I deserve a homebrew because....

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: I deserve a homebrew because....

Post by John Sand »

Alb, sorry that I live too far to help.
Rabbit, I hung a new dining room light on Friday, removing the old ceiling fan first. It was one of the few times in this old house that I replaced something which was properly installed. But the Mrs stayed clear.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I deserve a HB because: I was put in my place today, humorously. Our yacht club is a working club. Today we had a work party to repair winter damage. An old steam-fitter drove me to his house to pick up a drill press. It was a large tool, with an iron stand and bed. When it came time to load it, I joked: "I thought you guys invited me to work parties for my charm and intelligence." He replied: "Yeah, you're using them right now. Pick up that drill press."
It did make me laugh. Then I picked up the drill press. We didn't even get the standard two beers with lunch, cause we kept working after. I did have a beer as soon as I got home though.
Never mind, there it is.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Good story, John!

I'm glad this thread is still alive and kicking. It gets buried a little now and then, but then gets resurrected (well, it IS Easter weekend...) and I like to see what people are doing that deserves a homebrew.

Me, I got a lot done today, including having two contractors come in and take a look at the horrible state of our bathroom and promise to give us estimates on a complete renovation. We've been talking about this for years, and now we're finally going to get this done. It's long overdue. Both SWMBO and I hate this kind of ordeal, which is one reason why we've put it off this long. But no longer. It's going to get done this year, and today was the first step in the process.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Taxes done (yeah!), refund coming (boo, overpaid estimated taxes giving IRS and state free loans). Once SWMBO signs the state return (I refuse to pay to E-File), seal the envelope and we're good to go.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

You have to pay to e-file? Ouch. We had our refund within a week of e-filing. If i owed I would do it via check. I'll take their money fast but just like them I will make them wait for it if i have to pay them :)
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

There are very few states that offer free E-file, while the IRS does. If you're paying someone to do your taxes, you're not getting "free" e-file. I do them myself.

I don't mail checks to the government, when you do your taxes you can authorize a withdrawal. For estimated payments, the IRS and many states offer e-payment, so the funds don't come out until the due date.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Wish I got a refund. I never seem to although I take more out of my check than I need to, make less money than I have in a few years and seem to pay taxes out the wazoo. I owe $1100 this year! Fark me!
I need to quit working and sit on the side of the street with a sign, a cup and a free government phone.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I'd rather owe. Most years I do. Put the money to work in the market instead of giving it to the IRS or the state. But as a self-employed person, I need to withhold my own taxes, so it's usually safest to just do 100% of last year. If you make more, you owe, if you make less, you get a refund.

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

...I drove SWMBO down to New York City so she could go to our daughter's bridal tea, and then I drove daughter with all her gifts and goodies to Brooklyn and helped her unload all those gifts and goodies. My entire afternoon/evening was spent being a chauffeur/pack mule.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

FedoraDave wrote:My entire afternoon/evening was spent being a chauffeur/pack mule.
And your point is what? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

RickBeer wrote:
FedoraDave wrote:My entire afternoon/evening was spent being a chauffeur/pack mule.
And your point is what? :lol: :lol: :lol:
My point is it's a good reason to drink homebrew. I'm not seeing a problem with this.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

Because I spent Saturday cleaning my garage and it looks great. The Mrs. threw her back out again last weekend which meant a week of carrying the extra load and doing projects this weekend without much of her help. I may need a few hours at the brewery to help wind down!
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

D_Rabbit wrote:Because I spent Saturday cleaning my garage and it looks great. The Mrs. threw her back out again last weekend which meant a week of carrying the extra load and doing projects this weekend without much of her help. I may need a few hours at the brewery to help wind down!
That's one of the things you do when you're a helpmeet. I hope your bride feels better soon, and I also hope you get some "Dan Time" this weekend. That's just as important as being a mensch.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Because I jury rigged and safely deployed a davit to hoist my dinghy onto my car. The parts are a basketball hoop, 10' 4x4, one block (pulley) and some line. The block on one end of the 4x4 sticks through the hoop, and is lashed to the base. The dinghy was raised, the car pulled beneath, nothing was damaged. Next time I'll use two blocks for better mechanical advantage.
Never mind, there it is.
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

John Sand wrote:Because I jury rigged and safely deployed a davit to hoist my dinghy onto my car. The parts are a basketball hoop, 10' 4x4, one block (pulley) and some line. The block on one end of the 4x4 sticks through the hoop, and is lashed to the base. The dinghy was raised, the car pulled beneath, nothing was damaged. Next time I'll use two blocks for better mechanical advantage.
I'm confused by this so I will just say this allows me to have a homebrew too :)
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged