The No Post Post

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: The No Post Post

Post by berryman »

I'm old and cold, have been thinking tonight if I should get a pellet stove for my basement. That's what I've been researching on the 'net tonight. Have been doing the math and if it will save me a few $ and I can be warm, I might do it. I like wood heat and cutting fire wood, but such a mess and hassel, and fire hazard also.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

off hand, I'd say a pellet stove is less of a hassel than a girl friend. lower maint, and will most likely keep you warmer for much less
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I don't mind the cold for short spells. It's when I have to work outdoors in it that it really makes me miserable.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Yankeedag wrote:off hand, I'd say a pellet stove is less of a hassel than a girl friend. lower maint, and will most likely keep you warmer for much less
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

berryman wrote:I'm old and cold, have been thinking tonight if I should get a pellet stove for my basement. That's what I've been researching on the 'net tonight. Have been doing the math and if it will save me a few $ and I can be warm, I might do it. I like wood heat and cutting fire wood, but such a mess and hassel, and fire hazard also.
I have a pellet stove in the finished basement. It's great. Especially since I live in the Northeast where oil heat is prevalent, and ridiculously expensive. (I wish I could convert to gas but it's not available on my street, out in the boonies.) The finished basement is not on the main heating system, and I can heat down there with the pellet stove for a LOT less per square foot than the main level.
My only gripe with the pellet stove is storing the bags of pellets. But that's a minor issue.
Basically, what Y-Dag said is true!

But bottom line, count me in for FIT's plan of migrating south -- I'm getting too old for this winter sh*t!
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

My local hombrew club is having a beer competition; judging begins Friday evening.
image.jpg
image.jpg (84.98 KiB) Viewed 869 times
Last night, a group of us began the labeling and sorting of competition entries... Lots of bottles; just under <200 entries, (3) 12oz bottles/entry. We cheerfully drank a keg of fresh hopped IPA, hopped with his homegrown hops picked in September. Yummy!
image.jpg
image.jpg (84.98 KiB) Viewed 869 times
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (96.61 KiB) Viewed 867 times
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I hope the competition goes well.

And thanks to you and your buddies for volunteering your time and effort to make it happen. Competitions are fun, and they're important, as the feedback is valuable and helps make better homebrewers of all competitors. But they don't just happen on their own; there's a lot of behind-the-scenes activity going on, and it's often unrecognized.

So, for you and the other volunteers: ----> :fedora:
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

I heated my 2000 sq ft r ranch for several years with a pellet stove. Put a box fan on top to reach the other end of the house. Temp ranged from 80 near stove to 70 in my bedroom. Saved tons of cash vs oil. Paid for itself in 2 years, and a little warmer.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Crazy Climber wrote:
berryman wrote:I'm old and cold, have been thinking tonight if I should get a pellet stove for my basement. That's what I've been researching on the 'net tonight. Have been doing the math and if it will save me a few $ and I can be warm, I might do it. I like wood heat and cutting fire wood, but such a mess and hassel, and fire hazard also.
I have a pellet stove in the finished basement. It's great. Especially since I live in the Northeast where oil heat is prevalent, and ridiculously expensive. (I wish I could convert to gas but it's not available on my street, out in the boonies.) The finished basement is not on the main heating system, and I can heat down there with the pellet stove for a LOT less per square foot than the main level.
My only gripe with the pellet stove is storing the bags of pellets. But that's a minor issue.
Basically, what Y-Dag said is true!

But bottom line, count me in for FIT's plan of migrating south -- I'm getting too old for this winter sh*t!
I've used wood heat for over 20 years and after I built my new house we switched to using propane only, (I still have a wood burner in my shop/garage). In my basement which is insulated and semi finished off, I use a propane wall mounted heater that does a good job, but I spend a lot on my heating bill. I also really miss the warmth of a woodstove, that's why I'm thinking pellet stove. They are a lot cleaner, safer and without all the other hassles of burning wood and still basically the same type of heat.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Crazy Climber wrote:But bottom line, count me in for FIT's plan of migrating south -- I'm getting too old for this winter sh*t!
Y'all are more than welcome to move on down, be glad to have anyone of you as my neighbor. The house next door is for sale and 2 down on the corner.
Looking at the outside temperature right now, it's 65* and I'm wearing shorts.

The only problem is there's some weird guy in the neighborhood that brews beer. :whistle:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Inkleg wrote:
Crazy Climber wrote:But bottom line, count me in for FIT's plan of migrating south -- I'm getting too old for this winter sh*t!
Y'all are more than welcome to move on down, be glad to have anyone of you as my neighbor. The house next door is for sale and 2 down on the corner.
Looking at the outside temperature right now, it's 65* and I'm wearing shorts.

The only problem is there's some weird guy in the neighborhood that brews beer. :whistle:
Hmm this sounds good and the weird guy that brews beer would be my friend. The problem I would have is if I put shorts on my white legs would blind everybody, they haven't seen good hot sunlight since my last trip to Vegas.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

berryman wrote: I also really miss the warmth of a woodstove, that's why I'm thinking pellet stove. They are a lot cleaner, safer and without all the other hassles of burning wood and still basically the same type of heat.
And the nice thing about pellet stoves is that they're automated. Fill it with pellets, set the thermostat to your desired temp, and it takes care of the rest. Turns itself on and off as needed, cranks up the feed when needed, lowers it when it can. The only pain is filling it with pellets (and having space to store them). But some people add on big hoppers that cut down on the chore of filling, too.

Inkleg wrote:The house next door is for sale and 2 down on the corner.
The only problem is there's some weird guy in the neighborhood that brews beer.
You're not seein' the connection, are you? :lol:

I bet the real estate's a lot cheaper down there than it is up here in the pricey, chilly Northeast, too. Throw in 65* on Halloween, and it's all sounding pretty good to me! (I took my kids out trick or treating in 47* drizzle tonight -- had to crack open the tester of my Pete's Wicked Winter Brew clone afterwards to make things right.)
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Trick or treatin... bet that was fun. Been a very long time since my kids were that age, no grandkidz to take either. The city kids don't come out this far... tooooo dark and dangerous for them so I miss out on that too. O-well.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

My kids are gone, so I get the leftover candy ................
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

The grand kids were with their mother, my son was on "date night". So the wife and I went to the movies and watched rain with a chance of meatballs 2.
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.