Monumental Change

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

rickbray66
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Re: Monumental Change

Post by rickbray66 »

Chuck N wrote:
Brewbirds wrote:I've lived in Texas for years Joe, I thought biscuits and gravy WAS a vegetable. :oops: :lol:
No kidding! I'll bet that if you looked deep enough you'd find a county or two in Texas that has a law on the book that says it's illegal NOT to eat biscuits and gravy. :D
Or a "Frederick's of Luckenbach" that has edible undies that taste like biscuits and gravy.

Rick
whynot

Post by whynot »

Gout is no fun. The Aleve / water works until it doesn't... Wish you the best Joe!
bucknut
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by bucknut »

I tell you a little trick I use to eat more fruits and veggies, I'll tell myself It's time for my meds and I'll eat a piece of fruit. I'll try and make sure to have at least 4 or 5 "meds" a day, been doing that for over a year now and it's helped me lower my weight and my cholesterol. I've NEVER been a big fan of eating fruit, but the alternative was going on statin drugs and I thought to myself....hmmmmm drugs or fruit, FRUIT.
duff
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by duff »

Good luck.

I'd like to see you around the forums as long as possible.
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

duff wrote:Good luck.

Thanks. I'd like to see me around awhile, too. I'm doing pretty good with the diet so far. Next comes a little exercise. The scariest thing for me right now is an aneurysm in the largest artery from heart to leg, somewhere in my abdominal cavity. They spotted that while looking for the kidney stones. Got an appointment with family doctor soon. Gonna try to talk them into putting a stint in there since I keep hearing if it pops, you're dead within a minute. But if worse comes to worst, I am keeping the life insurance paid up to date.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Good luck with that joe!! I hope the doc gets that stint in for your or whatever they can do to control/cure it. Your in my prayers!
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Hope all goes well at the Doc's Joe. Probably shouldn't start an exercise routine until they get the aneurysm thing fixed.

Glad you are keeping us posted and know we are all rooting for you to get feeling better.
Sibling Brewers
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Joe, you'll be fine. That is, unless they send you to a shrink. Then, well then...

I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

joechianti wrote:
duff wrote:Good luck.

Thanks. I'd like to see me around awhile, too. I'm doing pretty good with the diet so far. Next comes a little exercise. The scariest thing for me right now is an aneurysm in the largest artery from heart to leg, somewhere in my abdominal cavity. They spotted that while looking for the kidney stones. Got an appointment with family doctor soon. Gonna try to talk them into putting a stint in there since I keep hearing if it pops, you're dead within a minute. But if worse comes to worst, I am keeping the life insurance paid up to date.
Joe,

My Dad has had an abdominal aneurysm for going on ten years now. He'll be ninety next June. When they found it it was the size of a golf ball and would have blown with a good jar (like jumping down from a truck bed). And you're right; When it ruptures you've got about thirty seconds to say your good-byes.

But he got a stint put in and it's been just fine all these years. He's slowed down quite a bit - hey, he's 89 years-old - but he still goes dancing with his "girl-friend" and, although he swears he won't be out there, I and my brother fully expect to see him out deer hunting with us next week.

Get the stint, take care of yourself and stick around. There's a lot of us who would miss you.
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

Thanks. I'll be pushing for that stint unless they can convince me it's not advanced enough to require it yet. I was surprised to learn that the abdominal aorta artery is about an inch in diameter(2.5cm). They say you don't need the stint until it reaches 4.5 cm (1 3/4"). I ain't gonna just let this one get away from me. After decades of not caring, I finally feel like life is worth living again. Would be a shame to go now.

[edit] - BTW, I've been reading like crazy about the best dietary steps to take for blood pressure, the heart, kidney stones, gout, arthritis, and more. We all know that alcohol is good for our health up to one or two drinks a day and then bad for our health after that. (So they say). But I just found out that because of the minerals in beer, it's even worse than whiskey for gout, kidney stones and arthritis. And wine is the best of all three of them.

Anyway, I'm slowing down on the whiskey and beer, and as soon as I get my bearings, I plan to start up making more wine. Maybe we'll get that wine section of this forum perking up a little more.
Last edited by joechianti on Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

Good on you Joe, life is worth living, even in the darkest of times. The sun always rises.....sometimes it takes longer. Best of luck..
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

Props to you for making the tough -- but correct -- choices, Joe.
I'm no expert on most of the subjects discussed here, but here's two cents that you can take or leave:

Get a juicer.

For years, I resolved to eat more vegetables, and never followed through on it. This year, I finally decided to get those nutrients another way -- by juicing. You don't have to like the taste of veggies, or find ways to cook 'em. Just buy 'em, toss 'em in the juicer, and drink up. One good-sized glass and you've got all the servings of vegetables you would need in a whole day. Mix some fruit in the juicing session for taste, and it's actually not that bad going down.

It's not the cure-all for everything that ails humanity, but it's a definite step in the right direction.

Just some food (pun intended) for thought!

Whatever you do - best of luck to you.
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

Hey Joe, (Why does a song pop into my head when I type that? :lol: )

Both LOML and I love wine. And one of our favorite summer activities is to get in the Jeep and go "winery touring". We'll pick out a part of Minnesota we want to go to and visit the wineries in the region.

Now I know Texas is a tad bit bigger than Minnesota but it looks as though you got a whole lot more wineries to visit too. Plus you don't have to stop "touring" because it's -20 below zero either.:p Here's a link to a web site of Texas wineries:

http://www.gotexanwine.org/findwinesandwineries/

Just tryin' to help.
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

Crazy Climber wrote:Props to you for making the tough -- but correct -- choices, Joe.
I'm no expert on most of the subjects discussed here, but here's two cents that you can take or leave:

Get a juicer.

For years, I resolved to eat more vegetables, and never followed through on it. This year, I finally decided to get those nutrients another way -- by juicing. You don't have to like the taste of veggies, or find ways to cook 'em. Just buy 'em, toss 'em in the juicer, and drink up. One good-sized glass and you've got all the servings of vegetables you would need in a whole day. Mix some fruit in the juicing session for taste, and it's actually not that bad going down.

It's not the cure-all for everything that ails humanity, but it's a definite step in the right direction.

Just some food (pun intended) for thought!

Whatever you do - best of luck to you.
I also highly recommend the juicer. I typically have a glass of fresh juice daily. If you don't enjoy the taste of your juice, add an apple; always makes any juice delicious.
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

Good idea. I actually do have a good standard juicer. I love the juices it makes, but don't use it very often for 2 reasons, I'm afraid. One is that it takes like 5 pounds of produce to make a couple glasses of juice, and then you have a quart of pulp going to waste. I always say I'll use the pulp to bake muffins or sweet bread, but never have the time at the right moment. Secondly, all that wasted pulp includes all that wonderful fiber you lose the benefit of. I agree, getting the nutrients in the juice without the fiber is better than getting neither one at all, but it sure gets expensive. I wish I could afford a juicer that liquefies every bit of the produce so there's no waste at all, but those are way more expensive. As I slowly shift my lifestyle to healthier methods, I'm sure that juicer will gradually work it's way back into my routine to some extent.