BrewDemon Deals

Share a deal or a steal you found with your BeerBorg buddies!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: BrewDemon Deals

Post by joechianti »

UPDATE: First of all, I noticed that there's some discussion about these expired HME's in the Brew Demon Recipe Section, so that's good, too. Anyway, I've had a chance to taste some early samples of the Pilsner and the IPA and the Nut Brown so far. I've been using one 3.75 lb can or 3 of the 1.2 lb cans for a 2.5 gallon batch, and as pointed out in the recipes thread, it's actually too malty, even for my heavy malt taste, especially since the malt is not so fresh. I think I'm going to actually order more soon, if they still have any, and I'm going to only use 2 of the small cans or 2/3 of the large cans for a 2.5 gallon batch. Also think I'll steep or mash a little fresh grain to help the flavor, plus a little lactose to help cover the extract twang. I also plan to store the cans in fridge as soon as I get them to hopefully slow down any further deterioration while they're waiting to be used, since the only way I can justify the shipping cost is to buy at least 8 batches per order, or $1 per batch in shipping. I think it's worthwhile to brew these up. Not the best beers ever, but not the worst, either. By the way, I opened up more small cans of the Nut Brown for a 2nd batch, and found no pitting in those, so that's a good sign.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I bought a bunch of these because I'm travelling more often and I thought it would be nice to be able to do some quick brew days.

I'm glad I keg. I started one on 2/27 and kegged it on 3/19 (3 weeks fermenting). I used Nottingham yeast and fermented in my basement, where temperatures are usually in the low to mid 50s during winter. I use Notty in the low to mid 50s a lot, and it's a beast, usually getting around 77-80% attenuation. And usually long before the 2 week mark.

I think I even over pitched, using the old yeast cake.

I was considering adding a beano, thhen heating to denature it, but decided to check the status first.

hooked up the picnic tap yesterday and poured enough to get a gravity reading. 1.020. That's still higher than I'd like, but it's more reasonable than 1.028.

So it clearly wasn't done at 3 weeks.

This changes things.

I was planning on adding bulk LME, but that would require a hop boil. Or maybe add some table sugar (I hate that except when I don't; this is a case where I'd hate it).

But since the gravity dropped that much, I think I'll let it ride.

If you don't have kegs, be aware that these may take longer than usual to complete fermentation.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

If it's the Stout, 1.20 is normal.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

RickBeer wrote:If it's the Stout, 1.20 is normal.
This was the pilsner. I'm OK with 1.020 and it may drop further. But at three weeks when I kegged, it was only at 1.028.

I just figured there was a lot of unfermentable sugar. Seems like there was a lot of less fermentable sugar. I'll probably continue kegging at three weeks, but I'll take a gravity reading when I tap the keg since it doesn't seem to be finishing in three weeks.
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

Just a FYI

BrewDemon is offering a BOGO Free on their 2 gallon Signature Series recipes.

Signature refills are 50% off when you buy two or more. Hurry, Sale ends Monday.

Make sure to enter the Discount Code (DADSDAY) at Check out. :beer:

https://www.brewdemon.com/refills/compl ... es-refills
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

Well, I've been continuing to brew up those expired Brew Demon HME's, and even bought more. I wasn't used to the large cans, so I was using too much and the beer was too hoppy for me, but now I basically figured out how much to use to suit my taste. All in all, it's working out pretty good. And they still have quite a bit on that closeout. I promised myself I wasn't going back to HME anymore, but I must admit, when you're busy and/or hurting, they sure do make life easy.
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewnewb »

I bought a few cans myself to make three 2 gallon batches. I have their IPA ready to go on tap and I'm fermenting the nut brown ale right now. Next up is the oatmeal stout. I like these for my small 2.5g kegs.

I bought them a few weeks ago and just leave them in the fridge until I use them.
Thirsting For Knowledge
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

brewnewb wrote:I bought a few cans myself to make three 2 gallon batches. I have their IPA ready to go on tap and I'm fermenting the nut brown ale right now. Next up is the oatmeal stout. I like these for my small 2.5g kegs.

I bought them a few weeks ago and just leave them in the fridge until I use them.
I started doing the same thing, keeping them in fridge. Seems to make good sense.