Brewer of the Month

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: Brewer of the Month

Post by Whamolagan »

bpgreen wrote:
LouieMacGoo wrote:
Whamolagan wrote:I am with bp on not sending beer. I don't bottle so no one would get a homebrew from me. As for the recipe, I feel that could get lost in translation. What happens that it comes down to the person that has to brew the recipe say only does hme brewing. or doesn't live close to a supply house. This thing was just something to see how far it could go without being difficult, or expensive. I feel it needs to stay simple. My 1 cents worth
I agree, let's just keep it simple with the mini mash paddle and maybe a BeerBorg trinket of some kind. If people want to do something or send something extra with it then that would be on them for now. Nothing is set in stone and we can always re-visit it if enough people want to make "upgrades or improvements" to the process.

Just out of curiosity was there any criteria that was being used for nominations for the BOTM?
A member could only nominate at most two people, but could second any number.

If you were BOM you couldn't repeat until a year passed.

There may have been other rules, but those are two that I remember.
You could nominate one and second another. As for a recipe, maybe have a thread that the BOTM would add his ingredient and it could only be accessed by the BOTM and previous BOTMs. Then at the end of 12 months it could be unveiled. Just throwing it out there
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I don't have a lot of constructive input to add to this thread other then thinking it's a good idea to get this going here. Some of the old MB forum members will remember that we got tired of who MB was picking for the BOM and we started our own and called it MOM, Member Of the Month. We had fun with that. I say go for it..........
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

bpgreen wrote:
LouieMacGoo wrote:
Whamolagan wrote:I am with bp on not sending beer. I don't bottle so no one would get a homebrew from me. As for the recipe, I feel that could get lost in translation. What happens that it comes down to the person that has to brew the recipe say only does hme brewing. or doesn't live close to a supply house. This thing was just something to see how far it could go without being difficult, or expensive. I feel it needs to stay simple. My 1 cents worth
I agree, let's just keep it simple with the mini mash paddle and maybe a BeerBorg trinket of some kind. If people want to do something or send something extra with it then that would be on them for now. Nothing is set in stone and we can always re-visit it if enough people want to make "upgrades or improvements" to the process.

Just out of curiosity was there any criteria that was being used for nominations for the BOTM?
A member could only nominate at most two people, but could second any number.

If you were BOM you couldn't repeat until a year passed.

There may have been other rules, but those are two that I remember.
Generally, only MrBeerFans usernames could be nominated for Brewer Of The Month. I allowed a couple of exceptions, the Infamous Horse Bottle Opener, and oddly enough Mr. Beer (the company) was nominated once.

The ones BP mentions.

For a while nominees were creating "campaign videos" and sometimes would just post a stump speech. It was asked that these were posted in a "Propaganda" forum and spamming the forum with "vote for me" was frowned on.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

Thanks for the support berry
JimH
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by JimH »

berryman wrote:I don't have a lot of constructive input to add to this thread other then thinking it's a good idea to get this going here. Some of the old MB forum members will remember that we got tired of who MB was picking for the BOM and we started our own and called it MOM, Member Of the Month. We had fun with that. I say go for it..........
I remember the MOM threads! It was a great way to acknowledge those that contributed to the knowledge of others. I also vaguely remember a Noob of the month thread, and possibly being a winner, possibly co winner with brewbirds? Also the last winner? Anyone know if I am crazy.

I also am in favor of keepinh the old paddle and adding a borg flair. It keeps a tradition alive for the MBF people, and ties us in here, much like adopting my wife's holiday traditions, but we made it our own, and since we are a family here that analogy fits.

My 2 cents on the recipe is thatbwe have tried some threads before, and i dont remember too many recipes coming together that were very good, but we can try it!
Jimbo Homebrew Co.
----------------------------------------
Drinking:
Keg1:
Keg2:
Keg3:
Bottled:
Nothing!
Fermenting:
Fermenter 1 (5 Gal Bucket): Empty :(
Fermenter 2 (1 gal.): Empty :(

On Deck:
Something?!
Frosty
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Frosty »

haha Oh yeah, we actually had some pretty fierce competitions a while back. I remember once where I was lobbying for Mami and I made videos, graphics and the like. It was all in fun of course, but it got to the point where Mami finally sent me a PM asking to lay off. I'm pretty sure I'm one of the reasons that the Prof relegated campaign propaganda to it's own sub thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPETgccptsU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3_WuAXRRg

For the record, Mami won, and sent me some beer (which was totally unnecessary). He would have won soon enough anyway. Good times.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

JimH wrote:. I also vaguely remember a Noob of the month thread, and possibly being a winner, possibly co winner with brewbirds? Also the last winner? Anyone know if I am crazy

Yup JH you are right. My short term memory is bad (don't remember what I did yesterday) but do remember what you said now.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

Oh dear God, what can of worms have we opened up? [emoji38]
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Frosty wrote:haha Oh yeah, we actually had some pretty fierce competitions a while back. I remember once where I was lobbying for Mami and I made videos, graphics and the like. It was all in fun of course, but it got to the point where Mami finally sent me a PM asking to lay off. I'm pretty sure I'm one of the reasons that the Prof relegated campaign propaganda to it's own sub thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPETgccptsU
Frosty, that vid is just not right, I had to watch it ten times, but still undecided. :)
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

Frosty wrote:...I'm pretty sure I'm one of the reasons that the Prof relegated campaign propaganda to it's own sub thread...
That could be true Frosty, but not in the way you may think.
People keeping stuff in a single post seemed kosher while people breaking into other threads saying "vote for me" did not.
So yeah, the Propaganda forum was created so people could do the kosher stuff while the not kosher stuff was kept off the forum.
Frosty
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Frosty »

Ha, thanks barryman. It was certainly supposed to be a bit "off". There're also a few inside jokes in there. Like the "big ol' gunky" thing. That was Mammy's (aka Mamiata) default, sarcastic insult for everyone.. And, I can't remember why we were saying his dog is gay, but that was a thing.

I'd also like to point out that the music in those videos^ is my cover of the Perfect Strangers theme song, in case no one caught that.

Prof, yeah, it was myself and a member named USMC on mbf who were going nuts that month, posting propaganda all over the forum. He was lobbying for Pudge, I believe, and me for Mammy. You didn't say anything at the time, but I remember the following month or so, other members were campaigning throughout the forum as well. Then, you started the Propaganda thread. So, I like to think I helped to start the madnesses. :cool:
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

I hadn't seen that video. Wow frosty
Frosty
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Frosty »

Whamolagan wrote:I hadn't seen that video. Wow frosty
I'm going to take that as a compliment.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

It was a compliment.....I think
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

The award should arrive for the Horse to enjoy this week. I shipped it on Friday!