What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by mashani »

The pitcher idea is good, also once it sits in the bottle longer, and especially if you chill it in the fridge for a week or so before you drink it, the sediment will compact more and be less likely to get mixed in.

If you decide to go beyond the Brew Demon / Mr. Beer style kits and brew your own, one hint to get rid of the "green apple" faster is to simply pitch more yeast. If you go with say a full 11.5g pack for 2.5/3 gallons, you will not have any at 2 weeks because it got done fermenting much sooner and sitting on the yeast cake for that much longer the yeast uptake the acetaldehyde (which is what the green apple taste is). This is *not* too much yeast, even if some people will say you don't need that much. (you don't, but it will make "better beer faster").

I use Mr. Malty yeast pitch calc at "Pro Brewer" levels for nearly all of my beers these days and as an acetaldehyde super taster, "better beer faster" is how I would describe the results. It's worth a couple of extra bucks for me to get those results. The only beers I do not pitch at that rate are ones I want to get a lot of banana esters in (certain wheat beer yeasts).
MichaelJ

Post by MichaelJ »

The original idea was to do 3 weeks on the primary but you know life, so I had to bottle a week earlier. I have some pint size PETs with the Mr. Beer Oktoberfest in them that did the full 3 weeks in the primary.

Patience isn't an issue. I have plenty of that, especially when it comes to drinking tasty beer.

Next is the Mr. Beer Northwest Pale Ale and then the American Prophecy Ale from BD. Got me some SafAle US-05 for those.

I do plan on heading towards extract brews form Northern Brewer and such by Christmas.

And I 2nd the pitcher idea, hadn't really thought of that. Mainly because I don't have a beer pitcher lying around. But I do have other vessels that will work just fine.
In the fridge: nothing :(
Conditioning: MrBeer Northwest Pale Ale, Brickwarmer Holiday Red
Fermenting: Black Magic Dark Mild
On Deck:
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

mashani wrote:
berryman wrote:
FrozenInTime wrote:I'm in the boil stage of an IPA using all mosaic hops.
I did a kinda' PA-IPA with all Mosaic and I really liked it.
The last time I tried it I didn't like it as much as an all Simcoe beer, but I think I didn't use enough hops and/or my hops were on the older side.
I did 1oz @ 60, 1oz @ 30, 2oz @ flame-out and 2oz one week prior to bottling. 6oz total, dats alota hops but sooo worth it, dayum good!
(Northern Brewer recipe)
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
MichaelJ

Post by MichaelJ »

Mr. Beer Northwest Pale Ale
OG: 1.048
SafAle US-05 re-hydrated before pitch
PXL_20201004_230140405sm.jpg
PXL_20201004_230140405sm.jpg (30.4 KiB) Viewed 2567 times
On Deck:
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

MichaelJ wrote:Mr. Beer Northwest Pale Ale
OG: 1.048
SafAle US-05 re-hydrated before pitch
PXL_20201004_230140405sm.jpg
Looking good but just wondering why tried re-hydrated on 11.5 of 05 on 2.5-3 gal on a 1.048 beer. one pack dry would easily take you there. BUT good to learn how to re-hydrate. Don't tell the rest of guys here :) and will get boo hoo'd but will reach fg in about 3 days. but let it go for a while to be better.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
MichaelJ

Post by MichaelJ »

berryman wrote: Looking good but just wondering why tried re-hydrated on 11.5 of 05 on 2.5-3 gal on a 1.048 beer. one pack dry would easily take you there. BUT good to learn how to re-hydrate. Don't tell the rest of guys here :) and will get boo hoo'd but will reach fg in about 3 days. but let it go for a while to be better.
Definitely was just as a learning experience.
On Deck:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

berryman wrote:
MichaelJ wrote:Mr. Beer Northwest Pale Ale
Don't tell the rest of guys here :) and will get boo hoo'd but will reach fg in about 3 days. but let it go for a while to be better.
For sure it will be done in 3-5 days depending on temps with that kind of pitch rate - it's what I do. I still leave it longer (at least 10 days) just to clean up acetaldehyde before I bottle it though.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

MichaelJ wrote:
berryman wrote: Definitely was just as a learning experience.
I'm not saying a bad Idea and nice to know how to do, and also even though the primary fermentation will be over fast it still really needs to be in the fermenter for a couple weeks. I have only re-hydrated dry yeast a couple times and didn't see a real advantage, but that was with belle saison and I swear if you put that yeast in a mud puddle it would ferment it out to some kind of beer... :)
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Spending a nice Sunday morning getting back to brewing tomorrow with a Kolsch for a get together in a month or so. I haven't brewed since back in May and looking forward to knocking the dust off.
Brew Strong My Friends...
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Today I Brewed another one of those Beer. Simply Beer recipes from Midwest Supplies, this one was the IPA.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Finally kegged the Southern Squeeze (Fresh Squeezed clone but swapped the hops for Southern Cross and Southern Passion).

I can't recall the last time I let a beer sit in the fermemtor for a full 3 weeks

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I'm brewing an IPA my nephew designed. He and my brother (his dad) have brewed it several times. They first did it as a 10 gallon partial mash and asked me if I could convert it to all grain for them. BeerSmith has a nifty conversion tool, so it was basically one-click after entering the ingredients.

It looks like it should be really good. The malt bill has two row, wheat (supposed to be flaked wheat, but I get whole wheat in bulk from Costco, so I mill that and use it in place of the flaked wheat), and oatmeal.

The hop schedule is interesting. Amarillo for 14 minutes, simcoe, galaxy, citra for 7, simcoe, galaxy, citra hopstand (I added then at flameout this time, but I'll tru a different approach next time). Then a dry hop with Amarillo, galaxy, simcoe.

I know just how much wort I need in the M&B with a 60 minute boil, so I boiled four 60 minutes and set a timer for the 14 minute mark.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I'm a weirdo for beer names. Friends send them to me.....our conversations during non beer discussions may decide for me to remember a certain stupidity and we play, 'band name, beer name'.
One of these is Tuck In Da Tag (long story). So today I brewed it. I got a sack of Proximity 2 row and love it so I did a 1.057 pale with Proximity 2 row and C30, a bit of Spelt malt for head re retention and 2 lbs of Vienna. I love Strata and have some older Comet hops I've been wanting to use so I did a generous amout of Strata on the hot side with a bit of Comet then hit it with a whirlpool of both and I will also do 2 oz of each in dry hop. No idea how these 2 play together but I'll drink it!
Strata seems to work pretty well with almost anything.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I bottled that Azacca hop Frankenbier IPA. If anyone remembers those latitude 48 deconstructed beers that SA put out and remember the Simcoe one, the best way I can describe this right now is what that tasted like but dialed up to near Pliney levels of BAM. Can certainly say I didn't use too little Azacca hops this time or that Azacca hops are too mellow LOL.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I brewed 6 gallon batch of the "Honey Cream Ale RCE" because it's apparently awesome stuff.