So who is buying Mr. Beer Fall Seasonal?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bucknut
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Re: So who is buying Mr. Beer Fall Seasonal?

Post by bucknut »

Got the spring seasonal White ipa and wasn't impressed at all. I felt like it really fell short of the description and so I'd just rather make an ag brew, choosing my own ingredients.
tomtravelino

Post by tomtravelino »

I am taking a pass as well. I instead decided to get the Nut Brown kit from NB and just brewed it up thix past weekend. For $25 and it is a 5 gallon batch seemed like the better deal to me. Not to mention I maximized my shipping by picking up a few extra things.
BrownstotheBone
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by BrownstotheBone »

I have Bewitched Amber Ale cold crashing tonight for a weekend bottling.

But I still have 2 that I bought back when I had my sign-up bonus + their 20% sale. (I killed, I was able to use both) so I got Downtown Amber Ale & Patriot's pride.

Then I'm officially out of extract.

After that, because I will only be on my 6th batch (newbie), I will probably purchase a conical and a few new flavors from Brew Demon. (especially if I secure a fridge in the next coming week/s)

I just like their style. From fermenters to customer relations. Not saying I'll never buy again from Mr.BEER. It just might be a while. :evil:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote:To be fair, I did like many of the previous seasonals - especially the Maibock.
I really liked the dubbel too.

But both that Dubbel and the Maibock would now fall under "Brew Demon" seasonals if Brew Demon ever decides to do them again. Do you hear that Brew Demon? I will buy them if you make them and they are as good as the old.

I do like the summer Saison. It was worth it to me to buy it to get more packs of Bella Saison to use to make other stuff with too, since half a pack was all that was really needed for it, and I'd have had to order the yeast online from somewhere else and pay extra shipping (And Northern Brewer shipping officially sucks now).

With high quality they are worth price to me, as I've said before time is money too, and in a time pinch having a 45 minute brew day to make something to fill the pipeline is worth something. But the quality needs to be there.
Last edited by mashani on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DirtRacer
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by DirtRacer »

With these current Mr.B refills being less than impressive to me, I wasn't planning on getting any of the seasonals but I was interested in it because of it being a nut brown ale but I just got one from BrewDemon instead.
Good judgment comes from experience, which comes from poor judgment.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Nope. Done with Mr. Beer refills. Likely only extract recipes after inventory is gone.

This has nothing to do with what they did with their forum. I bought last August and then again in September, stocking up on the closeouts the second time. I have no need for cans of HME any longer, I plan on doing extract recipes and then possibly going on to the next step. Cheaper, and more satisfying doing a recipe.
Last edited by RickBeer on Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Rayyankee
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Rayyankee »

I have no plans to but the seasonals from MRB. I had bought the old ones beefore the buy out and they were all quite tasty and great for the time spent on brew day. But since the take over have not been impressed with the taste of the few i bought and for the money would rather go all grain or PM for more then half the price and twice the amount of beer.
russki
Russki
Russki

Post by russki »

The only seasonal I have tried was the English Strong Ale, and what a disappointment that was. Weird bitterness (not hop bitterness), none of the toasty malty flavor you want in an English Strong Ale, just plain bad. I still have half a case of it; the only reason it has not been dumped yet is that I have plenty of empty bottles.
In Soviet Russia, beer brews you!
My brews
Fermenting:
Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat (5-gal)(AG)
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
Flanders Red (5-gal)(AG) x 2
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
rickbray66
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by rickbray66 »

The only seasonal I was able to take part in was the White IPA, and that wasn't for me. I did not get in on the Summer Seasonal and doubt I will for the Fall Seasonal either. I liked all four of the Craft Series, so I can see myself getting more of those. They are also carried by my LHBS, so I will most likely get them there if I do decide to get some more. I do agree that the time savings is worth a little extra.

Rick
Trollby
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Trollby »

I liked the White IPA but it was HUGE miss-label.

The White IPA was just a slight hoppy Belgian Wit if you ask me, I have 2 cans left and I am going to make it and call Belgian Wit which it really is.

I also thought it would make a nice Dubbel since adding some Belgian Amber (Belgian Munich) malt that
Imparts a malty flavor and aroma as well as an orange/amber hue to beer. Has enough diastatic power to convert itself.
CyberCop Brewery
LBK #1
LBK #2 -
LBK #3 (GF)
LBK #4 -
Pilot Keg

Drinking:
The Jen Stout
Belgian Dubbel
Blueberry Pomegranate Mead
Linda's Hard Cider
Lemon Wine (Hard Lemonade)
RCE - Bock

Conditioning:
DoppelWine
Blueberry Mead
NW3C-IPA
Brew #62 Lawn-Mower Pilsner
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The White IPA I turned into 4.8 gallons of Saison is pretty good. It fit the label better that way, made 2x as much beer for only a few bucks more to pay for the DME and hops I added. And I pitched 2 other more from scratch saisons on those yeast cakes.
frogmeat69

Post by frogmeat69 »

mashani wrote:
Kealia wrote:To be fair, I did like many of the previous seasonals - especially the Maibock.
I really liked the dubbel too.

But both that Dubbel and the Maibock would now fall under "Brew Demon" seasonals if Brew Demon ever decides to do them again. Do you hear that Brew Demon? I will buy them if you make them and they are as good as the old.
OMG, yes Brew Demon, if you have any thought or intention of doing a past seasonal from the old Mr. B days, the Dubbel would be AWESOME!!! That was the best beer I ever made from an extract kit, it was fantastic. Hell, I'll even buy a new conical from you just to brew it, it was that good to me!