Enjoy By (All editions)

Provide a review, whether it's from another Borg member or a commercial beer that you really like, this is the place to share! Cheers!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Re: Enjoy By (All editions)

Post by Beer-lord »

I grabbed a few 4/20/16's last night and will try one tonite.
I agree a bit with Roger that maybe my palette is changing like the seasons. Now that Ghost is coming out almost every 6 weeks, I'm not wowed as much by EB like I use to and also wonder if they continue to change things up.
I've never gotten any alcohol on these beers so I'm interested in seeing what I get out of these. I think mine were bottled on 3/19 so it's fresh.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

3/19??? Dude, that was like.....11 days ago! :p

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on this release, too.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

In all seriousness, my kegged beers are best 4-6 weeks after they've been in the keg. Even my IPAs aren't as good the first 3 weeks though the aroma is peak that soon.
RedBEERd routinely keeps an EB to drink on or right after the due date and we have noticed some differences, of course, but they have always been very good even after the date.
I once kept a Ruin Ten (that is only a few months away too) that was 2 months old and it changed very much. Drinkable yes but a totally different beer.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Once again last night we had lots of good beer choices but this Enjoy By was very good. Certainly not the best but definitely good. Tons of mango/pineapple on the nose and some lingering onto the first taste. I got no boozy or alcohol from it at all.
I'm glad I grabbed another one to enjoy soon.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
RedBEERd
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by RedBEERd »

I didn't get the alcohol at all and I thought this batch was very good. I still think the very best one was 4/20/14 but this one is very worthy of enjoying....and I plan to get more this weekend if there are still some available.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Maybe I've been drinking too many session IPAs lately and this just seemed really rich and "hot" to me in comparison.
Who knows. Glad you guys enjoyed it.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Dude, the twins are NEVER wrong!
I didn't get rich, but again, tons of mango and pineapple. But, as I very much like this kind of beer, I understand that we all have our favs and beers that make our taste buds happy. EB, even at its worst, is simply a beer I enjoy a lot. Like many of the Stone ilk, it's not everyone's kind of beer.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Beer-lord wrote:Dude, the twins are NEVER wrong!... ...Like many of the Stone ilk, it's not everyone's kind of beer.
Sure... Make like we're not WORTHY enough to enjoy it.... So you can keep it all to your self...

:razz:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I like the hop flavors and aroma of Enjoy By quite much. I just think they could do that beer as something 1.070 or < with *just as much flavor and aroma* and it would actually be a much better beer. It just has too much noticeable booze vs. the hop bang for me. I find the alcohol distracting. At least in every one I've tried so far. I've made 1.064 and 1.066 beers with Pliny levels of hops. I don't find those too bitter. It's not the bitter that bugs me, it's the booze. (I think that would be what Kealia is describing as "hot").
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I couldn't agree with you more Mashani. And it's the biggest reason that I really hesitate to buy these anymore.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I can't say I've ever noticed the booze but then again, I drink a lot of DIPA's so maybe I'm use to it. I think it's very well balanced (most versions of it anyway) and much like Ruin Ten, I have to have one of these each time they come out. It's simply one of my favorite beers of all time.
A bomber is too much so we usually split one and I like the sixers though we rarely get those.
All I can say is YUMMY!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

mashani wrote:I like the hop flavors and aroma of Enjoy By quite much. I just think they could do that beer as something 1.070 or < with *just as much flavor and aroma* and it would actually be a much better beer. It just has too much noticeable booze vs. the hop bang for me. I find the alcohol distracting. At least in every one I've tried so far. I've made 1.064 and 1.066 beers with Pliny levels of hops. I don't find those too bitter. It's not the bitter that bugs me, it's the booze. (I think that would be what Kealia is describing as "hot").
Yes, that's a better description for sure. But I do think it's within the range of a typical DIPA in that sense. I rarely drink DIPA's so I'm likely not acclimated to those the way I am a solid IPA.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Beer-lord wrote:Dude, the twins are NEVER wrong!
Yes, that's a better description for sure. But I do think it's within the range of a typical DIPA in that sense. I rarely drink DIPA's so I'm likely not acclimated to those the way I am a solid IPA.
Did you guys not see my post? Let me say it again, the twins are NEVER wrong! :jumpy:
This is just another example of why I like others to taste my beer. The Borg is awesome in so many ways and if we all felt the same about all the beer we drink, this would be one boring place to visit.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

You're wrong Paul. :p
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote: Yes, that's a better description for sure. But I do think it's within the range of a typical DIPA in that sense. I rarely drink DIPA's so I'm likely not acclimated to those the way I am a solid IPA.
It is in the range although it overlaps with 3xIPAs too since it's on the higher end. Something like Pliney, which is also considered a DIPA is only 1.070, and part of that is sugar.