Quick Ferment?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

RandyG
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Re: Quick Ferment?

Post by RandyG »

Si Senor Sombrero, for the most part I follow the 3 wk fermentation,4 wk bottle conditioning,and several days in the fridge before 1st pour. Then noting my sucess or failure, I put them back for longer conditioning. I do not have a hydrometer.My last brewing semester was lacking in the "Fun" part of the hobby,and became more like work. I was in a constant rush to create a pipeline,which I did,but it took alot of the fun out of brewing. I now have about 1 case left,and am trying to get the Ol' juices flowing again for an Autumn Brewing semester,but who knows.That's why I asked about mini-keg carbing. Small batch brewing,only every so often. No pipeline demands.I'm the only consumer here,and am not a big drinker,so in between batches I can try some craft beers from local brewpubs.Thanks for your communication. :)
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Three weeks should be adequate for complete fermentation, and I really only check the gravity a day before bottling/kegging to make sure and to get an accurate ABV.

For bottle conditioning, most beers should be fine after four weeks in the bottle, although some will definitely improve with longer aging.

But for the low cost, a hydrometer is well worth it. To me, it's also part of the "fun" part of brewing. I get to check my efficiency, my consistency from batch to batch, and it tells me where I might be able to improve my process, which may seem like to work to some, but it adds to my fascination and enjoyment, during the planning, execution, and enjoying of each recipe.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Old Smokey Amber Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
100 Years War IPA -- Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Well, finally brewed today. Spent the week at a wake and funeral, as well as other errands of mercy.
Used an extract+grains kit, modified. 6#LME, 1# caravienne, 1oz chinook@20, .25oz each columbus and centennial@10, .5oz each@0. Gravity 1.041, cooling now in the "new" ferm fridge. I'll probably keg it in a week. We shall see.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.