I deserve a homebrew because....

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Re: I deserve a homebrew because....

Post by FedoraDave »

...because my schedule tomorrow (Saturday) is insane. I have no idea when I'll be done, but I may not get home until nearly 5:00, which sucks for a Saturday. And I'll be tired and sore and disgusted. And I'm going to miss a production of Peter Pan by a community theater group that a colleague of my wife is involved in. We've gone to a lot of their shows, and they're always fun, and I'd like to show my support, but I know I won't be up to it.

And I only get one day off - Sunday - and then Monday's schedule isn't much better.

I'm getting too old for this.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Old Smokey Amber Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
100 Years War IPA -- Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

...because I've been in a weight-loss contest for the first three months of 2016. As a result, I've cut down to 1 to 2 beers per week (as opposed to my typical 4-5 per week). It's not fun, but I'm currently in first place out of eight entrants, and stand to win $140 if I can keep it up for 3 more weeks. Lost 8 pounds so far. Would like to drop 2-3 more.

Once March is over, though: :beer:
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Crazy Climber wrote:...because I've been in a weight-loss contest for the first three months of 2016. As a result, I've cut down to 1 to 2 beers per week (as opposed to my typical 4-5 per week). It's not fun, but I'm currently in first place out of eight entrants, and stand to win $140 if I can keep it up for 3 more weeks. Lost 8 pounds so far. Would like to drop 2-3 more.

Once March is over, though: :beer:
Cheers to you and good luck!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Crazy Climber wrote:stand to win $140 if I can keep it up for 3 more weeks.
I thought anything more than 4 hours was cause for a call to your doctor.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

:lol:
Well, good luck with the weight loss.
Dave, I hope you get a nice break soon.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Because I just moved my father in-law from independent living in an apartment with meals and some assistance to assisted living, on Friday. Spent days arranging things, spent from noon until 6:30 moving him. He went from not being near his wife for two years, seeing her every few weeks, to being in a connecting building.

After all our efforts, he said "what do you mean I can't have dinner with her every night, "they told me I could". I didn't sign up for this." Edit - there is no "they", no one told him anything.

Ain't power of attorney wonderful! :whistle:

We stopped at Carrabba's for dinner, too tired to cook. Had two Two Hearted. Homebrew tonight.
Last edited by RickBeer on Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Sorry Rick. We went through some of that with my grandparents. Fortunately my mom and in-laws can still manage without assistance, mostly.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Thanks. I mostly posted it for the irony.

It's really amazing how many people don't plan for getting old. My in-laws are in their 90s. Over the years they refused to discuss any plans. When they did, it was "we'll get the girl down the street to help us". Of course, it wasn't any "girl" in particular, and whoever it was would not be trained to help anyone (as in proper way to lift, etc.). About 8 years ago I literally had to force them into doing paperwork for durable power of attorney for my wife (only child) to be able to make medical decisions for them if the other person was unable (i.e. husband makes for wife, but if husband unable/unwilling then daughter). 2 1/2 years ago a health issue led to a cascade of events from hospitals to rehab to assisted living for one and independent living for the other (after 4 months of independent living disaster together). Now the 2nd is in assisted living. And after two years they are "together", although in adjoining buildings and with frequent visits (vs. every 3 - 6 weeks for the past two years). But the bitchin' will continue. It just gets tiring.

I urge everyone to make sure they do Living Wills, Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare, Durable Power of Attorney for Financial Affairs, and of course a will. The first three can be done from templates on the internet, then your bank may offer free notary service, and provide two witnesses (bank employees). I say this - but my wife and I still need to do them.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

Because I was just accepted into a doctoral program, to start in May. A clinical doctorate is the entry level degree for my profession now, but I was grandfathered in with a B.S. Now I’m finally to the point where I figure, if I’m doing the work and taking the responsibility, why not have the degree that goes with it? It’s a 2-year program that I’m going to try and accelerate into a year, maybe a year and a half.
I’ll probably have to rely more on extract brewing during that time, just because of the time involved but hey, I made good beer with extracts before I ever tried all-grain.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Congrats alb!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Rayyankee
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Rayyankee »

Congrats Alb :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :urock:
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

That's awesome alb!

Good luck to you... Hard work pays off!

:cool:
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Dr. Alb. "Alb, Dr. Alb." Intriguing.

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

congrats, alb.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Great news and congrats alb!
PABs Brewing
Planning