What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by Kealia »

D'oh! I heard about that stuff but had forgotten about it. And I just picked up my supplies from More beer last week.

I will try that on a future batch, for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Brewed an ESB
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Lacto did it's thing, so boiling the Berliner today.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

bpgreen wrote:Not yet, but this weekend.

Noy long ago, More Beer's Kit of the Week was "Topped With Hops" (their Heady Topper "clone").

Since it was 20% off, I ordered it, along with a few other things to get the free shipping.

Then realized that I forgot to enter the code tor the 20% discount.

So I did it again (with the discount).

This thing is a beast.

12 lbs 2 row, 1 lb candi sugar, 1.25 lbs specialty malts, and 15 oz of hops.

Edited to correct typo (I accidentally wrote 29%)
This went into the keg tonight. I'm also mashing the second one. Lesson learned. I'll use a hop bag for the dry hops this batch. And probably also cold crash. I don't usually do that since I don't have enough refrigerator space, but it's cold enough outside. I probably lost a half gallon or so due to excessive trub.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Heady Topper is 8% ABV. This batch is 8.5. I reread the instructions, and they said to mash at 148, so I probably mashed higher last time. And morebeer was slightly more generous with the grains this time. So this batch may be even stronger.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I brewed a Super Pale Ale today. 2 row and Maris Otter for the malt bill, that’s it. No caramel or sweet malts. Columbus and Nugget at 15 minutes, then Nugget, Cascade and Galena at 5 minutes. It will get a 5 day dry hop of Cascade and Galena. Should be light colored and somewhat dry/thin with an ABV of about 6% or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Bottled the ESB. Think it will be great. Liked the hydro sample quite much.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I brewed another batch of Grodziskie like substance. I really like this stuff it seems. I bittered it with some of the cluster I got in my giant pack o-mystery-hops and finished it with actual Polish Lubelska hops that I found. I went with a 60/40 ration of oak smoked wheat to pils, because the Viking oak smoked wheat I have is a bit more strongly flavored then the weyermann stuff. I have gone 70/30 with the weyermann. In theory you can go 100% oak smoked wheat, but that would be too much for me.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

bpgreen wrote:

Noy long ago, More Beer's Kit of the Week was "Topped With Hops" (their Heady Topper "clone").

Since it was 20% off, I ordered it, along with a few other things to get the free shipping.

This thing is a beast.

This went into the keg tonight. I'm also mashing the second one. Lesson learned. I'll use a hop bag for the dry hops this batch. And probably also cold crash. I don't usually do that since I don't have enough refrigerator space, but it's cold enough outside. I probably lost a half gallon or so due to excessive trub.
I tapped this last night.

Actually, to be accurate, I should say I tried to tap it. Nothing came out. I tapped another keg and started trying to figure out what went wrong. I finally realized the liquid out was plugged. I used an autosiphon to transfer to a sanitized fermenter, took the liquid out apart, cleaned everything, sanitized, and transferred back. There was so much hop debris, the bucket still had some in it after the transfer.

I ended up losing almost a gallon due to the various issues I had.

I'm definitely going to use bags for the dry hop and do a cold crash for the one that's in the fermenter now. I may put something over the end of the autosiphon when I transfer it to the keg.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

bpgreen wrote:
bpgreen wrote:

This thing is a beast.

I tapped this last night.

Actually, to be accurate, I should say I tried to tap it. Nothing came out. I tapped another keg and started trying to figure out what went wrong. I finally realized the liquid out was plugged. I used an autosiphon to transfer to a sanitized fermenter, took the liquid out apart, cleaned everything, sanitized, and transferred back. There was so much hop debris, the bucket still had some in it after the transfer.

I ended up losing almost a gallon due to the various issues I had.

I'm definitely going to use bags for the dry hop and do a cold crash for the one that's in the fermenter now. I may put something over the end of the autosiphon when I transfer it to the keg.
I dry hopped the second batch (used a hop bag) yesterday. Tapped the first one for real today.

