What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by Yankeedag »

Well...
that last batch was 8lbs of Amber DME, 2lbs 80, 1oz each of kent, east kent, and fuggle. I might get to drink it in Nov. or Dec. even though it will be kegged. :borg:
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

I severely over pitched specifically for the DMS concern. Furious fermentation that appeared to be nearly done a mere 18 hours after pitch. Fermenting at 54 degrees with 3 packs of Munton's ale yeast. Once it's finally done, will likely transfer it to secondary until I have a keg available (either by kicking one or buying one).

This has been one interesting brew weekend. Beer was never destined to be great (esp with that recipe), but we shall see. Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

It looks like beer. That is a good sign :)
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Just finished up with a Munich Dunkel. Should be a nice dark lager to have around over winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

BlackDuck wrote:Just finished up with a Munich Dunkel. Should be a nice dark lager to have around over winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What's winter? That doesn't start late December here. It would be finished long before our winter.
Haven't had a Munich Dunkel in months. Sounds like a good choice.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I bottled my FrankenSaison. It finished at 1.001 or there about. Even so it has this little bit of malty flavor on the finish due to the huge amount of Munich malt compared to how I'd normally make a Saison, even though it's dry and tart... which is kind of weird... IE you taste the dry and tart, but then later you get that malty thing which is unexpected when you first tasted dry and tart... but I think I will like it.

I brewed 6 gallons of SUP (straight up patersbier) using Imperial Triple Double yeast (which is Westmalle IE same as 3787/WLP530). Pilsner, Sterling hops, and the yeast, that's it.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

I Brewed a Fresh Squished IPA, a 5G Extract w/steeping grains recipe from Northern Brewer. This is one of my favorite IPA recipes, even my wife likes it. And she's kinda picky about what beer (of my homemade beers) she likes. The kitchen sure smelled good when I done brewing it and then cooling it down to get ready to pour into the fermenter.

C & P from their recipe's website..Dripping with vivid flavors, Fresh Squished is the beer equivalent of visiting your local fruit stand. Packed with quality ingredients, this mouth-watering IPA recipe kit combines tantalizing aromas of grapefruit, melon, berries, lime and passion fruit that drizzle into a faint herbal, piney background. The sturdy malt foundation of sweet crystal malts and toasty Munich unites with almost indulgent levels of Citra and Mosaic hops to achieve remarkable balance. Pale copper in color, Fresh Squished is overlaid by a fluffy, rich beige foam cap, allowing the juicy aromas to burst forth and enhance every sip.
Last edited by TonyKZ1 on Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I've done Fresh Squeezed a few times and like it a lot. Should do it again soon. However, I've found that it really changes fast. Faster than I can finish the keg. I don't use Nugget often but it must be what really gives it the nice aroma though it and Citra are a great combo. Mosaic is the cherry on top!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Brewed a 6 gallon batch of Tripel Karmelite like substance. 10# Pils, 2# malted wheat, 2# malted oats, 1/2# each of flaked rye (not in actual Karmelite, but I like it and it adds to the agrarian vibe), flaked wheat, flaked barley, a handful of rice hulls, acid malt for adjustment, and 1.5# of home made candi syrup (10 minute addition). To do it "proper" there would be a bit less malted oats, and some flaked oats, but whatever, I have lots of malted oats to use up.

I did the set it and forget it ramp up step mash in the mash & boil at 1000 watts.

This was a more thickish "regular" mash, compared to what I normally do and was sparged with 3 gallons of water to get it up to boil volume.

I actually used whirfloc which I rarely bother with.

I didn't have any Styrians, so I used Fuggles as my FWH. I don't have any Saaz, so I used Sterling as my late hop. It's going to be stupidly high ABV for me, it will likely be pushing 9.5%. So it will last for a year as a sipping beer. Probably the last Belgian of the year.

I'll use Abbaye yeast in this since it's what I got and it always makes good beer.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Bottled my straight up patersbier. I slightly under pitched and it got really hot because my AC is fried... so the amount of pear and plum and sweet apple esters the yeast produced was somewhat intense, but it will probably mellow a bit over time.

