Fermentation length.

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Shermie

Re: Fermentation length.

Post by Shermie »

petts5354 wrote:I have a wheat beer that was very active in the initial fermentation. It has calmed down now (about 5 days in).

I would like opinions as to how long fermentation should be and what the reasoning behind the opinion is. In researching here and on other boards it seems like I got a lot of opinions but not the reason behind the opinion.

2 weeks?
3 weeks?
4 weeks?

Also....I have read that when a brewing experiment goes bad a long bottle conditioning might fix it. Does a long fermentation have a similar effect?

Thanks.

I found out that some fermentation lengths take longer than others. :huh:
Because nobody likes flat beer!!
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Re: Fermentation length.

Post by FedoraDave »

Shermie wrote:
petts5354 wrote:I have a wheat beer that was very active in the initial fermentation. It has calmed down now (about 5 days in).

I would like opinions as to how long fermentation should be and what the reasoning behind the opinion is. In researching here and on other boards it seems like I got a lot of opinions but not the reason behind the opinion.

2 weeks?
3 weeks?
4 weeks?

Also....I have read that when a brewing experiment goes bad a long bottle conditioning might fix it. Does a long fermentation have a similar effect?

Thanks.

I found out that some fermentation lengths take longer than others. :huh:
True. There's not a really hard and fast rule, although many of us go 3 weeks. There are many variables, though, and every batch is different. The best way to judge is to go by the Specific Gravity, and for that you need a hydrometer. Can't recommend the purchase of a hydrometer strongly enough. Less than ten bucks, and an invaluable homebrewing tool.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer