What are you drinking?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by berryman »

Keallia, a great looking beer and I really like the Red X malt. I am drinking a couple Hef’s tonight but also had a Kolsch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I haven't done a Kolsch in years.... maybe it's time to do another one. And I like an occasional hef, if it leans towards the banana side.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I like a good Kolsch too. Hmmm. Maybe I should brew one too!!

ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Love Kolsch.

I'm drinking the lavender wit bier I split with T-58 and US-05. The T-58 version is yum, but the US-05 version has Diacetyl, I guess it should have sat on the cake longer, but I don't recall ever having to do a Diacetyl rest with US-05... I think I'll let that batch sit for a while and see if the yeast in the bottles uptake some of it. I haven't had a Diacetyl issue in a long time.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

@mashani-sometimes I read a pro brewers forum just because I'm a nerd but not that long ago one brewer wrote that he seems to always have some diacetyl with 05 and they said that almost all yeasts can give it out if not allowed to rest a few days.
I ferment at 66 for all my ales and stouts then raise to 68 or 69 (which for many, isn't high enough) and then cold crash. In the last 5 years, I don't recall ever having this problem. Some also mentioned oxygenation can help and others, more yeast nutrient.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Kealia wrote: And I like an occasional hef, if it leans towards the banana side.
It seems like mine are a little more banana and the way I like them too, but can get a whif or small taste of cloves also. I use WLP-300 and 60-40% and a German noble for bittering and that's all the hops used. 1 Lt starter and ferment on the cooler side. I would think I would get more clove, but happy more banana. :banana: :banana: :banana:
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Beer-lord wrote:@mashani-sometimes I read a pro brewers forum just because I'm a nerd but not that long ago one brewer wrote that he seems to always have some diacetyl with 05 and they said that almost all yeasts can give it out if not allowed to rest a few days.
I ferment at 66 for all my ales and stouts then raise to 68 or 69 (which for many, isn't high enough) and then cold crash. In the last 5 years, I don't recall ever having this problem. Some also mentioned oxygenation can help and others, more yeast nutrient.
This fermented ~66, but I didn't raise the temps, I generally don't have to do that since I pitch so much yeast. But it is quite strong. It actually is totally overpowering the aroma of the lavender with the buttery smell, where the lavender is aroma is noticeable in the the T-58 version. All I know for sure is I am not a fan of it LOL.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

berryman wrote:
Kealia wrote: And I like an occasional hef, if it leans towards the banana side.
It seems like mine are a little more banana and the way I like them too, but can get a whif or small taste of cloves also. I use WLP-300 and 60-40% and a German noble for bittering and that's all the hops used. 1 Lt starter and ferment on the cooler side. I would think I would get more clove, but happy more banana. :banana: :banana: :banana:
You would likely get more cloves if you do a step mash with an acid/protein rest. It is one of the few places a step mash actually really changes the way a beer tastes because those low rest steps also create a precursor the yeast can use to make the clove.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Tapped my Four Point Pale Ale last night. Forgot to post a picture then, so here it is tonight. It’s been a while since the last time I made this and it’s just as good as it was then. It’s a solid, balanced pale ale.

ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

BD, that pic. makes me want to drink that.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

berryman wrote:BD, that pic. makes me want to drink that.
Yep, nice pic there! I like the focus of the water on the table and the blurry sky. I'm envious!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

The picture was taken with the portrait mode on my iPhone.

ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Beer-lord wrote:@mashani-sometimes I read a pro brewers forum just because I'm a nerd but not that long ago one brewer wrote that he seems to always have some diacetyl with 05 and they said that almost all yeasts can give it out if not allowed to rest a few days.
Well, this beer with the 05 has gotten better with some more age in the bottle, especially after I stuck the whole batch in an 80 degree screen porch for 24 hours. Still it does have a bit of diacetyl, but now if I blend the 05 and T58 together it's a pretty good beer without being able to notice it. I do still like the T58 batch better on it's own but that's because I like the spicy phenols mixed with the citrus. Someone who didn't like them would probably like the blend better. The 05 batch even if it didn't have the diacetyl would be kind of boring for ME I'm afraid, I would have needed to amp up the orange/coriander and maybe added some grains of paradise or something to make it more interesting for my tastes. (it would be fine for a BMC kind of person though).
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

So I popped a bottle of the low ABV dry stout I made with a bit of coriander added. This bottle is the "trub" bottle which is actually a blend of the US-05 and T-58 batches of it because I had 1/2 bottle of each left in each fermenter, so why not?

It's only been in the bottle for 2 weeks (at somewhat warm temperatures) and this blended beer is great. 3-4% ABV dry stouts do not need a lot of aging, unlike stronger ones.

The coriander, it is mellow, I don't think anyone would identify it as such. It just makes it seem more refreshing on this hot day - just a very slight lemony citrus. I used half as much as I'd use in a wit bier.

I don't know what the individual ones taste like yet, but I know worst case I can blend them and have something quite nice.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Well the US-05 version of this stout is quite nice, just like a Dry Irish stout but with a small twist of lemon. It does not have the diacetyl issue like the previous US-05 beer did. No hint of it at all. So I have no clue what happened with that other beer. This one did condition warmer, so maybe that is it? Will try T-58 version tomorrow.