Nano Brewery Startup

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Re: Nano Brewery Startup

Post by FrozenInTime »

Done bro! I'm donator #3. Good luck, wish you all the best in this venture. I hope to visit your brewery some day. Save a cold one for me.

Come one, come all, give the man a hand. Every little bit helps!
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
BradyFumbled

Post by BradyFumbled »

#4! Good luck bro.
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

#5 is in the books!

Couple of suggestions if you decide to re-shoot the video.

1. Put a cover plate on the switch/outlet box, or change the wall you shoot against.
2. Even out the lighting. Either add a 2nd light for the other side of the presenter, or add a filter (wax paper) or bounce the light (shiny umbrella) and have the single light be straight on instead of off to the side. That will get rid of the hot spots and help even out the lighting.

Other than that, good content! Hope my comments are taken as constructive, as I'm not trying to be overly critical. Video production and Internet broadcasting is what I do for a living, so these kind of things jump out at me right away. Let me know if you want any other tips. I'd be happy to chat and do what I can to help (from almost 1,000 miles away...)

Good luck!!!

:urock:
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Funky Skunk Brewing »

Thank you VERY much guys!!!! It means a lot to have the :borg: behind this project.

gwcr - Yeah, we will reshoot the video most likely this weekend I'm sure. We actually shot it late at night as we thought Kickstarter was going to be a faster process, so we wanted to get something up quicker than expected. Like I said, it was/is not the best by any means, but it got the point across.

Thanks for the tips on it as well. I take all thoughts, suggestions and comments as constructive :) Thanks for the support and the suggestions. Off to a good start, just hoping the momentum carries through. Of course, I will keep everyone posted on updates and progress on the campaign.

Thank you once again!!!!

:urock: :urock: :urock:
Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
DirtRacer
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by DirtRacer »

Glad to see the updates and that Kickstarer is up and running. I saw your other post about if you don't reach the goal you don't get anything. Have you checked out http://www.indiegogo.com/? If I remember right, you will receive any money donated regardless of whether or not the goal is reached. I hope you reach you reach it anyway with Kickstarter but something to consider for future expansions and upgrades. :fedora:
Good judgment comes from experience, which comes from poor judgment.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

We had a local restaurant that got kicked out of their location due to demolition start a campaign on one of the other sites where they get all of the money even if the goal isn't reached, and can use it for any purpose. They barely got 1/3 of their goal, people saw the reality of that type of process. At least with Kickstarter there's some sense that things are being done on the up and up.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Thanks guys.

Yes, I have looked into other crowd source/funding avenues and saw the ones mentioned and others that you are able to receive all funds pledged to your project. We went with Kickstarter as it is the most widely known and respected (to me) out there. If we are not successful with meeting our goal, other types of crowd funding options will be explored.

I did like the fact you received whatever funds were pledged on other sites. Though they seemed to be less than professional in some ways. Maybe it was just the way they looked or felt to me. Though as I said, we will only go that route if Kickstarter is unsuccessful.

Thanks again to everyone for all the continued support!!!
Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Funky Skunk Brewing wrote:I did like the fact you received whatever funds were pledged on other sites. Though they seemed to be less than professional in some ways. Maybe it was just the way they looked or felt to me. Though as I said, we will only go that route if Kickstarter is unsuccessful.
That's exactly how they come off - unprofessional. More of a "thanks for the money". When this local restaurant ran their campaign, it was derided on the local "newspaper" website as a half-assed attempt to get more money in their pockets. The bank has asked for a lot of money up front to give them a loan, and they seem to not have anywhere near that amount despite being in business for many decades before they lost their location. Hence I wasn't surprised when they fell well short of their goal.

To me, anyone using a site to raise money should ensure (as it seems you did) that the site is stringent enough to lend credibility to the group raising the money, i.e. it doesn't come off as "hey, we want some money, dude". And to me, when someone uses any of these sites to raise money it sends me the message that they aren't a formal enough business to acquire money in the traditional manner, which immediately knocks them down the ladder of credible businesses.

I've been exposed to a few startups in the past few years, which differ from startups before them. Just because you're 20 years old and have a neat idea doesn't mean it's a company, nor should have a "valuation" of more than $1.00. The BS ideas that are out there, with funding, are laughable. I had one "CEO" call me while he was getting his flat fixed at the car dealer, because he didn't know that the tire stores do it in a few minutes and no, it's not under warranty.

I went to pains to say "to me" because it's my perception. Worth something to me, nothing to anyone else.

I hope you're successful in your business, the world needs more breweries.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

RickBeer wrote:
Funky Skunk Brewing wrote:I did like the fact you received whatever funds were pledged on other sites. Though they seemed to be less than professional in some ways. Maybe it was just the way they looked or felt to me. Though as I said, we will only go that route if Kickstarter is unsuccessful.
That's exactly how they come off - unprofessional. More of a "thanks for the money". When this local restaurant ran their campaign, it was derided on the local "newspaper" website as a half-assed attempt to get more money in their pockets. The bank has asked for a lot of money up front to give them a loan, and they seem to not have anywhere near that amount despite being in business for many decades before they lost their location. Hence I wasn't surprised when they fell well short of their goal.

