beer-lord »

Inkleg is spot on.
Welcome knenton00.
Oh, you buy the first round.!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
kbenton00

Post by kbenton00 »

Thanks for the welcome all.

KB
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Welcome aBorg KB!

:borg:
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

John Sand wrote:I have a bottle of Pliny for comparison when the time comes.
Another little question that arose: I re-hydrated and proofed my yeast for the first time. I used boiled and cooled water and some wort from the boil, likewise cooled to 100. Palmer says there should be a reaction after the wort is added, there wasn't. But I poured my hydrometer sample into the jar after decanting the yeast. This morning there was foam on that sample, so I guess the yeast was good.
If my memory isn't throwing me any Saturday morning curve balls, I think Palmer mentioned 'proofing' dry yeast with sugar will give you the fastest results.
proofing-yeast.jpg
proofing-yeast.jpg (20.24 KiB) Viewed 578 times
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

That's right SB. He does say sugar, or dme/water boiled, but I'm sure sugar gives the quick results. Anyway, the batch is bubbling away nicely now.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

Its amazing how fast I forgot some of the basic procedures of brewing when I came off of my 4 month break.

I've got an Austin Homebrew Supply Pliny Kit dry hopping right now. I'm not too optimistic about it being like the original because the Zymatic is very different when using hops.
Does anyone know it there is a dead on clone recipe of Pliny then Elder?
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

This is the first time I'm trying to clone it. There is at least one long thread of recipes on HomeBrewTalk.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Banjo-guy wrote:Does anyone know it there is a dead on clone recipe of Pliny then Elder?
I don't know if its a dead on clone because I think the recipe has changed slightly over time, and I honestly have never had a fresh bottle of the real thing - but the kit that MoreBeer sells is a scaled down version of the original recipe that Vinnie Cilurzo gave them. So it's "straight from the horses mouth" as such. I do know that it makes really good beer. It does *not* use any hop shots, it has a FWH of 2oz of whole leaf cascade instead. It's a good bit different then the Northern recipe. Has 12oz of hops total if I remember right.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Banjo-guy wrote:Its amazing how fast I forgot some of the basic procedures of brewing when I came off of my 4 month break.

I've got an Austin Homebrew Supply Pliny Kit dry hopping right now. I'm not too optimistic about it being like the original because the Zymatic is very different when using hops.
This is a good read.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

I am always leary of the word 'clone'. A true clone is more than recipe. It is process, pitching rate, etc. Ask 5 people to draw a horse and you'll get 5 horse pictures. None will be identical even though they might have identical ingredients.

Just aim for good beer and anything close to the commercial version should be considered a success.
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

mashani wrote:
Banjo-guy wrote:Does anyone know it there is a dead on clone recipe of Pliny then Elder?
I don't know if its a dead on clone because I think the recipe has changed slightly over time, and I honestly have never had a fresh bottle of the real thing - but the kit that MoreBeer sells is a scaled down version of the original recipe that Vinnie Cilurzo gave them. So it's "straight from the horses mouth" as such. I do know that it makes really good beer. It does *not* use any hop shots, it has a FWH of 2oz of whole leaf cascade instead. It's a good bit different then the Northern recipe. Has 12oz of hops total if I remember right.
I just brewed the MoreBeer kit. It's fermenting right now. I've never tried the real thing or a clone but I'm sure the kit will make a nice hoppy IPA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

Inkleg wrote:
Banjo-guy wrote:Its amazing how fast I forgot some of the basic procedures of brewing when I came off of my 4 month break.

This is a good read.
I remember this thread from two years ago. I'm still catching up to all of you in the hops department!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thanks Ink, good thread.
Banjo, it would be interesting to compare our results.
Never mind, there it is.
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

Sounds like a bottle swap is in order. We could meet off of exit 60 of the LIE! :) (Or some other exit.) My Pliny should be ready next week.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Great! But mine won't be ready for a few weeks yet, it's about ten days in right now. I do have some Belgian Strong, and Dubbel....
Never mind, there it is.