It's really good, but I'm a cheapskate, so it's not likely that I'll buy it at full price.

Although even at full price, it's about a dollar for 12 oz, so it's not a bad deal.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I kegged my Super Pale Ale. One of the hop variety’s was extremely leafy, so I didn’t get a great pack down during the cold crash and ended up transferring a bit of hop leaf to the keg. I’ll have to watch for it clogging the spring in the beer line connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I am brewing.... Coopers Lager. Yes, a can of HME. Why? Because I bought a replacement fermenter for one that got scratched up, and it came with the stuff, and I wasn't gonna just toss it.

It took less "time" then AG in the Mash & Boil, but I actually would not call it that much easier. I wasn't going to brew that stuff straight up, I wanted to add some finishing hops to cover up the Pride of Ringwood, so I had to bring it to a boil diluted in water before tossing in some Polish Lubelski. Between the big can of extract and all the adjunct it filled my pot too close to the top. (I guess I could have done it in the M&B but I figured I didn't want to clean it at the time so I went with a pot).

This required me standing over a pot by my stove watching it carefully so it didn't boil over for like 30 minutes. Where with the M&B, I can just turn it on, walk away and ignore it.

So I actually found it more annoying then brewing AG batches. Imagine that.

It will be interesting to see how I like it compared to AG batches now that I've just been doing AG for 2+ years.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

mashani wrote:I am brewing.... Coopers Lager. Yes, a can of HME. Why? Because I bought a replacement fermenter for one that got scratched up, and it came with the stuff, and I wasn't gonna just toss it.

It took less "time" then AG in the Mash & Boil, but I actually would not call it that much easier. I wasn't going to brew that stuff straight up, I wanted to add some finishing hops to cover up the Pride of Ringwood, so I had to bring it to a boil diluted in water before tossing in some Polish Lubelski. Between the big can of extract and all the adjunct it filled my pot too close to the top. (I guess I could have done it in the M&B but I figured I didn't want to clean it at the time so I went with a pot).

This required me standing over a pot by my stove watching it carefully so it didn't boil over for like 30 minutes. Where with the M&B, I can just turn it on, walk away and ignore it.

So I actually found it more annoying then brewing AG batches. Imagine that.

It will be interesting to see how I like it compared to AG batches now that I've just been doing AG for 2+ years.
The overall time required for a brew in the mash and boil is longer, but the amount of time spent actually doing anything is much less. I'm WFH, and the other day, I set up for a brew the night before, and brewed while working. I just had to fill a pitcher a few times to sparge, then toss in hops when the timer went off.

It was kind of accidental. I was planning to brew this weekend, but somehow managed to get everything ready by Thursday.

But that's ok. I'll still brew this weekend.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

mashani wrote:I brewed another batch of Grodziskie like substance. I really like this stuff it seems. I bittered it with some of the cluster I got in my giant pack o-mystery-hops and finished it with actual Polish Lubelska hops that I found. I went with a 60/40 ration of oak smoked wheat to pils, because the Viking oak smoked wheat I have is a bit more strongly flavored then the weyermann stuff. I have gone 70/30 with the weyermann. In theory you can go 100% oak smoked wheat, but that would be too much for me.
Bottled this, it's gonna be wicked.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

mashani wrote:I am brewing.... Coopers Lager. Yes, a can of HME. Why? Because I bought a replacement fermenter for one that got scratched up, and it came with the stuff, and I wasn't gonna just toss it.

I wanted to add some finishing hops to cover up the Pride of Ringwood, so I had to bring it to a boil diluted in water before tossing in some Polish Lubelski.
I bottled this. And man, if you or your loved ones want a beer that smells like you are lying under a magnolia tree on a lavender filled pillow, the Lubelski hops are the thing you want to finish and/or dry hop your beer with. I've never smelled a stronger level of magnolia besides when outside near one of the local trees when blooming. And that was with ~1oz of this stuff finishing the beer @flameout and dumped commando into cold water to immediately chill and pitch (so more like a very long dry hop).