I deserve a homebrew because....

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

duff
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: I deserve a homebrew because....

Post by duff »

That sucks about the water heater. I remember the mess ours made when ours ruptured. Hopefully the repair went well.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

deleted
Last edited by TonyKZ1 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

duff wrote:That sucks about the water heater. I remember the mess ours made when ours ruptured. Hopefully the repair went well.
Yep the repairs went well once they finally showed!!! First job Friday morning they said,,,,, call if someone hasn't called by 9:30 am they said,,,,, somebody should be calling shortly they said,,,,, called at 1:30 pm don't know what happened they said,,,,, arrived at 4:10 pm and took a shower by 5:30 pm! This just started my weekend off right, went to the camper Friday evening finally, we were closing it down for the season, campground closes next Sunday, I'm in the process of doing some outside stuff and find a butt load of wasps flying under and up into the campers frame, spent an extra hour or more winterizing after dealing with the wasps! Then Sunday sitting in the stands watching what was supposed to be a professional football team look like they all had never seen a football in their lives!!!! Thank God Monday arrived :whistle:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Those wasps are pesky li'l buggers. I hope you got 'em all. When my water heater went last year, I was actually lucky. I was bottling a batch, and my bottling bench is in the basement, right next to the furnace and water heater. I had partially filled a bottle when the batch ran out, and it wasn't even a third full, so I drank it, then took the bottle upstairs to set it in the sink so I could wash it when I was done with everything. Wasn't gone two minutes, but when I went back downstairs, I saw water cascading out of the top of the heater. I quickly shut it off and contacted the plumber, but I doubt even a gallon of water was wasted before I discovered it.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Why I *need* a homebrew.

Because fsck -fy is not helping.

That is why. (it's a geek thing).
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

mashani wrote:Why I *need* a homebrew.

Because fsck -fy is not helping.

That is why. (it's a geek thing).
Your OS is borked?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Oh yeah.

Lots of:

cp -R /blah /externalusbblah

going on.

Just in case my backup is corrupted too. I don't know. I don't want to know until I back up files again.
Last edited by mashani on Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

What the heck was the indicator there was a problem?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

It's a Mac I use for iOS development. Hanging during startup on the "white screen of pain". Just sits there at 90% progress forever. Safe mode boot no workie. Disk repair says everything is just dandy. Single user mode (unix command prompt) works and I can see everything. So I don't know what's wrong, but I'm backing up important files again by hand to a 128 gig USB drive I got a while back before I mess with it more and/or resort to my time machine backup. Just to be sure.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

Update gone wrong?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Maybe. But if so, it was a "delayed" wrong. My kid has been messing with it a lot for the last couple of days so he might have done something/infected it with a virus. He doesn't have root/admin rights though and I do run a virus scanner unlike 90% of Mac users so I don't know what he could have done.

I luckily know enough Linux to mount my USB drive as a volume and copy files to it from the command prompt and attempt repairs. But I'm not sure I'm going to succeed.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

mashani wrote:...I luckily know enough Linux to ...
Recent Mac OS's are certified UNIX. (So yeah, Linux knowledge works fine.)
Sorry I'm not a Mac guy but translating to PC sounds like failed bootloader, failing hard drive, bad update...

You've already seen stuff like this:
I'll need to have a look at the system log:
cd "/Volumes/Macintosh HD" ; tail -200 var/log/system.log ; find Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports -name *.panic -ctime -1w

and this:
Take each of these steps that you haven't already tried...

BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

It may be a corrupt launch database...

When you go for safe mode, are you holding the shift key until the status bar below the spinning gear comes up? (Could take quite a while)... Or just until the apple logo comes up?

Also, what OS? Is there a Recovery Partition you could try booting from? (Ie: 10.6 or earlier, no recovery partition)

Have you any advanced utilities such as DiskWarrior?

:cool:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

It's El Capitan. It was running fine for many days, then failed out of nowhere.

I have it "working" now, as I discovered that disabling the new "rootless" feature using csrutil disable in the single user/recovery mode console and rebooting allowed me to complete the boot process.

But now I need to figure out what is tripping up the extra system integrity checks that I just turned off. Because I do not want to leave them turned off.

It is possible that since as I said, I'm one of the small number of Mac people who actually bother with a virus scanner that my virus scanner itself is what's causing the problem. It might be trying to inject code into a kernel process to do it's thing and tripping up the rootless feature.

So that's where I'm at.

The weird thing is that there are no panic logs. I don't understand why. That's what made this such a pain. No clues. Just guessing.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

mashani wrote:It's El Capitan. It was running fine for many days, then failed out of nowhere.

I have it "working" now, as I discovered that disabling the new "rootless" feature using csrutil disable in the single user/recovery mode console and rebooting allowed me to complete the boot process.

But now I need to figure out what is tripping up the extra system integrity checks that I just turned off. Because I do not want to leave them turned off.

It is possible that since as I said, I'm one of the small number of Mac people who actually bother with a virus scanner that my virus scanner itself is what's causing the problem. It might be trying to inject code into a kernel process to do it's thing and tripping up the rootless feature.

So that's where I'm at.

The weird thing is that there are no panic logs. I don't understand why. That's what made this such a pain. No clues. Just guessing.
Sounds like everyday life for us Windows users. :laugh
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)