To me, anyone using a site to raise money should ensure (as it seems you did) that the site is stringent enough to lend credibility to the group raising the money, i.e. it doesn't come off as "hey, we want some money, dude". And to me, when someone uses any of these sites to raise money it sends me the message that they aren't a formal enough business to acquire money in the traditional manner, which immediately knocks them down the ladder of credible businesses.

I've been exposed to a few startups in the past few years, which differ from startups before them. Just because you're 20 years old and have a neat idea doesn't mean it's a company, nor should have a "valuation" of more than $1.00. The BS ideas that are out there, with funding, are laughable. I had one "CEO" call me while he was getting his flat fixed at the car dealer, because he didn't know that the tire stores do it in a few minutes and no, it's not under warranty.

I went to pains to say "to me" because it's my perception. Worth something to me, nothing to anyone else.

I hope you're successful in your business, the world needs more breweries.
I could not agree with you more, Rick.

The other sites come off as just more of begging for funds rather than putting a professional plan together, offering legitimate rewards/benefits and just having a general overall professional BUSINESS look and feel. Any person with an "idea" can beg (ask) people for funding. Likely not receiving it of course, due to the fact most can see how well you have prepared or not and exerted efforts to come across as you actually know what you are doing.

I went through a long process of market research, market segmentation, discovery work with other brewers/breweries, developing a business plan and moving forward with it over the better part of the last two years to get where we are today. Is it the be-all end-all of plans for a brewery? Probably not. However we have been met with nothing but support, good praise and constant input from those I trust in, believe and hold in high regards as business people and brewing in our efforts.

Beginning a brewery, and any business for that matter does not just happen over night. It's more than just an idea and trying to move forward immediately. I know I spend more time in front of a computer, on the phone or meeting with people to learn more about what we are getting in to, how we can move forward and learn from others mistakes and successes to make our path easier if it can be done.

This is all about having your ducks in a row and being able to convey the passion, dream and overall drive to someone you may not even know or have met in person to believe in your same goal and assist you with that ultimate dream with funding support. It's not always all about the bottom line (I know it really is) but people are not investing in your bottom line, they don't see a penny of that in the end. They are in investing in the dream and ultimate goal you have poured your heart into and that alone has to be the driving force of your business plan. Especially when it comes to the type of crowd sourcing/finding ventures such as Kickstarter.

Thanks again for the support, Rick and everyone here on the Borg!!!!
Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Ok, so we are little into the 4th day of the Kickstarter campaign and we are up to $236 pledged to this point. I want to first thank everyone that has pledged so far right here from the Borg as it means a lot to have your confidence and backing in this endeavor. I'm sure it will keep gaining momentum as the campaign moves forward. It's always awesome to get those notification emails saying that another backer has pledged to the project.

Now that the weather is getting back to normal in our area, I am going to be reaching out to our local news paper outlets here to see if they would be interested in running a piece on the "up & coming" brewery and the new Kickstarter campaign to generate some local attention towards it. Couldn't hurt if they agree to do it I don't think. I really want to show we are a locally minded business that intends on keeping everything we possibly can local to our area and focus on being a part of the ever growing locally owned and operated business boom our area is seeing.

Just an update and another HUGE thank you to everyone for the support and pledges!!!!

:wow: :thanks: :urock:
Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I think that is a great idea Skunk. I saw your posting about the Amber, I'm glad it rated well. Do I recall that you have won awards in other competition? If so, don't be modest about sharing that info.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

John Sand wrote:I think that is a great idea Skunk. I saw your posting about the Amber, I'm glad it rated well. Do I recall that you have won awards in other competition? If so, don't be modest about sharing that info.
Thank you, John. I do hope some get something out of all my posts, which may ramble on at times. But I am just trying to be as detailed as I can with this process.

Yeah, the Amber (old recipe) has won Best in Show at a few competitions in 2013. This recipe is forever being tweaked to find that perfect combination of everything to make it our signature beer. And the Liberty APA has taken gold in a few competitions as well. To me though, the competitions are more for the feedback and insight from the different judges and their own unique pallets. It is nice to win a medal of course, though I am more in them to make sure the beer is where it needs to be and if not, what needs/could be improved from outside tasters.
Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I agree with that view as a brewer trying to improve his recipes and techniques. But as a brewer trying to build support and sell beer, I think you should share news of your successes with the public. Just my 2c.
Never mind, there it is.
Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

John Sand wrote:I agree with that view as a brewer trying to improve his recipes and techniques. But as a brewer trying to build support and sell beer, I think you should share news of your successes with the public. Just my 2c.
Taken and agreed with to be honest. I just don't want to put any false pretenses out there of beers that did win awards from past recipes to be confused with others is all. We are always tweaking recipes, portions, etc. in hopes of reaching a superior result. Though in marketing materials and other outlets we make sure to say which beers are award winning, as we are very proud of those accomplishments.
Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Sounds good Skunk. I believe in your brewery because you have clearly carefully thought it through.
Never mind, there it is.