STONE PATASKALA RED X IPA

Provide a review, whether it's from another Borg member or a commercial beer that you really like, this is the place to share! Cheers!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: STONE PATASKALA RED X IPA

Post by Kealia »

Ever since trying the first one (a whole two weeks ago) I wanted to do a side by side with my Levitation clone to see how they compared. I should have written this up last night but I was too busy drinking....so i'm going from memory.

First off, they pour almost identically in color. Levitation on the left, Pataskala on the right. The Levitation has a bit whiter head whereas the red is a tad off-white in comparison.

In terms of aroma - right out of the bottle and keg they smell pretty close to the same but 5 minutes later as these warmed up just a tad the differences kick in. As a reminder, the Levitation is Amarillo and Simcoe whereas the Pataskala also has something 'piney' to it in comparison. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, just a bit different.

Now taste - pretty different, really. The grain bill in Levitation provides a backdrop for the hops to shine through whereas the Red X brings a lot to the table in terms of flavor in the Pataskala. Mouth feel is very different, too. The Levitation is somewhat silky and rounded and the Pataskala is crisper and a bit edgier - if that makes sense. The finish is the same. Levitation is smoother and the Pataskala is sharper in comparison.

I would say that Pataskala is Levitation's big brother. Similar in appearance, minor similarities in aroma but nothing alike in taste. The grain bill in Pataskala is really meant to shine, which it does. In the end, both beers were very good and were imbibed *hic*. :clink:

Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Awesome! 2 completely different but great beers.
I've been working on a recipe with Red X but still am OCDicking around with it. Won't brew it for awhile so I've got time to go nuts about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

The grain bill in Pataskala is Red-X. They list Amarillo, Cascade, and Mosaic as the hops. Levitation uses Amarillo, Simcoe, and Crystal hops. They releasd their recipe. It is here http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2 ... tinue.html
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I'm going to use some Equinox when I brew with it and mosaic and Amarillo and others I want to get rid of.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I'm thinking that the next time I brew the Levitation I'm going to swap the grain bill over the 100% Red X malt to sort of combine the two brews.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Since I started this thread everybody will be sending me a bottle of anything they brew with Red X, right?

RIGHT?!!?!?
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Sure but the last few sent COD came back. Not sure why.

So, here's the question.....how much of the grain bill should be Red X? I've got 10 lbs so I've been playing with 2 recipes. One with only 5 lbs Red X plus 5 or so lbs 2 row with some Munich and Vienna and the other with all 10 lbs Red X and just a bit of Munich and Vienna or Aromatic. Not sure which I prefer to do. Maybe another poll is needed. :)
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I want to do 100% RedX SMaSH.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

mashani wrote:I want to do 100% RedX SMaSH.
Me too... Oh wait... I mean two...

Red X and Mosaic (or Amarillo)

Red X and E.K.G

Err... Well, maybe Red X and Saaz too...

:whistle:

:cool: