Back to Brewing, and Mishaps

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Re: Back to Brewing, and Mishaps

Post by FedoraDave »

Pudge wrote:I am always leary of the word 'clone'. A true clone is more than recipe. It is process, pitching rate, etc. Ask 5 people to draw a horse and you'll get 5 horse pictures. None will be identical even though they might have identical ingredients.

Just aim for good beer and anything close to the commercial version should be considered a success.
This is so true. I yoinked a recipe off of BrewToad for a Fat Tire clone, and I can't say it's exact, but it's damgud. No way can I even approximate a professional brewery's process/equipment, etc.

But it's a damgud beer, and I brew it at least once a year.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Old Smokey Amber Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
100 Years War IPA -- Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

John I've been reading this thread and I know how this works also after not brewing for a while. I brewed some beer last night, the last time I brewed was 7/26. It was late in the afternoon by the time I got started with it and things just didn't go real well. But now I'm going to do back to back and fill all my fermenters up and I know the next ones will be easier..................My saying is 'no rest until all the fermenters are filled' I have 1 6.5 big mouth bubbler, 1 6.5 ale pale, 3 5 gal carboys and a few LBK's. I'm going to be brewing about once a week now again and should be able to get back on the swing on the next one and the rest there after.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Good work Berry. I've got some brews conditioning, but only because they were unsuccessful at first. I just chilled an APA from spring, still not very good, may get dumped. I've also cut back on drinking, so I don't need to brew as often. I am planning an Irish Red, but may wait until I keg the DIPA.

Banjo, our homebrew club is meeting in Port Jeff Wednesday night, at Portside. I'll be the tall guy.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

John Sand wrote:Great! But mine won't be ready for a few weeks yet, it's about ten days in right now. I do have some Belgian Strong, and Dubbel....
I'll have a Moose Drool and a Pliny. I just Brewed an American Stout. In a few weeks I'll have another Pliny. Maybe we should wait until January. It would be great to swap a few brews.

Do you ever go to the Homebrew and Handgrenades bottle swap?. I've been meaning to check that out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I have shopped there, but it's pretty far from me. What night do they do it?
Never mind, there it is.
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

It happens one Thursday every month. I've always had something come up. Its about 40 minutes for me to get there but everything is at least 20 minutes away from where I live.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Let me know if you decide to go sometime.
Never mind, there it is.