BigPapaG--Brewer Of The Month July 2016

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: BigPapaG--Brewer Of The Month July 2016

Post by MrBandGuy »

Congrats, Big Papa!
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Thanks Everyone!

I will get a post up soon with the BOTM question answers...

Family obligations have kept me from interacting at my normal pace.

Cheers!

:cool:
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

The_Professor wrote:CONGRATULATIONS TO BigPapaG JULY 2016 BREWER OF THE MONTH!

Yes, a careful count of all the hanging chads show that BigPapaG is our BOTM this month!

No doubt some of the controversy can be cleared up with these interview questions:
1) When did you start brewing and how did you become interested?
2) Who would you most like to share a beer with?
3) What is your favorite beer?
4) Do you have a beer recipe you'd like to share?
Sorry it has taken so long for me to draft this post... Unfortunately, both family obligations and subsequently my own health issues have delayed me once again...

None the less, I am now able to, so here goes... :)

First, let me say thanks for electing me and bestowing upon me this great honor!

On to the answers!

1) it was over 20 years ago when I began 'fermenting'... Wine. Did that for quite a while before giving up to raise our family. It was nearly 15 years ago when I was gifted a bag-like brew system that I used once... Surprisingly, it made beer, and it was drinkable! Sadly though, it neither informed me nor removed the mystery of what was actually fermented in the process of making beer. For the moment, fermentation remained in the domain of wine and cider. In 2010, my youngest son gave me a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas... What a mistake that was... With that one simple gift, he had created a monster! I immediately became assimilated and have been Borg ever since!

2) Having been B.O.M. for October 2011 (on a/the previous forum), I had to answer this question then and will answer it the same way now... My Dad... No longer having that option (although I was able to share wine and my bag brew attempt with him), I continue to share with family and friends. I will however, add to that as I would like very much to live long enough to meet up with a bunch of fellow Borg in Ashville or wherever to share beers and stories with the likes of the kilt crowd and others, so many others, new and old!

3) Mine... Well, most of the time... Sometimes others... There are some great local breweries around me that have very good young head brewers that are making some very good beer. Several are within walking distance from me and at least one is dog friendly... That makes for a great dog walking session for me and my pal!

4) Man, this is a tough one... So many styles and recipies... Many I have shared already in various threads and under the recipe sections on this board. Let me dig up a really good one and either edit this post later or add it as a separate post later in this thread.

Also, I have received and do cherish the B.O.T.M. 'Award' that will soon be packaged up and shipped off to the next Brewer of the Month!

Here's a pic of it in the middle of some good company at my brewhouse:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (114.33 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
And here's a pic showing the addition of the BigPapaG trinket which now becomes a part of this cool award: ( I wanted to add something that I could write on, something that represented my great city here in W.N.Y. and something that represented the renewed growth of the beer industry here and Flying Bison was the brewery responsible for that renewed growth!... And it opens beer bottles! )
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (96.48 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
Cheers!

:cool:
Last edited by BigPapaG on Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

Great answers and pics, BigPapaG!
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

What great reading first thing this morning BigPapaG!
Would love to enjoy a cold one with you while seated at the kilted table.
Very impressive array of brewing bling too!!!
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Nice responses. I love reading the answers to these questions. It really gives me a chance to get to know the people on this Borg better.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

A very inspiring post BigPapaG thank you for sharing. When you and I collaborated on our RedX IPA, I could tell by the excitement in your voice, how passionate about brewing your are. I hope that you're feeling better and are well enough to resume your normal brewing schedule.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Inkleg wrote:What great reading first thing this morning BigPapaG!
Would love to enjoy a cold one with you while seated at the kilted table.
Very impressive array of brewing bling too!!!
^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^
Glad the BOTM Award arrived safely! Would love to have you at one of our get together's. Very much enjoyed the places we hit when we were in your area, Flying Bison was in the process of moving, but we did hit up Resurgence where we sat for about a half hour with the brewer named Dave there and talked about brewing, CBW, First Ward, and Woodcock Bros.
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013