I deserve a homebrew because....

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: I deserve a homebrew because....

Post by mashani »

Sounds like everyday life for us Windows users. :laugh
I've actually had less trouble with Windows 8.1 and now Windows 10 boxes then I have with my various OS/X installs. As in my 8.1 and 10 boxes have never crashed. Ever. And I use them more.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

The El Capitan is working fine for me now, but I've had some issues as I had installed it when it was in beta. I've had issues with the MS Office 2011 software but after upgrading to the latest version of Office, that's working now too. I'm also running a virus sw program and it's caused me problems in the past too, just not with this Mac OS version. I would have just as soon stayed with the Mac OS X v 10.10 that came with my new work iMac but thought I'd try the beta when Apple notified me about it.
Tony
mashani wrote:It's El Capitan. It was running fine for many days, then failed out of nowhere.

I have it "working" now, as I discovered that disabling the new "rootless" feature using csrutil disable in the single user/recovery mode console and rebooting allowed me to complete the boot process.

But now I need to figure out what is tripping up the extra system integrity checks that I just turned off. Because I do not want to leave them turned off.

It is possible that since as I said, I'm one of the small number of Mac people who actually bother with a virus scanner that my virus scanner itself is what's causing the problem. It might be trying to inject code into a kernel process to do it's thing and tripping up the rootless feature.

So that's where I'm at.

The weird thing is that there are no panic logs. I don't understand why. That's what made this such a pain. No clues. Just guessing.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

mashani wrote:
Sounds like everyday life for us Windows users. :laugh
I've actually had less trouble with Windows 8.1 and now Windows 10 boxes then I have with my various OS/X installs. As in my 8.1 and 10 boxes have never crashed. Ever. And I use them more.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Windows is by far the best real time strategy game I've ever played... bar none.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

I deserve a homebrew because I just spent a few moments reading the above computer posts and didn't understand a damn thing.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

Whamolagan wrote:I deserve a homebrew because I just spent a few moments reading the above computer posts and didn't understand a damn thing.
Okay, just don't spill any beer on your computer...
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

But it runs on spent grain.
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Whamolagan wrote:But it runs on spent grain.
I like the set of your jib CPU sir! ;)
Sibling Brewers
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Because in the past week or so I sold a bunch of my father in-law's collectibles/antiques/crap/hoarding stash (take your pick) that I never thought I would... Some hanging green lights (like from a factory) for $180, a set of Magic Lantern slides for $200+, a UGLY music box for $40, and more.

Proving the old adage, one man's junk is another man's treasure.

Unfortunately, it still barely makes a dent in all the crap in our basement. Pipe wrench anyone?
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

RickBeer wrote:Because in the past week or so I sold a bunch of my father in-law's collectibles/antiques/crap/hoarding stash (take your pick) that I never thought I would... Some hanging green lights (like from a factory) for $180, a set of Magic Lantern slides for $200+, a UGLY music box for $40, and more.

Proving the old adage, one man's junk is another man's treasure.

Unfortunately, it still barely makes a dent in all the crap in our basement. Pipe wrench anyone?
I feel your pain RB one of the houses we went to see was still occupied by a very, very old couple and it was crammed... from the garage to the bric a brac curios to the kitchen cabinets to the closets crammed full of STUFF. You couldn't see the house for the clutter if; they don't have kids who can/will come and clear it all up I doubt they will be able to sell.
Sibling Brewers
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I thought you were building?
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

RickBeer wrote:I thought you were building?

Waaayyyeellll what happened was this........(long story omitted because I like you guys). :D

We met with our builder while we were there ( he had been really, really ill) to look at resales as per the post elsewhere.

I am SOOOO tempted to talk about what it is like to find housing if you are a person with a disability but I respect that this is not the place.

You guys have no idea how scary it is to know that you could end up homeless.
Sibling Brewers
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

Wait what? Shouldn't your Realtor be doing that for you? I mean you shouldn't have to worry about getting homeless due to not being able to find a place.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

I deserve a homebrew right now because… We were vendors at a craft show today and made pretty good money. :) So we went out to eat at a watering hole up there before heading home. I noticed they were serving quite a bit of bottled beer, hmm.. idea, :idea: so I ask our waitress about getting some pop-off bottles, not twistoff but pop off for home brewing beer. No problem she says and then the Bartender comes over, sets down and asks how many I'd like. Oh I don't know 12-24 whatever I guess if it's no problem. It's no problem at all, we just throw them away. So when our meal is done and the waitress brings our check she also brings out a cardboard case box full of beer bottles. No charge. Excellent, so we pay our bill and I leave her a nice tip.

We get home about a hour later and I start going through the bottles, gonna toss the twist-offs if there is any and put the others in a bucket to clean and de-label….. :oops: Everyone is a twist-off bottle, arrgggggg….. So I'm enjoying my homebrew, a BrewDemon One Evil Pilsner...
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
duff
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by duff »

I deserve a homebrew because I am at a friends house and he reminded me that when I moved I had left some stuff at his place during a move...

Strong raspberry wheat beers that tasted #$%& 18 months ago taste pretty good. A bit too sweet for my normal consumption. Also I made 3 gallons of mead that I thought ended up dumped and we are going to bottle it tomorrow. The sample of mead is good.

So basically I deserve a homebrew because I made some.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I deserve a homebrew because this is a 3-day weekend for me, and I've spent yesterday priming the walls and ceiling of the dining room, and will spent this morning painting them.

I don't know if I'll have the gumption to bottle and brew later today, even though I planned on it.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer