What are you drinking?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

What are you drinking?

Post by Rebel_B »

BigPapaG wrote:@ Rebel_B

Curious as to what your thoughts are on the malt that you are suggesting it might be better as an addition rather than a 100%'er...

With my RCE withe Screwy, I was at about 51% Red X but upon completion, I now feel I wanted more of it in the grist... Maybe 75% or more...

Thoughts?

:cool:
Well I have a second version of the Red X IPA where instead of some 75% Red X & 25% Pale, I have 80% Pale & 20% Red X malts. I just started some dry hops, but when tasting the gravity sample, I think will turn out to be more to my tastes than the first version. I'll post on that version after it is kegged, carbed, & poured. It has already fermented to a lower gravity than my first version, which finished at 1.020...
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

What are you drinking?

Post by Rebel_B »

Beer-lord wrote:I'm starting to feel better about adding some munich and vienna to my recipe but then again, I don't really like my beers with 100% single grains. Just a little of another type or two is what my tongue enjoys.
Rebel, that color does look very nice. Is Red X supposed to be red or a burnt orange? I don't know but the Stone beer was definitely to the dark red side.
I still haven't tasted the Stone ale. I have had a local beer from Post Doc Brewing; an Imperial Red IPA which utilizes the Red X malt. % of Red X in that ale wasn't spelled out, but I'm basing my second version on that ale. Mild red color, not orange...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458791096.624382.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458791096.624382.jpg (230.33 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by swenocha »

Mantra Goo Goo Gish
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

My Sons of Sauvin Pale Ale
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

Boneyard Brewing RPM IPA; pineapple & citrus flavors, delicious!
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I've had that and been to Boneyard.....good stuff! I really liked their Pale Ale.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

Kealia wrote:I've had that and been to Boneyard.....good stuff! I really liked their Pale Ale.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I'm in Bend, OR right now. Just missed visiting Boneyard last night, went by there at 6:30, they had closed at 6:00.
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

Having some issues with posting images with Tapatalk today; trying with the web version now. Visited 4 breweries Monday night. By 7 PM, the last two places I went were standing room only in Bend.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (146.38 KiB) Viewed 2264 times
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Nice. When I went we hit Boneyard, Crux, Cascade Lakes and Deschuetes. Of the group, I was least impressed with Deschuetes. They had Mirror Pond and Fresh Squeezed on tap of course, but nothing else really interesting or anything that I liked as much as the other breweries. Tastes vary, of course. Good luck on black out bingo!
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Yazoo Craftmasters Beer Dinner benefit tonight... Dishes paired with various Yazoo beers, and songwriters in the round... most excellent. All to benefit CASA. Thanks to Neil for the invite...

Beer tasting for the pairing was Yazoo Sly Rye Porter paired with the Bourbon Chicken Liver Pate. Dos Perros paired with the Beer Cheese Soup, Sue paired with Short Ribs. and Spring paired with Bread Pudding. Large pours of Daddy-O Pilsner and Pale Ale. Entertainment by Scott Reeves, Mark Narmore, and Keith Anderson. Good times...
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Nothing. I'm out of town at a conference and this was my choice last night:

So plese keep posting as I'm living vicariously through all of you until I get home.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

Thank goodness my beer palate is returning. I just had an imported Ayinger Jahrhundert Bier (Bavarian Lager) and it was great!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The_Professor wrote:Thank goodness my beer palate is returning. I just had an imported Ayinger Jahrhundert Bier (Bavarian Lager) and it was great!
Have you ever had Great Lakes Dortmunder? Just wondering how it compares. I've not seen the Ayinger Dortmunder in my parts to side by side with it.

Anyways:

I'm drinking that beer that came in a can with my "Mini Cooper" fermenter I got in the garage sale. Which was the Mr. Beer Diablo IPA which I added a little bit of DME to and some Azacca hops, and brewed as a 2.9 gallon batch to test out the fermenter, since it came with "free beer".

And... it tastes too much like Pride of Ringwood for my liking...

But that's about what I expected. I hoped diluting it and adding the Azzaca would cover it up more, but nope.

I'll drink it, it's not "bad", but I'm not a fan of POR at all, so it's not something I would want all the time. And this refill is probably the worst possible case of POR poisoning...
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Platform Brewing (a local thing, I have no idea if you can get this outside of NE OH) "Red Cup" IPA.

It's kind of like an average Irish Red mixed with an average Cascadian Dark.

Honestly, I make a lot of PM or Steep + extract beers that are much better then this. At least to my tastes.

The Irish red part turns it into a beer where people who think porters or stouts are Icky would think this is Icky.

??????????
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Tropicalia IPA from Creature Comfort in Georgia.

Wow, intense fruit aroma followed by what must be a boatload of late hop additions because the flavors are super juicy. It reminds me of Fresh Squeezed, not in taste, but in the way the hops are forward and fruity with minimal bitterness.

Thanks Inky.