Question for those who converted refrigerators

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Question for those who converted refrigerators

Post by Brewbirds »

I'm back. :lol:

Okay so after I got it emptied, unplugged and took the back cover off the sound is definitely coming from the relay/capacitor on the compressor. I found a good video for replacing it and know where to get the parts and I feel I can handle the DIY.

BUT I decided while it was unplugged I would take the panel off of the evaporator for a look-see and sure enough it was iced up so now I don't know which problem came first.

Does anybody know if the relay/capacitor issue would cause the icing? Oh and the it was still cooling/freezing though probably only because I caught it in time.

I think I would have to remove the housing for the ice machine to check the evaporator fan. And I saw that it could be the thermostat control but it seems odd to have both problems at the same time.

Any advise or links greatly appreciated. Edit: as I won't have any cold beer until I fix it. :(
Sibling Brewers
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Brewbirds wrote:...as I won't have any cold beer until I fix it. :(
Click all three together!

HOLY CRAP! No cold beer? What the H*&@ is the matter with you? Throw out the beef, throw out the pork, throw out the chicken, the milk, the eggs!

I don't know what it would be, sorry. I believe that if there is low refrigerant that things freeze up, and that if the defrost cycle doesn't work properly things freeze up, but as to what comes first, don't know.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I hoped that would get the :borg: 's attention.

I emptied all the spent grain I've been saving for catfishing out of the other S by S freezer and put hops, grain and water bottles in there.

But I need the space in that S by S fridge for cold crashing so I put the ready beer in a cooler with some frozen water bottles.

We are on our second pours now just in case they won't stay cold enough so my spelling may get iffy later. :lol:

I've just posted on an appliance forum so hopefully I will get an answer so I can order parts soon and hopefully any thermostat evaporator fan etc. issues will be as easy as the other.

Did I remember to say hopefully. :sweat:

I wish BigFloyd would have come over, he seemed to know a lot about refrigeration stuff.
Sibling Brewers
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

Brewbirds wrote:I'm back. :lol:

Okay so after I got it emptied, unplugged and took the back cover off the sound is definitely coming from the relay/capacitor on the compressor. I found a good video for replacing it and know where to get the parts and I feel I can handle the DIY.

BUT I decided while it was unplugged I would take the panel off of the evaporator for a look-see and sure enough it was iced up so now I don't know which problem came first.

Does anybody know if the relay/capacitor issue would cause the icing? Oh and the it was still cooling/freezing though probably only because I caught it in time.

I think I would have to remove the housing for the ice machine to check the evaporator fan. And I saw that it could be the thermostat control but it seems odd to have both problems at the same time.

Any advise or links greatly appreciated. Edit: as I won't have any cold beer until I fix it. :(
freeze? no, the compressor won't be able to run long enough to cool much less freeze. you replace it with one of these;

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SUPCO- ... -Kit-4E238

but like RickBeer said, low coolant will cause it to freeze up(weird huh?)
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe