Winter Pics

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Winter Pics

Post by mashani »

Couple more pics from the farm.
P1090271.JPG
P1090271.JPG (72.09 KiB) Viewed 678 times
P1090275.JPG
P1090275.JPG (128.51 KiB) Viewed 678 times
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Nice.

I hope I remember to take my camera tomorrow, my pardner in crime and I are going to go ice fishing for the first time in a few years. As we have not kept up on hot spots, etc, I don't expect to catch much, if anything. I just need to go out and enjoy a day of fishing hard-water for a change.

Actually, I'm forcing myself to go. I need to get over my fear of being on ice. It's been about 5 years or so since I put a truck through the ice. I need to get over the fear it put in me, wish me luck! (We are walking out on the ice, no way in hell will I drive on ice again!) To catch a fish would be a serious bonus.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FrozenInTime wrote:Nice.

I hope I remember to take my camera tomorrow, my pardner in crime and I are going to go ice fishing for the first time in a few years. As we have not kept up on hot spots, etc, I don't expect to catch much, if anything. I just need to go out and enjoy a day of fishing hard-water for a change.

Actually, I'm forcing myself to go. I need to get over my fear of being on ice. It's been about 5 years or so since I put a truck through the ice. I need to get over the fear it put in me, wish me luck! (We are walking out on the ice, no way in hell will I drive on ice again!) To catch a fish would be a serious bonus.
Look back on the previous page, I posted other pics a bunch of you seemed to have missed. (they say no views).

Good luck!

I've not ice fished in a long time. When I did, I've luckily never sunk any kind of vehicle, but I've had to help rescue folks who got stuck on an ice flow that broke off and floated out into the lake once. That was sketchy and I don't ever want to do it again. There are folks around here who will drive to/from great lakes islands to the mainland when the lake gets really frozen in Jan/Feb. But I think they are nuts. If I lived on the islands I'd provision myself for winter so I didn't have to leave.
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

Neighbors not competent driving on steep snow covered roads in my neighborhood...
image.jpg
image.jpg (168.09 KiB) Viewed 658 times
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

image.jpg
image.jpg (125.58 KiB) Viewed 656 times
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Well, the ice fishing went great, had a ball. I took my camera, fresh batteries to take lots of pics. Well... I got so involved in what we were doing, I forgot and left my camera in my truck, we took my buds truck out on the ice. I did not get a single freaking pic, sorry, I let ya'll down. We are going to go again soon, I swear I will take some pics and post them... uh... what was I talking about?
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

FrozenInTime wrote:Well, the ice fishing went great, had a ball. I took my camera, fresh batteries to take lots of pics. Well... I got so involved in what we were doing, I forgot and left my camera in my truck, we took my buds truck out on the ice. I did not get a single freaking pic, sorry, I let ya'll down. We are going to go again soon, I swear I will take some pics and post them... uh... what was I talking about?
I think you just said that you went back out on the ice IN A VEHICLE. :o :blink:
Sibling Brewers
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

Yep they do that here too. Salvage companies make a fortune in recovery fees then there are the fines from the various Gov agencies wanting some cash too.
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Brewbirds wrote:
FrozenInTime wrote:Well, the ice fishing went great, had a ball. I took my camera, fresh batteries to take lots of pics. Well... I got so involved in what we were doing, I forgot and left my camera in my truck, we took my buds truck out on the ice. I did not get a single freaking pic, sorry, I let ya'll down. We are going to go again soon, I swear I will take some pics and post them... uh... what was I talking about?
I think you just said that you went back out on the ice IN A VEHICLE. :o :blink:
LOL, yea, it happened. I told my bud I wanted to walk out, he said no problem, then kept driving, right out on the ice. Yup, I had a hard time getting out of the seat as my cheeks were pretty, well, puckered up... LOL
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

Brewbirds wrote:
Hey. "Ice Road Truckers" ain't got nothin' on us up here in the frozen tundra. You ain't lived 'til you crossed an open water ice heave about 10 feet wide over 12 - 15 feet of water in a pick-up truck on a home made bridge. You do it with the doors open so that if the bridge gives way you can get out of the truck before it drags you to the bottom. All that for a few walleyes. :sweat:
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

can't say I ever wanted to drown a worm that bad. ;)
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

I don't know if it's an urban myth or not but it's a great story. Several years ago a guy bought a new Chevy pick-up. He took it out on Lake Of The Woods during the ice fishing season and decided to see if his On-Star had any reception out there. Well, it did and the person on the other end of the line went hysterical because the On-star told her that the dude was in the middle of a lake (which he was).
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Chuck N wrote:I don't know if it's an urban myth or not but it's a great story. Several years ago a guy bought a new Chevy pick-up. He took it out on Lake Of The Woods during the ice fishing season and decided to see if his On-Star had any reception out there. Well, it did and the person on the other end of the line went hysterical because the On-star told her that the dude was in the middle of a lake (which he was).

Oh man... could that be a fun afternoon e'ff'n with on-star folks... ROFLMAO!!!
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

jimjohson wrote:can't say I ever wanted to drown a worm that bad. ;)

LOL, me either. We go out there and use minnows, it's our mission to keep them alive, in the water so they can entice big 'eyes!

jj, if you did it a couple times you'd be hooked! (pun intended) Its a blast!
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

don't really get cold enough, long enough to freeze a lake where i'm from, s.w. Ohio. small pond yeah but not a lake. use to winter fish with my grandfather we'd go rabbit/bird hunting at the crack of dawn stop by the lake owned by his fishing club. sure never took long to catch our limit, them fish were hungry!
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe