PicoBrew present

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: PicoBrew present

Post by D_Rabbit »

Banjo:

You get a chance to use this bad boy yet?
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Watching a webinar on this via Adventures in Homebrewing and Austin Homebrew Supply in 10 minutes.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Watching a webinar on this sponsored by Adventures in Homebrewing and Austin Homebrew Supply at 3 EDT.

What a waste. About 3 minutes of talking, then answered questions. I left quickly.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

I think the machine blew up banjo.
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
NottingHill

Post by NottingHill »

D_Rabbit wrote:Banjo:

You get a chance to use this bad boy yet?
As Banjo did not reply yet, let me reply. I have had the Picobrew since April, and since then have been brewing at regular intervals (on avergage every two weeks). Works great, fill the ingredients, select the recipe, push the button and go. I watch the brewing cycle (time & temp) on my smartphone or tablet, as it is all on-line. When I get close to the end, I go back to the Picobrew, wait for it to beep, then start the cooling cycle. While people have hooked up in-line chiller, etc. I just use the method suggested by Picobrew. Just take off the cozy and stand the keg in a bucket, the surround with ice (lower 1/3 of keg). Usually takes 30-40 minutes to cool. I don't ferment in the keg, also suggested by Picobrew, but transfer to a separate fermentor (Since yesterday, I now have two Demons 2.5 gals size, perfect for the Picobrew). Then you run one or two rinse cycles, with a full cleaning cycle (using dish washing tablets) every 5th brew. I about 4-5 hours all told (depending on the recipe) you are ready to go again.
Their recipe editor is pretty good, not perfect though. You can import beerXML files, but there are issues transferring to/from Beersmith. The issues could be reduced by updating BS with ingredient names that match those that are in the Picobrew tool. Unfortunately, only Picobrew can update their library.

BTW, one word of caution, especially given the time of year. DON'T try to brew a pumpkin ale, I did and it bunged up a pump. SO my Picobrew is back in Seattle being repaired :(
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

I guess I'm really late to this party, but that's one heck of a present! Congrats :)
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

PicoBrew present

Post by Banjo-guy »

I'm here! I wasn't blown up by the Zymatic. I wish I had more to report to everyone but I used my Z for the second time today. I haven't been brewing because of some family issues.
NottingHill's write up is pretty much my experience. If I had to ship my Z back to Seattle I wouldn't be happy. That's got to be expensive.

It is a really cool present! Great wife!
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

@Nottinghill, thanks for chiming in with your experience with the Pico. sorry to hear it got fowled up by the punkin!

Also
:bbwelc:
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

@Banjo-guy @NottingHill thank you both for sharing your new PicoBrew experiences. I can't help but imagine that someday these new automated brewing systems may do for home brewing beer what Keurig and Tassimo have done for home brewing coffee! They've sure come a long long way from the days of using a three quart pot, can opener and an LBK to brew my beer. Here's to innovation!
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

PicoBrew present

Post by Banjo-guy »

Screwy, It's not really the Keurig or the bread maker of brewing. The Zymatic allows precise, easily repeated mash and hopping schedules. It really shines when it comes to mashing. Step mashes are easy.
The other big plus is ease of cleanup and the small footprint of the unit.
It's another way of brewing that allows full control of the elements of brewing.

If there is a downside it will be when something breaks and an out of warranty repair is needed. The replacement parts are expensive and shipping of this heavy unit will be very expensive.
Last edited by Banjo-guy on Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

You have to ship it back for repairs?

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

Banjo-guy wrote:If there is a downside it will be when something breaks and an out of warranty repair is needed. The replacement parts are expensive and shopping of this heavy unit will be very expensive.
Can you tell us more about the warranty?
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

PicoBrew present

Post by Banjo-guy »

RickBeer wrote:You have to ship it back for repairs?
I can't see how the Zymatic could be fixed by the user if a pump broke or if the arm that moves and directs water to different areas of the step filter stops working or falls out of alignment.
The Zymatic is kind of a black box. I could be wrong about this and Picobrew might be able to talk you through fixing things but I doubt it.
Eventually something is going to malfunction.

The customer service is off the charts. They respond right away if you have concerns. I was having an issue (that was caused by user error ) and they got back to me in minutes.

The warranty is one year, parts and labor.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

A credit card should double the warranty.

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

Banjo-guy wrote:I can't see how the Zymatic could be fixed by the user if a pump broke or if the arm that moves and directs water to different areas of the step filter stops working or falls out of alignment...
I would guess clogged rather than broken...and it may be a QC thing on their part, since brewing a pumpkin beer is somewhat likely for any PicoBrew user.