What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by bpgreen »

Brewed a batch of what will either be ABN APA, an IPA, or a DIPA depending on efficiency and attenuation.

Pekko for bittering. Mandarina Bavaria for flavor. Citra for aroma. No/slow chill. Will probably transfer to the fermenter on Tuesday.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Never heard of Pekko. I hope you have better results with Mandarina Bavaria than I did. I used a ton and got nothing noticeable from it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote:Never heard of Pekko. I hope you have better results with Mandarina Bavaria than I did. I used a ton and got nothing noticeable from it.

Yeah my experience with it was that even with a large amount it was very mellow. I would use it again if I stumbled upon some at a good price, but it would go in something like a light lager or a cream ale.

I am expecting the batch I just did with Bergamot hops to be somewhat radically the opposite based on how it smelled when I put it in the fermenter.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

I'll see if I can mange to get a brew going soon. Maybe this holiday weekend.
I have the ingredients for a sudo ancient Egyptian beer. No weird brewing methods for this version. Just 2-row with some wheat for the grain bill.
Then comes the dates. A lot of articles speculate that dates were used in ancient beers. But I read one article that mentioned dates could not have been used because no date pits were found at the site.
Now there is such a thing as date pit coffee. So obviously no date pits were found because they were also used in the beer.
So I have some Medidate coffee (made from 100% date pits) and some Date Lady date syrup that I'll add to the beer.
I'll also add a small bit of hops so it doesn't go bad too fast, maybe 5+ IBU?
Mostly interested if I can get something tasty with the date additions.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

mashani wrote:
Kealia wrote:Never heard of Pekko. I hope you have better results with Mandarina Bavaria than I did. I used a ton and got nothing noticeable from it.

Yeah my experience with it was that even with a large amount it was very mellow. I would use it again if I stumbled upon some at a good price, but it would go in something like a light lager or a cream ale.

I am expecting the batch I just did with Bergamot hops to be somewhat radically the opposite based on how it smelled when I put it in the fermenter.
Is 28c/oz a good price? These have been sitting unopened in my freezer for 2 years since the 47hops sale.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

bpgreen wrote:Is 28c/oz a good price? These have been sitting unopened in my freezer for 2 years since the 47hops sale.
I'd certainly buy them for that price yes.

I bottled my ESB, which is good because I'm running out of my other ESB.

@Professor, I have never used actual dates, but I have used over a pound of date jaggery in a dubbel and that worked well, it did add a nice flavor.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Today I brewed a Beer. Simply Beer. Pale Ale, it's a 5G Extract w/steeping grains recipe from Midwest Supplies. I even hit the recommended original gravity, normally I'm some where sorta kinda close but today when I checked it was right on! These Simply Beer recipes are pretty good, basically everything you need and nothing you don't as they say. It includes the steeping grains, liquid malt extract, hops (2 oz of cascade hops in this case), the recommended dry yeast, and the priming sugar along with a muslin bag for the hops.

I normally try to brew on Saturdays as I usually have that day off, but I've got today off and tomorrow we have plans so yay, I brewed beer today. One thing I strongly dislike about brewing in the summertime is that I have to use a insulated cooler bag to try to keep the air temperature down around 65*F, which involves changing out a 2 or 3L bottle of ice daily, not an issue brewing during the winter months. Ah well, such is life, I guess.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I remember my days with that bag. I just treated like it was my baby. [emoji23]
But, it worked very well for me and my beer improved due to the better temp control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

TonyKZ1 wrote:One thing I strongly dislike about brewing in the summertime is that I have to use a insulated cooler bag to try to keep the air temperature down around 65*F, which involves changing out a 2 or 3L bottle of ice daily, not an issue brewing during the winter months. Ah well, such is life, I guess.
Luckily I like Belgians, Saisons, and such, so when I can't keep my ambient temps below 70, I just switch over to those.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Gotta keg my Kolsch tonight. After this one is carbed, my stock is back up. Won’t need to brew for awhile. But the keg of saison is close to empty. When it goes, then I’ll brew something to replace it it.

ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by Beer-lord »

Kegged the latest Simply Simarello Friday and quick carbed it just because I like em young!
Came out very well but still not the aroma bomb I’m looking for. Used imperial DryHop yeast which works well with these hops.

PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Bottled the O.A.F Wheat Ale (Bergamot hops).

It was O.A.F. smelling and tasting for sure. More like zest then juice. Will see when it's ready if that changes.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Brewed 6 gallons of a Dubbel, will use Abbaye yeast in it. Lowerish ABV for a dubbel, ~6% it will be. Made my own ~90L candi syrup to go in it.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

mashani wrote:
TonyKZ1 wrote:One thing I strongly dislike about brewing in the summertime is that I have to use a insulated cooler bag to try to keep the air temperature down around 65*F, which involves changing out a 2 or 3L bottle of ice daily, not an issue brewing during the winter months. Ah well, such is life, I guess.
Luckily I like Belgians, Saisons, and such, so when I can't keep my ambient temps below 70, I just switch over to those.
Yeah, that's a good idea. I've made both of those in the past, the Belgian turned out better than the Saison.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

@TonyKZ, if you want to try a saison again and you can describe the recipe you used and what it was that you weren't happy with about with the final product, I can help you avoid whatever that was. Feel free to ask away.