I may have bottled a fruit fly or two as well because my house is somewhat infested at the moment - so those bottles might be interesting...
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Brewed a Pale Ale today. I hadn't brewed anything since the end of July because doing all outside work mostly this summer, but rained all day and I am getting low on beer.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

mashani wrote:Brewed a 6 gallon batch of Tripel Karmelite like substance. 10# Pils, 2# malted wheat, 2# malted oats, 1/2# each of flaked rye (not in actual Karmelite, but I like it and it adds to the agrarian vibe), flaked wheat, flaked barley, a handful of rice hulls, acid malt for adjustment, and 1.5# of home made candi syrup (10 minute addition). To do it "proper" there would be a bit less malted oats, and some flaked oats, but whatever, I have lots of malted oats to use up.

I did the set it and forget it ramp up step mash in the mash & boil at 1000 watts.

This was a more thickish "regular" mash, compared to what I normally do and was sparged with 3 gallons of water to get it up to boil volume.

I actually used whirfloc which I rarely bother with.

I didn't have any Styrians, so I used Fuggles as my FWH. I don't have any Saaz, so I used Sterling as my late hop. It's going to be stupidly high ABV for me, it will likely be pushing 9.5%. So it will last for a year as a sipping beer. Probably the last Belgian of the year.

I'll use Abbaye yeast in this since it's what I got and it always makes good beer.
So it was so warm here and my AC is fried so this spent a couple of days at high krausen near 82 degrees and fermented super fast before it cooled down into the 70s again. So this finished already and I bottled it. It is totally clear, I guess between the step mash with the protein rest and the whirfloc that can happen even this quickly even with the oats and those flaked grains. This is the first time I've made this completely AG. I don't think it will be the last.

This tasted absolutely fantastic right out of the fermenter. A couple packs of very fresh (like brand spanking new with a very far out expiration date) Abbaye was a pretty good pitch rate it seems. Getting Abbaye up into the 80s at high krausen also seems to be a good thing, which I will have to remember. This is the kind of beer most places would say to cellar for 3-4 months. This will be great at 4 weeks, but I will try to keep some around for a year since it's a sipping beer.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Brewed 6 gallons of "Red Dampfbier" using RedX as the base malt (normally it would be pilsner or such) + some Dark Munich and a pinch of Special B just to give it some extra flavor (not traditional, but it will be tasty for sure).

If unfamiliar, Dampfbier is like a wheat beer without wheat, IE it uses wheat beer yeast, but regular barley malt. Back in the day, the poor farmers in the countryside couldn't afford to brew with wheat, and I think legally they really couldn't do it either... they pretty much had to sell the wheat they grew to people who would make bread and/or wheat beer for the more wealthy... but they could bum some yeast from the wheat beer making place when they dropped off their crop. So they took home said yeast, and then made beer with their cheaper barley using it.

My old German relatives who lived near the black forest in what is now Baden-Württemberg probably made a hella lot of this back in the day.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Sunday, I bottled a Fresh Squished IPA 5G Recipe from Northern Brewer. It smelled great and is probably one of our favorite IPAs, probably the only IPA that my wife will drink as the others I've made are too bitter/hoppy/ or ????. Looking forward to drinking a few.

C&P from NB, Dripping with vivid flavors, Fresh Squished is the beer equivalent of visiting your local fruit stand. Packed with quality ingredients, this mouth-watering IPA recipe kit combines tantalizing aromas of grapefruit, melon, berries, lime and passion fruit that drizzle into a faint herbal, piney background.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
Ricklust
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Ricklust »

Lager Question Oktoberfest Märzen

First time doing a Lager. After fermentation showed signs of starting...I kept in a mini fridge at 54 degrees for nearly 3 weeks S-23 yeast.
Then did a D rest for 3 days at 64 degrees. Lowered temp down to 43 and let sit for 3 more weeks. Bottled beer and now it’s sitting/conditioning for 7 days at room temp about 77 degrees.
Do I let it sit at room temp for 3 weeks and then put it back in the fridge at 60 degrees or just leave it at room temp ?
Appreciate any suggestions.
Cheers [emoji482]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Slainté ☘️